Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 sound systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 12:19 AM
944teen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 sound systems

I am looking to upgrade the sound system in my car soon because it has blown speakers and could really use a new head unit. Has anyone out there redone there entire sound system? Im curious as to what speaker/head unit/amp/sub setup other people put into these cars
Old 08-16-2015, 08:25 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

+1 on the speakers, what is the max standard speaker size that will fit in the rear quarter pannels an remain stealth?
Old 08-16-2015, 02:49 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have...I didn't go stealth since I didn't need my rear seat, but here's what I did.

(My apologies for the parts/tools in my car, I'm currently installing a K27-6 as my 26-6 ate itself...)

Alpine CDE-153BT Head Unit

Name:  20150816_132458_zpsqtiiy9qe.jpg
Views: 2835
Size:  205.9 KB

Alpine Power Pack (4 channel solid state miniature amplifier) tucked into the back of the glove box

Name:  20150816_132716_zpspg20ghng.jpg
Views: 2284
Size:  223.2 KB

Home-made rear seat delete with two 6x9 Alpines and a 500 watt single channel amp for my subs in the back

Name:  20150816_132550_zpsvlfunk9k.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  535.6 KB

I don't have pics of the door and rear panel speakers...they are both standard 4x6's (actually Polk Audio plate 4x6's) as I didn't want to cut out the rear speaker mount areas to accommodate slightly bigger speakers there. Certain models had the option for a removable plate under the rear speaker panel to accommodate 5x7's...I believe this was for 87+ Turbos, S2's and 968's, as my 87 NA didn't have it, and neither did my 86 Turbo.

I can't find any of my pics of the subwoofer setup, and it's currently covered in engine parts...but I made a panel out of 3/4 inch plywood and cut two 10 inch holes in it, bottom mounting two 10 inch Polk Audio subs in the spare tire well. Unfortunately the 1 channel 500 watt Alpine doesn't have enough juice to push both subs, so I'm only hooked up to one right now (which is plenty honestly).

The sound quality with this setup is absolutely phenomenal...one of the best I've ever heard. I'm proud to say I did it all myself haha!

Ethan
Old 08-16-2015, 04:05 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the Alpine head unit that Ethan shows, above. It looks to be the same as mine, which I love. USB and AUX inputs sound great.

I love the Cayman style rear deck. Not sure if I need the rear seats, but they cradle the beer and wine.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:05 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

nice Work Ethan.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:19 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Teen, I went with a kenwood exelcon 996. It has 3 pairs of preamp outputs (front, rear and sub) and some pretty cool built in tuning features. I then went with a pair of kenwood amps, (75x4 for the main.cabin and 100x2 for the subs)

Previous owner had cut some 6.5 inch holes in the door panels, so I filled them with pair components, and stuck the tweeters in the stock location. Whatever he had in the rear I left alone.

Subs were a pair of 8 inch rockford fosgates mounted in the cavities behind the rear wheels. The grills are black and they sit flush with the trunk floor, so no loss of existing functionality.

Stuck the amps under the front seats (one each).

It is decent, and except for the non factory 6.5s in the doors, looks pretty stealthy. Head unit runs my ipod and has blutooth for the phone. Also has built in support for XM, but I have not enabled that in a car I drive so infrequently. I ha e a previous generation of the same head unit in my daily driver.

Currently upgrading the doors to the 3 speaker set up, so my black vinyl door cards with 6.5 components will soon be on the market.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by odurandina
nice Work Ethan.
Thanks Allan!

I'm thinking I'm going to put a second amp on the rear seat delete, or replace it with a higher power 2-channel amp to drive both subs. I do think I'm going to pick up some tweeters to add near the 6x9's...gotta get my K27-6 in first though!

I absolutely love the CDE-153BT Alpine head unit...the bluetooth connectivity, aux and usb, as well as the wired microphone I ran up the A-Pillar so I can use the hands free function of the head unit easily.

Look forward to seeing some other people's setups!
Ethan
Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced some cheap 4x6 speakers that came with car with Soundstream SST5.7. I chose them because they have silk dome tweeters(everything else I found had cheap polyester tweeters that IMO sound crap if pushed even slightly. They also have a proper 2 wat outboard crossover. Most everything else just filter low freq from tweeters but have full range going to midrange and use sleakers natural roll off, which IMO isn't ideal. Fitting these involved using 6mm MDF spacers(painted to avoid swelling from moisture) and putting crossovers in a zip lock bag to protect from water.

I also had to remove the rubber boot from the magnets to get them to fit

I fitted a Alpine V12 assymetric 4 channel amp that puts out 2 x 125W RMS for fronts, and 2 x 250W RMS/1 x500W RMS(for subs although I don't run subs as such, but I'll get to that). I fitted this in passenger footwell with a false floor above it

I fitted an Alpine double din 7" screen with sat nav, Rev Camera, bluetooth, DVD, CD, Radio and iPod connection. I got the gys at Alpine to hook me up witha Porsche splash screen on start up

I then decided I needed more midbass, so I got the under armrest set up from the 10 speaker system fitted to later models and fitted an MTX 5.25" Black gold driver.

I lost the pocket but was worth it for better Sound quality

The MTX was probably a little too big but I had it round so used it. Finished result

TBC
Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

For sub bass I originally built a groovy little carbon fibre/fibreglass bos for an MTX Thunder 6000 10"

I started by making a cardboard template

Then some MDF

Then lots of filler and sanding and fibreglass

Then add CF

Then I ditched this set up(still have it for track days if needed) and fitted a unique set up with no subs. I use 4 x 6"x9" Digital Designs speakers in a ported box

Quick Reply: 944 sound systems