Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in the game: Bought a 944S2

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 05:05 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Back in the game: Bought a 944S2

Well - it's official - I'm back in the P-car game with a 1990 944 S2 Coupe. (Had a 951 a couple of years ago, and most recently was shopping/dreaming of a 964, but settled on this cheaper, but just as beautiful S2)

While I thought this was going to be a total project - turns out the car passed certification and E-testing on Friday with flying colours! The timing belt is being adjusted Monday (engine being too warm on Friday) and I will pick it up and plate it on Monday afternoon.

The car still has lots (!) of little problems and will need a fair bit of TLC. It has 252k kms and was not maintained well for the last two years or so (the plugs we pulled out of it were the sorriest things I've ever seen - with tiny little nubs for electrodes) but is now on the road to recovery. I feel a real obligation to help ANY Porsche I own live a long and healthy life and will do my best to treat this car with the love and devotion it deserves. That is, until it strands me somewhere this winter - when I curse the hallowed ground it rolls upon and kick it over a cliff!

The leak down test and PPI went very well (again - lots of little things) but I'm hoping that there aren't any other serious problems. We'll know about valve guides when I pull the cam cover off to replace the cam chain tensioner runner plastic thingy.

Thanks to all who have helped with questions during my search. Made it much more fun and prolly helped me make a much better decision.

This car was cheap to buy and I expect to put moneu into it - but the S2 seems a rare and special car and I glad to be able to keep one more of them on the road.

For those of you in Ontario, Canada - I just cannot say enough about Auto Select in Newmarket. Franz is great - sharp as a tack, very professional and pragmatic. Really knows the 944's!

Thanks to all and I'll be posting questions shortly as I dig into the litany of problems.

And BTW, DO A PPI! There is NO substitute!

Thanks,

RK
Old 09-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats
Old 09-13-2003, 05:40 PM
MTM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat, I just recently bought a 1990 944 S2 coupe as well. What color is it? Did you take any pictures yet?
Old 09-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

S2's rock much better then though cheap porsches... AKA 951

(note: I am being sarcastic)
Old 09-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

This car is white with black leather - really quite attractive.

No pics yet - only get the car Monday - will post some to this thread.

RK
Old 09-13-2003, 06:18 PM
944Play
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always read that white cars always have lower resale values than other colors, but I just can't grasp why. Black is supposedly sought-after, but who wants to have every fingerprint and grain of pollen to show up? And the darker the paint, the more heat it absorbs. I'll take white!

Congratulations. If you don't mind, what asking/final price? How is the interior after 250kkm?
Old 09-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

I agree with that take on the colour white - it stays cool and looks clean all the time. While my fav is silver - white might be a close second. Our other car (Subaru Legacy GT) is black and it looks like crap 90% of the time. And it's an OVEN in the sun. I'll take white too! Wait a minute - I just did!!!

And of course the "turbo" body work of the S2 really makes a difference to me - I love the rounded nose and the "fanny pan" at the back. Really completes the car to my eye.

Final price: $7700 CDN as is. But it then certified and e-tested clean with nothing more than an oil change, fresh plugs and a couple of bulbs. So perhaps a bit of a deal? It DOES need more work and apparenly burns a lot of oil, but we also found the oil cooler leaking - which would help solve that problem.

The PO has advertised it at $13k, no bites, then $10k, no bites, and then me who called when it was listed at $8900 - which I got down to the final $7700. I had gone in hoping to pay $7500 - but there were NO other S2's around and I needed a car immediatly. Seems a fair price to me .

Interior is surprisingly excellent - no dash cracks, no rips or tears on either seat and only mild wear on the driver's side outside bolster. Everything else appears fine. Oh yeah - digital clock is GONE. Now, I'll only REALLY get to know it as I clean it from top to bottom next weekend. Who knows what I'll find!

RK
Old 09-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

<-------- I like the black, it's beautiful on my car, look in my avatar. i just wash her every week and keep her covered.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:38 PM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

There's always money under the seats and carpets. Never bought a car yet that didn't produce some change.
Luck with your new car - mine's white too and I love it to bits.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:26 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the white S2 club! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Back in the game: Bought a 944S2