Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freeze 12

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 167 Posts

Do a Google search, there are a few vendors.....
Old 09-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Freeze 12 is not flammable. You have "heard" wrong.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:06 PM
ldsmith104
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/609/index.html

Freeze 12 is NOT flammable it is an EPA accepted replacement for R-12 as long as a few conditions are met (IE fittings changed, retro fit label, etc which has to be done with all retrofits)

More information is available about Freeze 12 from Technical Chemical 800-527-0885

May hydrocarbon refrigerants be used to replace CFC-12, commonly referred to as "Freon® ," in cars?
No. It is illegal to use hydrocarbon refrigerants like HC-12a® and DURACOOL 12a® as substitutes for CFC-12 in automobile or truck air conditioning under any circumstances.

Effective 5 years after the enactment of the Clean Air Act
Amendments of 1990, paragraph (1) shall also apply to the
venting, release, or disposal of any substitute substance for a
class I or class II substance by any person maintaining,
servicing, repairing, or disposing of an appliance or industrial
process refrigeration which contains and uses as a refrigerant
any such substance, unless the Administrator determines that
venting, releasing, or
disposing of such substance does not pose a threat to the
environment. For purposes of this paragraph, the term "appliance"
includes any device which contains and uses as a refrigerant a
substitute substance and which is used for household or
commercial purposes, including any air conditioner, refrigerator,
chiller, or freezer.

This says any person, any refrigerant...not just R-12

Other than HFC-134a, all EPA-accepted refrigerants that substitute for CFC-12 in motor vehicles, and that are currently on the market, are blends that contain ozone-depleting HCFCs such as R-22, R-142b and R-124. Section 608 of the Clean Air Act prohibits venting any of these new blend substitutes into the atmosphere. The prohibition on venting these ozone-depleting blends has been in effect since 1992.

Although section 609 of the Act does not govern retrofitting, section 612 of the Act, which describes the Agency's Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) program, does require that when retrofitting a CFC-12 vehicle for use with another refrigerant, the technician must first extract the CFC-12, must cover the CFC-12 label with a label that indicates the new refrigerant in the system and other information, and must affix new fittings unique to that refrigerant. In addition, if a technician is retrofitting a vehicle to a refrigerant that contains R-22, the technician must ensure that only barrier hoses are used in the A/C system. Finally, if the system includes a pressure relief device, the technician must install a high-pressure compressor shutoff switch to prevent the compressor from increasing pressure until the refrigerant is vented.

Yes the test is open book and is a joke...and you don't have to be certified to by r-12 if you can afford a 20 or 30 lb cylinder the sale is only restricted on containers smaller than 20 lbs. However the EPA is trying to stop the sale of ALL refrigerants to all non certified people. The law has not made it through the legislators.

Certified or not it is still illegal to vent ANY refrigerant

I have used Freeze 12 and it does cool well, been in the vehicle for over a year and hasn't needed to be recharged since (seals must be okay)

Just remember the standard is retrofit to 134a, no mater what you use don't mix any refrigerants!

With a few modifications/adjustments you can get most (not all) AC systems to cool just as good as r-12 with R134a.

Price wise the R-134a is the cheapest pound for pound 30lb usually around $70

I must say it seems to me to be political issue on if this stuff really hurts the ozone but this is not a forum for politics
Old 09-13-2003, 10:38 PM
instigator
Racer

Certified or not it is still illegal to vent ANY refrigerant
its illegal to speed too but we all know you do it. now dont you

just bustin your chops a little . glad you posted the epa policy been a while since reading those (10-15 years)
Old 09-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take a look at this too,, it's not snake oil; enviro-safe refrigerants. Vacuum down the system to check for leaks, release vacuum, install half a can, start the car, system on high, finish that can a small amount of second can and check the temps.

www.btt.org

I replaced my compressor and dryer last year and used this. System is still full, I used a little less than two cans. Low side about 36, high side about 180, and I've got 40° air coming out of the vents. So far so good.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:40 PM
ldsmith104
Track Day

[QUOTE]Originally posted by instigator
[B]its illegal to speed too but we all know you do it. now don't you

How did you know...you seen me drive too.....lol

Besides whats the point of having a fast car if you can't drive it that way
Old 09-14-2003, 06:51 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Moe
I don't buy none of that "ozone" BS anyway. It's all about patents, and MONEY, nothing more than a scam.
I've take enough chemistry courses to know it's true. Or all they paying off the university profs too? You guys...
Old 09-14-2003, 07:00 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Really? I just had one of my profs tell me 2 weeks ago that he didn't believe any of the ozone hole BS.

Sure a cfc attacks an ozone molecule. What they leave out is that the ozone is renewed automatically in that atmospheric environment and even if totally destroyed, would come back within a day.

Sam
Old 09-14-2003, 07:13 PM
944Play
Pro

Aren't CFC molecules too HEAVY to make it up to the stratosphere?
Old 09-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also heard from the same bunch that R-134A is just as bad, but Dupont has the patent on it for so many years, and when that runs out, it will be phased out also, for another scam. It's all about MONEY. The ozone comes and goes everyday, it's been happening since GOD knows when.

I also heard the same thing about clorine, but you don't see them outlawing swimming pools do you?

What would happen if it was proven that burnt jet fuel destroys the ozone?
Do you think that the airline industry would be shut down? Oh, sure it would. :-)

What do you think 80% of college professors are? You guessed it.

I heard an astronaut say, he thought it was baloney, he's been up there and he's also educated in that sort of thing.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:57 PM
DinoEck
Advanced

I had good results with a Freeze-12 recharge, it cost me $20 to try out, not a big risk... My research seemed to say that 944s are leaky anyway, and conversion is expensive...

Noah
Old 09-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

DinoEck, a friend of mine has a 8x10 in his bathroom just like your avatar, only he's using a wooden barrel and a bottle of Jack turned bottom's up, going down his gullet....I think I'll do one and hang it in the livin room for the mother-in-law...:-)
Old 09-15-2003, 11:03 AM
DinoEck
Advanced

Thanks, Moe, it was July 4th and hotter'n hell here in Boston. I had just run the annual 4th road race and needed a quick cooldown, administered orally and rectally.

It worked. And I smelled (somewhat) better.

Noah
Old 10-18-2003, 06:36 PM
dan's-85.5-944
AutoX

Can someone tell me if this is working well??? i just used Freeze 12 for the first time in my 85.5 944. at the recommendation of the person who sold it to me, i did not need to nor did i have the remaining r12 evacuated from my a/c. there was some left but not enough to run my a/c system.

i first added the small can of freeze 12 stop leak/leak detector... it has some freeze 12 and some ester oil and some red dye. i was then going to add the new ester oil but decided that there probably was still oil in the system and there was 2 oz in the stop leak i added. so then i added the freeze 12.

i am getting cool air, about 48 degrees F. is that as cold as i should expect?

also, i didnt put a whole can of freeze 12 in... just enough to get it about this cold. there are still quite a few bubbles constantly going through the drier site glass.

how do i know when to stop putting freeze 12 in when you are supposed to use about 10% less??? and how cold should it get?

any and all input will be appreciated. thanks in advance, dan
Old 10-18-2003, 11:08 PM
DinoEck
Advanced

Don't worry, be happy. If it's blowing cold enough, leave it be. Are there bubbles in teh sight glass?

Noah

Quick Reply: Freeze 12