Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here ever convert an auto to manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I considered it myself on my 924S. I can get it done cheaper than normal as i can get the labor done for 'free' (my dad still pays the mechanic his salary, just im lucky i dont have to pay). Assuming you can find all the parts for the right price, i think the real killer will be the amount of work needed to get that type of job completed. Im working on putting my 924S into storage at my dads place, and getting myself a 5-speed 944...or preferably 951.

Personally i think your better off just looking around for a true manual. Even after all that work, it still wont be the same if you ask me.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:24 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But Legoland951, it's so fun to CHOP up an automatic instead, wouldn't you say?

Should I post the pics?

- Julie
Old 09-19-2003, 06:51 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can post the last ones of the 944 victim if you want..... We should begin to chop the other one next week whenever you want to come by Julie. So does anyone need an auto tranny or an auto instrument cluster with gear position indicator in the speedo?
Old 09-19-2003, 09:38 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lego - I sould be fine on the instrument cluster, correct? - as this is an 924S (early dash).

Also, I haven't seen the metal tab in the tunnel yet, but I'm sure I'll know it when I see it!

Asise from that, this <i>should</i> be smooth sailing until stage II (turbo).
I say "should" because I am using the older 931 Getrag/Porsche snailshell (and torque tube, torsion bar housing) on the 24S also...
Old 09-19-2003, 12:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Duck,
where on LI is your dads shop?
Old 09-19-2003, 12:37 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

South shore, forget the name of the town, maybe Ocean Side? Its tough to get any work done on personal cars there as we have contracts with the MTA to repair police cruisers (i drove one around the block a few times ) and two contracts with Bayside Taxi and Danny's Car service for service on there cars aswell. Needless to say Steve (my dads wrench) and myself are masters of Ford Crown Vics and Mercurys. If you really needed some work done on a car, im sure i can ask my father to try and make a space (Although its really tough like i said).

In the shop next to us has some real killer cars. Does anyone know the signifigance of a red 911 with red wheels? Not sure if that car is some type of collectable. If you wanna see some pics of the original '66 Batmobile and some other pretty neat cars check out my CarDomain page at the bottom.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:50 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Keith - replied to your PM - anyhow sounds like you've done most of the special steps in the conversion. The metal bar the automatic shifter mounts to is inside the shifter well, cuts out easy with a Dremel. The conversion is overall not much work more than a clutch job. Cutting out the bar and finding the clutch master cylinder hole on the firewall are almost the only "modifications" to the body you need to make; you will also need to come up with a way to make the shifter boot mount up, since the automatic cars don't have a flange around the shifter well. Component wise, as someone stated, you must replace everything from the flywheel back. Regards Al

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever convert an auto to manual?