Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rogue Tuning NA Tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015 | 07:47 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Please excuse my ignorance from the backwoods of New Hampshire...what is an LR version..long range? Hope to be purchasing a "Joshified" DME from him ....
Old 07-08-2015 | 08:01 AM
coldfuzion76
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Please excuse my ignorance from the backwoods of New Hampshire...what is an LR version..long range? Hope to be purchasing a "Joshified" DME from him ....
Pretty sure he means Lindsey Racing version. But I've been wrong before. A lot.
Old 07-08-2015 | 02:36 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by coldfuzion76
Pretty sure he means Lindsey Racing version.
Correct.
Old 07-10-2015 | 02:58 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Like the original poster of this thread I'm interested if anybody has any feedback on the Miller MAF?

Joshua indicated he would be back in business soon, but now it looks like Lindsey Racing will take over the NA-Tune.

Not knowing if and when that will happen maybe it would be time to look into the Miller MAF instead.

So with that said, does anyone have any experience with the Miller GEN III MAF conversion kit.

Sorry to bail on you Joshua, but I've patiently waited for your MAF kit to return to market and it doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon.

As you can see, I'm not the only one looking for options.
Old 07-10-2015 | 03:09 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Having LR take over the day-to-days is, and has been what I (and LR) have been working towards...
It is trying to combine the best possible solution: They have the man-power to build, stock, and ship stuff quickly. The reality is that I do not have the time for the day-to-day operations of doing everything myself.

It took us about 6 months to get the LR M-Tune going. And that was with a lot of software improvements and major hardware changes.
There are much less changes for the NA-Tune kit, so I do not expect the timeframe to be as long.
Old 07-10-2015 | 03:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

While we're on the topic of changing stuff
Josh...
Do you have any pointers/tips to adjust the tuning for a different MAF housing?
I figure since the MAF housing I have now doesn't work with the NA airbox, and I can't use the airbox it's intended for, I might as well use a standard "round" housing with the slot sensor in it.
Would be about the same ID as the one I have but both ends are round pipe openings rather than the rectangle air-box hole.
Old 07-10-2015 | 07:36 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Josh...
Do you have any pointers/tips to adjust the tuning for a different MAF housing?
MAF housing change in an ideal world would only change the MAF reading by a simple linear formula: (area of new ID) / (area of old ID)

Real life isn't quite so simple.
In a pipe, airflow isn't uniform across the entire diameter, especially at low airflows. The fastest moving air is in the center of the pipe. So, we want the MAF sensor element to be exactly in the center. The MAF sensor's length doesn't change, so when going from the standard NA-Tune pipe, which does have a very centered MAF sensor element position, to a larger diameter pipe, you are moving the MAF sensor's element away from the center.
This has a similar affect to losing low-flow resolution. How much depends on how big of a pipe, and how 'off-center' the sensing element is. Further, the loss of lower-flow resolution can harm fuel enrichment response, necessitating a change in tip-in fueling.

Additionally, MAF sensors need to have a fairly uniform & straight air entering. Turbulent airflow entering the MAF will make readings difficult, erroneous, and in-consistent. The NA airbox does an excellent job of both providing enough (cool) air, and straightening the air for entry to the MAF.

For changing to a non-provided MAF housing, I would first adjust the MAF compensation table by a static amount calculated from the ideal formula. Then I would make changes to the entire airflow voltage range in the MAF comp table, from steady-state feedback using the logger and a WBO2. Finally, I would address the fuel-enrichment settings - these are mostly done by feel.
Caveat, you might also need to adjust the load filter table, but I would save that for last, or at least not until the MAF comp table is fully adjusted.
Old 07-10-2015 | 08:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
MAF housing change in an ideal world would only change the MAF reading by a simple linear formula: (area of new ID) / (area of old ID)

Real life isn't quite so simple.
In a pipe, airflow isn't uniform across the entire diameter, especially at low airflows. The fastest moving air is in the center of the pipe. So, we want the MAF sensor element to be exactly in the center. The MAF sensor's length doesn't change, so when going from the standard NA-Tune pipe, which does have a very centered MAF sensor element position, to a larger diameter pipe, you are moving the MAF sensor's element away from the center.
This has a similar affect to losing low-flow resolution. How much depends on how big of a pipe, and how 'off-center' the sensing element is. Further, the loss of lower-flow resolution can harm fuel enrichment response, necessitating a change in tip-in fueling.

Additionally, MAF sensors need to have a fairly uniform & straight air entering. Turbulent airflow entering the MAF will make readings difficult, erroneous, and in-consistent. The NA airbox does an excellent job of both providing enough (cool) air, and straightening the air for entry to the MAF.

For changing to a non-provided MAF housing, I would first adjust the MAF compensation table by a static amount calculated from the ideal formula. Then I would make changes to the entire airflow voltage range in the MAF comp table, from steady-state feedback using the logger and a WBO2. Finally, I would address the fuel-enrichment settings - these are mostly done by feel.
Caveat, you might also need to adjust the load filter table, but I would save that for last, or at least not until the MAF comp table is fully adjusted.
Thanks for your comments.
The new potential housing is almost the same diameter as the exit of the "S"-NA tune housing I have currently.
However the question I have still regarding rough diameter calculations is...the figure to use for the "old ID", would that be the diameter of the NA tune pipe where the sensor sits, where the J-boot attaches, or a "hydraulic radius" at the rectangular airbox entry (since the pipe size varies so much)??

My proposed filter-maf-jboot pipe would have a large bellmouth inside the air filter which should help to even out the airflow regions inside the pipe, with smooth transition in size (3" bellmouth exit to 2.75" od/64mm id MAF pipe), either welded on or silicone reducer.
Old 07-10-2015 | 09:10 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
However the question I have still regarding rough diameter calculations is...the figure to use for the "old ID", would that be the diameter of the NA tune pipe where the sensor sits
This.
Old 07-10-2015 | 11:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

muchas gracias maestro
Old 07-14-2015 | 05:16 PM
Iceman1183
7th Gear

Looking forward to the LR version as well, glad to hear the NA guys are still getting some love

*twiddles thumbs in anticipation*
Old 07-16-2015 | 05:21 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Don't hold your breath...
Old 07-19-2015 | 11:32 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Having LR take over the day-to-days is, and has been what I (and LR) have been working towards...
It is trying to combine the best possible solution: They have the man-power to build, stock, and ship stuff quickly. The reality is that I do not have the time for the day-to-day operations of doing everything myself.

It took us about 6 months to get the LR M-Tune going. And that was with a lot of software improvements and major hardware changes.
There are much less changes for the NA-Tune kit, so I do not expect the timeframe to be as long.
Josh,
I sent payment for a NA-Tune Kit and a 85.5 or later DME for upgrade to you in May 2014. Will my payment be credited to LR and the DME sent to LR for uprade?

Waiting patiently.

You can PM a response.
Thanks,
Tom K

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning NA Tune