Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 944 competitive in autoX ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 01:55 PM
soundboy4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ben plaisted, your the 951 kid i met right? i still have those pics of your car if you still want 'em man.

my first autocross was this sunday too and i did pretty well, but there's definitely a lot of things i can improve on.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bret's 944 N/As
My guess is E Stock, since that is what my stock '88 944 is in, and Sunday a stock '84 944 was in there...
In SCCA Solo II Stock classes, here is the breakdown of the 924/944/968 series: (Click HERE for SCCA classifications webside)
Stock:
B-Stock (BS): 951, 951S, 944S, 944S2, 968
E-Stock (ES): 931 (924 Turbo), 924S, 944-8v
H-Stock (HS): 924

In street prepared classes, here's the breakdown:
A-Street prepared: (ASP): 931, 944S, 944S2, 951, 951S, 968
C-Street prepared: (CSP): 924S, 944-8v
D-Street prepared: (DSP): 924
----------------------------------------------------------
As far as PCA (Porsche club) autocrossing goes, there is a classification that PCA National puts out, but each region typically adapts their own classes, loosely based on PCA national. (PCA autox classifications PDF: see page 17)
Here's what PCA national classifies our cars as:
Stock:
P5: 924
P6: 924S, 931, 944 (83-88)
P7: 944S, 944 (2.7l '89)
P8: 951
P9: 951S (88), 951 (89), 944S2, 968
M3: 924 Carrera GT (!), 924 Carrera GTR/GTS
NY Metro has the following classes: (In line with national): (NY Metro classifications chart]
Stock:
P5: 924
P6: 924S, 931, 944 (83-88)
P7: 944S, 944(2.7l, 89)
P8: 951 (86-88)
P9: 951S, 951 (89), 944S2, 968
Modified:
M4: All modified 4-cyl Porsches.
For my region (NNJR), here's the breakdown: (NNJR classifications & rules)
Stock:
S1: 924
S2: 931
S3: 944, 924S
S7: 951, 951S, 944S, 944S2, 968

Improved:
I1: All

Modified:
M1: All
So, the bottom line: classification really depends on what organization and what region you are running with.

Yeah, I know: too much information here!!
-Zoltan.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:45 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

I'm looking at getting into auto-xing this summer, but I'm wondering what class I'd be put in.

Right now I just have Koni Yellow's on the rear, but this winter I'm throwing some Koni Yellows and new springs upfront. Will this change my class from stock? My car came with the sport suspension option, M475 or something like that.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Z-man
Race Director

iloveporsches: the answer to your question is: "It depends." check with your region's autocross chair. Most likely, since your car came with 474 (Sport shocks), and Koni Yellows are part of that, provided you put in the same diameter and weight springs in the front, you'll probably remain in the appropriate stock class for your car.

-Z.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:51 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Thanks Z-Man, I'll have to check into that before I order all my parts.

I'll actually get some auto-x experience before that, with Formula SAE. For some reason I don't think my 944 will feel as good at handling after driving a purpose-built race car
Old 09-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Formula SAE: is that the college competition where students build a racer? Fantastic program! Actually, my PCA region is a sponsor for the Rutgers U. effort.

-Z.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:01 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Forumula SAE sucks here at ERAU. so we started a karting club we are now far ahead of SAE in terms of having a race ready vehicle.

-Michael-
Old 09-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

You were horribly misclassed. If A2 is anything like the national AS category, they were way off. A 944 8v should be in ES with small displacement miatas and na MR2s.

My advice:
  • Ride with experienced low-mid power rwd drivers (the miata is probably the most common).
  • Have them ride with you to advise you.
  • Go to every local event you can for the seat time.
  • Join the PCA and drive with them.
  • Buy some good competitive street tires. What size do you use now? How big are your rims? Given where you live, you might not want high performance tires that suck in rain and snow (like mine) for everyday use, so it might be a good idea to get a second set of rims (same size to avoid classing penalties) and put high performance street tires on those and run them on the track only. Then when you're more experienced, put some Kuhmo Victoracer V700s on them.
  • Have fun, you're going to suck for a while. If it was simple to master the first time, it wouldn't be worth doing.

Also...I drive an Acura RSX (DS) and a 951 (ASP). I've been autocrossing 8 times now, and I still drive the Acura better than the Porsche. A Porsche (or any higher performance car) takes more skill to drive than a FWD coupe, but once you have the skill, its true potential will show.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Ben Plaisted
Racer

Originally posted by soundboy4
[B]ben plaisted, your the 951 kid i met right? i still have those pics of your car if you still want 'em man.
Nope it wasn't me unless you were in Augusta, Maine on sunday
Old 09-17-2003, 06:17 PM
xero
Intermediate

I'd say work on your driving techniques.. My first autoX was when my 944 was down and I took my brother's cavalier out and ran.. I came pretty close to beating a bimmer but I just couldn't get enough runs in. I believe I could have beaten him and a few other cars had I been allowed to run again. One of the things that helps is walking the track, heal-toe-downshifting, driving a clean line and a correct seating posture. If your good you can modulate the pedal for throttle steer. Knowing exactly where to put the car will help also. Concentrate on taking each turn correctly and as fast as you possibly can. Thats what I did on my second lap and gained 6/10 of a second. Got 2.5 seconds faster on the 3rd lap. LEARNING THE COURSE will keep you at least qualified. I wasn't exactly a newbie I live on and play on the backroads so that gave me a working knowledge of how to go about putting the car where it needed to be.

My first lap I didn't even qualify. I didn't go out to place I went out to test my skills and see where I was as far as a driver. I had an instructor ride with me and I was able to do everything he told me - he was impressed with my car control beyond the limits and told me I just needed more seat time. I usually push what ever car I'm in so I know a little bit about extracting performance out of what ever car I'm driving. I suggest taking an instructor, practicing doing what he tells you and getting it down with some valuable seat time.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:39 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Formula SAE: is that the college competition where students build a racer? Fantastic program! Actually, my PCA region is a sponsor for the Rutgers U. effort.
Yes, it is! And it is an awesome program. SCCA actually gave FSAE it's own class this year. I really want to get some seat time behind one, but last year's car is currently in pieces being examined by this year's Senior Design Team. University of Illinois supposedly runs a driver's training program for FSAE so they get the best drivers for the competitions. I need to find out more about all of this, but I'm hoping it starts soon.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by M758
944-spec prepared cars are quite quick and around here are amoing the top 5 fast cars overall at all PCA autocrosses. Most of us don't do SCCA since their courses are tighter and we get less run time.

Now, based on SCCA rules 944 get the short end of the stick and will have hard time in class, but they can be fun anyway and reasonable fast. A nicely prepared and well driven 944 can be very strong at any autocross although probably never the top dog.
Your PCA autox's are more open and fun than the SCCA ones??? Wow, it is exactly opposite around here right now. Hopefully it will change soon though.

Stick with the autoxing man. Everyone sucks coming out. I DNF'd my very first run. It is funny when I was running the Prelude and I would have all of these guys with their drag/riced/street-flashy cars come up to mine and talk to me and compliment the car, then they would talk smack to me or someone else being their first time. Then they go out and find out how much they have to learn about driving. You do not learn how to be a good autoxer on the street or even the track for that matter. It takes some seat time and eventually you will begin to pick things up. Then you can apply that knowledge to the street and at the track where you will pick up track driving much quicker. Take a ride with some experienced guys and pick up a book or two on driving. The book may confuse you at first but then the more you run the more you will "get it". I think the 944 is a very good car to run and can really embarass some of that new or bigger technology.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:26 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I think I read every post and I'm suprised nobody mention the fact that if his car is original, his shocks are 20 years old.

My first AutoX with my 87 S was back in 97. I found out that day that my rear shocks were gone. It rode fine on the highway, did nothing when pushed hard.

Again, this is up to your local club, but usually you can get away with upgrades that were original on newer or different variations of the same car. An easy example to explain what I'm getting at. Upgrade your car to M030 suspension and brakes. Most clubs won't penalize you for upgrading your car to what it could have been ordered with new. 16" and maybe 17" wheels are not out of the question either. Depends on how picky they get. My 87 came with the 16" wheel option. I'm not sure if any came with 17". Help me out here guys.

Bottom line, they are great cars, just getting old. A "refreshed" 944 should be able to hold its own if placed in the correct class. I also agree with everyone there that seat time is more important than anything.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Keep it up, practice, practice, practice, and more practice.
I've done my first three this year, and was hoping to get three more in but my clutch is not thinking the same way I am.

I've taken 3rd place at all three so far, but my local club puts me in "B-Prepared" every time and I run against vetern drivers in heavily modded cars. The first event I was 5-6 seconds off 1st, second event 2-3 seconds off 1st, and the last one I was beat out of 1st by 1 second and 2nd by .08 seconds. Next event they are MINE!! (damn clutch)

Jason
Old 09-18-2003, 01:10 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I think I read every post and I'm suprised nobody mention the fact that if his car is original, his shocks are 20 years old.
Good catch! My shocks are original and they have 177K miles on them. I am currently in the process of upgrading to a M030 package on my car as well, as currently it is very floaty and soft for me.

Quick Reply: Is 944 competitive in autoX ?