Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, need alot of encouragement guys!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 08:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Man, Andy, sorry to hear about that. Now you have learned the hard way to never wax a satin finish, especially if it is the slightest bit rough.

Dawn and hot water should remove the wax.

What type of paint did you use when you painted it? Acrylic enamel or lacquer?

Jeremy
Old 09-18-2003, 08:51 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enamel, I didn't think I could, but it was recommended to me to do it. I can't blame that person, only myself for going againt my first instincts.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:01 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :)

Hang in there man, Paint can be fixed. the mechanics are the important part
Old 09-18-2003, 09:06 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Not to change the topic, but maybe it will help make you feel better. Those headlights look killer, can you take some more pics of them? I really wantt o do something similar to my 951.

Regards, ...Scott
Old 09-18-2003, 09:17 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, well enamel is good. It's less likely to be "buffed" by trying to remove the wax. Try to remove the wax first before you think that all is lost, you're probably OK here.........

Jeremy
Old 09-18-2003, 09:37 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Andy; you have already done what most would not have tried. The car is getting there and it already looks good. Ask Brian about how many times he was so frustrated he could have thrown the wrenches. No lecture ,but good things are never easy . We all want to see that car finished,Cause like Brian, we beat the car ,the car didn't beat us. And like Brian promised ,I expect a ride in it when you are done Dude.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:23 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, a few hours later, a half pack of ciggarettes, some thinking and some kind words from you guys, I'm cooled off. I may get up early tomorrow and see what I can do with some Dawn. I'm not reserving hope though. I'm thinking this will give me a chance to perfect my paintjob. I'll probably wetsand it down and respray the outside of the car leaving most of it together. Dunno, well see how it goes. I haven't done anything negative beyond killing my paintjob, so I'm past the hard part. Scott, thank, I love the lights too, luckily, I stayed away from them, the paint is about a month fresher than the rest of the car. I'll see what I can find in the line of pics for you. Thanks for the encouragement guys, we'll see if I can pull it off before the show? Thanks, Andy Kihm
Old 09-19-2003, 03:58 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dawn!! You can do it, don't worry. Just take a few deep breaths, and see her in all her glory; don't sweat the small stuff, you know!

And in the worst case scenario happens, still take the car to the show, as everyone's done this at least once in their life. Porsche owners are much more forgiving than other cars. We may be picky as all hell, but that's on our own cars.

I love the effort you put into your car, with those killer headlights.

- Julie
Old 09-19-2003, 04:13 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wipe it off using some starter fluid as a cleaner, or carb. cleaner. Cleans off most anything.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:22 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

andy,

calm down, take deep breaths. wax does not ruin paint, unless you did it in the sun, or when the paint was hot.

if you didnt wax it when the paint was hot or in the sun, you are ok, as wax can be taken off. its all reversable. life is good, and so's your baby. nad you will have her good again by the time of the show. if you run out of time, bring her anyways as everyone will ohh and ahh over your swap.

1st of all what kinda wax did you use? the wrong kind of wax will look like ****. zymol, while a very good wax, especially in paste form, will streak and look blotchy. but, its one of the most heralded waxes out there. (people who show cars with zymol know the secret of how to fix that and make it like glass).

if youre gonna wax it, use zaino bros or my new favorite griots garage. both are smooth as silk, and look flawless no matter who applicates it.
wet sanding is bad. last resort thing.

wash it, get some 3m rubbing compound, and an orbital buffer. it will strip wax off, as well as a small layer of paint, make it even again, and just like brand new.

infact even better idea. go to your local automotive paint supply place. bring the car along if you can, so you can show em. they wil;l tell you what to use, how to use it, and how to bring her back. detailing places will want your buisness and wont give up secrets. (remember when i burned my paint under my hood bra? went through alot of bs asking people for help).
when your at a paint supply place, they dont do the work, they just sell the products. the people there know how to do everything, and have tried every product. they will know what to do.

we will talk and check it out at the show. you better bring it too, cause ive gotta see that swap!
Old 09-19-2003, 05:30 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally posted by triscadek
Wipe it off using some starter fluid as a cleaner, or carb. cleaner. Cleans off most anything.
NO!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is too abrasive, and will ruin your paint.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:42 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

it looks great to me,seriously!looks like it came from the military or something.maybe you could post some more pics at different angles.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:46 AM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

dude, you have one of the baddest cars i have ever seen. not the baddest 944, or the baddest porsche, one of THE baddest cars i have ever seen. don't let some stupid wax get you down.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:43 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

So what happened??? Did you get to the wash?
Old 09-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Andy, if you get to the point of wanting to try it, I have some PPG Wax and Silicone Remover. It is recommended not to use Dawn as a car wash solution because it WILL strip your wax so I would try that first. If you need the other stuff, let me know.

Quick Reply: Ok, need alot of encouragement guys!!!