Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 NA antifreeze - is this anything special?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Sesquipedalian
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 NA antifreeze - is this anything special?

Kia Oras peeps

So there I was, cruising along in the country on a chilly winter's day when the heater started blowing cold air. A look at the temperature gauge showed it ascending to new heights with red lights coming on that I didn't know existed.

I was able to pull over and went to a house to get some water to try and get things back to normal. It took about two litres of water added very slowly to get the temp back to normal range, and I cautiously carried on to my destination. There were no further signs of the temperature increasing.

Aside from not knowing what caused it to dump the coolant in the first place, I'm well aware it's just sitting there with plain ol' water in the cooling system and will need to be flushed and refilled with proper antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor. Is there a specific type that 944's use or is it just a case of ensuring that the percentages are correct?

Oh, and if anyone has any ideas about why it might have dumped the coolant they'd be most welcome!

The car hasn't been driven since the incident.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

im guessing your heater valve or heater hoses failed, letting the coolant out, and making hot air pass over the temp sensor making it read high.

as for coolant...anything marked as aluminum-safe should do just fine.
mine is actually mostly just water but it never gets to freezing temperatures where i take the 944.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:55 AM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Odds are your hoses are as old as the car. Any of the hoses under pressure can fail at this age. Also look at the expansion tank. If original and yellowish, they start to fail with stress cracks that are small and leak little drops to start. The cracks only get bigger until the tank fails. Mine cracked on the top and was easy to see coming. But they can occur on the sides and bottom which are harder to find.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I usually get the pre-mixed (50% X 50%) from the autoparts store and make sure the label says ok for aluminum engines. Takes the guesswork out of it. While you're trying to find the leak, I'd just use water, but plan to drain system after repaired and replace with antifreeze before too long. Prevents scaling, rust and corrosion.

Quick Reply: 944 NA antifreeze - is this anything special?