Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi I'm back! Heater issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi I'm back! Heater issues...

It's been years since I posted here. Back in 2008 I bought a BMW 135i and the intention was to sell the 944. Well that never happened! I ended up storing the 944 since then, driving it on the rare occasion. Now I'm planning on bringing her out more often. I just had my timing belt and water pump done and I thought I was good to go! Except now my heater is on ALL the time - I'm being roasted alive! (there's some terrible joke about Germans and ovens in there...)

Anyway, I can't seem to figure out what's going on. I checked the damper (picture below) and the clip is attached, but it seems like it might be seized. I assume when you play with the temperature control **** on the center console it is supposed to move this damper?? Or am I way off here? Anyway this is what it looks like. Should I be checking somewhere else as well?

Clip seems fine...

Thanks!

Mike
Old 07-18-2015, 12:47 AM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I was poking around a bit more - online and in the footwell...

I have read that you can tape or ty-rap the rod back so that it only blows outside air as a temporary fix. Does anyone have any pictures on how to do this?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:14 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

On the firewall behind the heater valve assembly, above the supply/return coolant hoses to the heater core, there are two small 3mm metal vacuum nipples. The upper one is the main vacuum supply to the entire hvac system and the lower one is the vacuum supply to the actual heater valve. Make sure these vacuum lines are connected and in good condition.

If I recall correctly, vacuum at the heater valve closes it and prevents circulation to/from the core. Vacuum also positions all the mixing/directing flaps.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:05 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nipple for the heater valve is actually plastic, and it is notorious for breaking. There is a thread somewhere around here about a metal heater valve from an Audi that is a direct replacement.

Quick Reply: Hi I'm back! Heater issues...