Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Is The Control Arm Bushing Mounted To The Frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts
Default How Is The Control Arm Bushing Mounted To The Frame

With a bolt! That I know.

When I had the driver's side up on jackstands and was rotating the tires I noticed that one of the bolts holding the bushing at the rear of the control arm escaped and is nowhere to be found. I reached over and took one from the other side to measure and out of laziness put it in where the missing one belongs.

That's when I learned that the other bolt spins freely. The nut that holds it in is not attached to the frame. I reached up and around the top and didn't feel anything resembling a bolt or nut. I felt like the nut was encapsulated in the frame.

I don't have a lift, and cant get a better view. What is involved in getting the bolt to torque down? Do I need someone with welding tools or was I just feeling in the wrong spot and I can get something to grab?

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Other than post 11 in this link, does anyone have other experience?
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...procedure.html
Old 07-10-2015, 11:57 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

If the second 'nut' is still good on that side, I would try the insert. BUT if you can take a peak and the threads look knarly, I would cut an access hole. I had to cut a hole years ago on a vw rabbit when the owner took tapped in a lower control arm bolt with a hammer. The nut came loose inside the unibody. Steering is important, check all of them!
Old 07-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
If the second 'nut' is still good on that side, I would try the insert. BUT if you can take a peak and the threads look knarly, I would cut an access hole. I had to cut a hole years ago on a vw rabbit when the owner took tapped in a lower control arm bolt with a hammer. The nut came loose inside the unibody. Steering is important, check all of them!
Problem is the nut isn't attached to the frame anymore. the bolt spins with the nut, and the nut is inside of the frame with no access hole. It is a captive nut I've learned.

Are you suggesting I cut the old bolt off, cut a hole in the frame nearby, and then try to say epoxy a bolt to the frame?
Old 07-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like you'll have to cut and weld tom Make sure the DME is unplugged before you get into that.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Arominus
Looks like you'll have to cut and weld tom Make sure the DME is unplugged before you get into that.
Just made an appointment to drop the car off tomorrow with Dave at Apex Auto Body.

I don't have the tools.

Dave says he will have it ready for next weeks DE. That means tonight I have to bleed the brakes, clean up the PS leak I thought I fixed, and change the steering wheel. I'll deal with the airbag light and horn after next week. I have to find a radio shack that is still open to get the part to override the airbag light.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gah, i'm sad about the old girl, i do miss her occasionally. Glad shes getting fixed.

Quick Reply: How Is The Control Arm Bushing Mounted To The Frame