Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: speeding ticket in Massachusetts and passing on the right

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry OT: speeding ticket in Massachusetts and passing on the right

I got bagged by an unmarked late model Mustang on the Pike on Sunday. I was driving my wifes 98 mercedes. I was in the left lane behind 3 others cars doing 80. The traffic was flowing at this speed in the left lane. they all of a sudden slowed down, so i moved to the middle and then the right lane, signaling and passed on the right. i was doing 80 to 85. All of a sudden the mustang is in my rear mirror and the blues are flashing. I will need to decide what to do about the speeding ticket. But I thought that passing on the right is OK? I found the online driving rules for massachusetts which states that, "On a multiple lane roadway with several lanes in one direction, you must use the middle and left lanes for passing." This is after it said in general the law requires you to drive in the right lane. However, it then says passing on the right is permitted only in certain circumstances:

On a multiple-lane highway that is divided by a barrier or a median.

The pike has a median.

$200 for speeding.
$100 for passing violation?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:50 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

I drive that road a lot, and i'm pretty certain there are signs posted about passing on the left only, but i could be wrong. Anyway, i was yelled at by a cop on the pike after he cut me off(no signal) and i honked at him for his braindead driving and we both pulled over. I chose to keep myself in the car when i saw the short officer get out and walk backs towards my car...but he began to yell at me that i was DRIVING in the left lane illegally and it is for passing only etc...
Now of course any time i'm passing a cop in my car i make very sure to keep my needled fixed at the speed limit...
Anyway, goodluck, i have only had bad experiecnes with MA state cops and im sure there is someone with more legal knowledge than me.
Erich
Old 09-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's stupid! In this state it's legal to pass in any lane on any multilane road (except where expressly prohibited, like school zones).
So you could do 35MPH in the left lane and cause everybody else to get ticketed.

Quick Reply: OT: speeding ticket in Massachusetts and passing on the right