Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I freakin' bother???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:55 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by OriginalSterm
Too bad you'll never see the money from that women that hit you. Trust me, never let anyone off the hook. Let them pay the fine, take them to small claims court, and put a lien on their car for payment of yours if they can't pay.
Don't want to come across harsh but I have to agree with the above statement. In this day and age it is unthinkable to drive a vehicle without minimum liability. If they cannot afford the insurance they should not drive. Imagine if they hit & maim a bicyclist then smile their way out of it. It's wrong, very wrong.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:01 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you guys checked the averages lately i heard somewhere that it slike 1/3 of all drivers dont have ins. Why do you think that the other 2/3 of us who do have to have uninsured motorist coverage on our policy...

Mark
Old 09-19-2003, 11:02 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Murhpeys Law, its only cause you washed and waxed it If you hadnt washed it....

Sorry man, that sucks. At least here in canada its law to have insurence.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:04 AM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just gonna say that - if I get caught without my insurance papers (which I did last week), they make you park the car until you can take the papers to the police station. Oh, and they wrote me a nice $800 ticket, just incase I don't show up with the papers!

944S Boyeee
Old 09-19-2003, 11:19 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not making excuses or anything but with the cost of auto insurance these days some people just cannot afford it. Remember in most communities public transportation is just not a viable option to get to work.

So driving is just not a privalege it is a necessity in order to earn a living. Paying so much for something that does not immediately show dividends is a tough choice some of those who are less fortunate have to make.

Now of course if one of those "dirtbags" hit my car I'd be highly pissed! :-)
Old 09-19-2003, 11:26 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by EZRider
Don't want to come across harsh but I have to agree with the above statement. In this day and age it is unthinkable to drive a vehicle without minimum liability. If they cannot afford the insurance they should not drive. Imagine if they hit & maim a bicyclist then smile their way out of it. It's wrong, very wrong.
Funny you say that. Several years ago, my Dad got hit on his bike by a high school kid. My Dad was lucky and landed on the only patch of grass on the entire block. The kid said he was sorry, but fortunately my Dad was ok. Can't say the same for his bike. The kid told him he'd pay for it, took my Dad's name and number, and that was the end of that. Never paid one red cent, got away because my Dad never reported it.

Don't trust anyone, unfortunately, I had to learn this the hard way in life. People here seem to be genuine, but this place is a very rare find.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:42 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

You bother cause there is nothing like driving around in your shiney porsche!!! windows down roof off!!! sunny day! sorry that you had to be hit. At least you know who did yours in....
Old 09-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hearing about incidents like this really pisses me off. You can't trust anyone. A few years ago my dad was driving to my grand parents in our 30k mile '88 VW Cabrio. He was approaching a stop light on a major street and was in the turn lane slowing down. The traffic stopped to let an F250 pull out from a gas station, the guy was trying to cut across the road to go the other direction. He never even looked and lightly clipped the side of thr Rabbit.

Turns out the guy was a friend of a friend something. He said he was late for his kids high school graduation. I had just graduated from HS the year before so I guess dad's fatherly sympathetic instincts kicked in. Plus he was a friend of a friend, good enough vouch right? So they agreed to talk on Monday and settle up.

We'll wouldn't you know it the guy played hard to get. Finally one day he said, his insurance company was sending over someone to take pictures of the damage. The photographer turned to be a bogus PI that just happened to work out of the same office complex as the F250 driver. They ended up turning the story around to the insurance company and saying my dad was at fault. After a year of chasing the guy's insurance we finally gave up.

Moral of the story, let them get the ticket they deserve. When they whine just tell em tough titty. People are less responsible these days then ever. With out a police report you have nothing to stand on.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:51 AM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

The last time I rode a motorcycle was when some idiot pulled a left turn in front of me, and then stopped when he finally saw me, while he was still blocking both lanes. This jerk had JUST GOTTEN OUT OF JAIL for driving without a license and guess what: Still no license or insurance. Totaled my bike, and I ended up with a broken wrist and collarbone from my swan dive over his car (I layed the bike down hitting his car just behind the front wheel, and just launched off of it. He got to see my legs go rolling past his front windshield, and I ended up on the street on the other side of his car.)

Not only did I lose my favorite bike that day (Kawasaki KZ650), but also my ability to ever ride street bikes again (yeah, I'm whipped). Jerkoff ended up in jail again (my tax dollars at work supporting him) and I ended up with nothing from this incident.

Yeah, there are all kinds of new laws out there regarding mandatory insurance, but they will never be effective. Here in California, if the situation gets too hot for the uninsured driver after an accident, they just head back south of the border. And now our illustrious Gray Davis has decided that illegal immigrants should be able to get drivers licenses. Huh??? I guess that driving in California is a right, not a priviledge, and the folks who buy insurance should shoulder the burden of those who choose not to. Yup, there's a democrat in office.

Tom
Old 09-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Isnt it funny how we (the insured people) have to pay a uninsured motorist premium- Illinois hs been a manditory insurance state for decades, and I have been hit by 3 people- ALL without insurance in the last 10 years.

all in other vehicles I might add- the 924s WAS backed into in a parking lot about 6 months ago- Yep, hit and run.

..now if we could only control shopping carts in the parking lots...
Old 09-19-2003, 01:08 PM
GTZ
Instructor

I know I should be more pissed about this, but with everything that has happened in my life in the last two years, this ranks pretty low. I guess the older I get I'mthe less I'm affected by idiots like this. I just thank my luck stars that it's only a bumper shock and not worse.
Besides, if they don't pay, I'll kill them
J?K of course

Randy
Old 09-19-2003, 01:17 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Brings to mind a couple of funny sayings:

Some People are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

There are very few situations that cannot be remedied by the application of high-explosives.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Wagz
Racer

Sorry to hear bro, if someone did that to me, i would be off the handle for sure. Good luck with gettin her fixed though!

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 09-19-2003, 04:10 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m happy insurance is required up here. I can’t imagine the trouble of being hit by a non-insured motorist. Hope you can get the ’44 fixed up quick!

Derek
Old 09-19-2003, 04:13 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by GTZ
Life's to short to get all bent over this. Don't sweat the petty things, but pet the sweaty things.... or something like that.

Randy
That is a great attitude to have. I hope that if anyone ever backs into my car that I'll be able to realize that at least I still have my health, that alone would make me more fortunate than many people out there.

Quick Reply: Why do I freakin' bother???