Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Revs climb when putting into 1st gear... stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:47 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Revs climb when putting into 1st gear... stumped

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this one. I'll be at a stop sign or something in neutral and clutch in and put it into 1st. Sometimes, like maybe one time in ten, the revs climb by ~100 rpm. It isn't a problem at face value but I have no idea this happens and am curious about clutch engagement.

I thought that if the clutch was still slightly engaged the revs would drop (not rise) as though it was under load without pedal compensation. Is there any way the revs would actually climb? 100% sure my foot is nowhere near the throttle and the only mechanical link has to be from the driveline itself.

Unless it's a crazy coincidence but it's happened enough times now that I'm pretty sure there's a link.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:56 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this one. I'll be at a stop sign or something in neutral and clutch in and put it into 1st. Sometimes, like maybe one time in ten, the revs climb by ~100 rpm. It isn't a problem at face value but I have no idea this happens and am curious about clutch engagement.

I thought that if the clutch was still slightly engaged the revs would drop (not rise) as though it was under load without pedal compensation. Is there any way the revs would actually climb? 100% sure my foot is nowhere near the throttle and the only mechanical link has to be from the driveline itself.

Unless it's a crazy coincidence but it's happened enough times now that I'm pretty sure there's a link.
Before my throttle body reseal mine did that.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:44 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Firewall flexing?
Old 06-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Dear Michael: did this do this before you started the M/squirt conversion or afterwards? Alph/Omega may be on to something here, esp since you've been playing around with the intake, coils, etc..check the bolts for a loose one..Do you have your A/F gauge hooked up yet? If so, does that change too? might be leaning out a bit when the load is taken off, or, since the clutch is disconnecting the driveline, the resistance on the driveline, and trans gears will unload the engine, allowing an RPM rise.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

when you clutch in, the engine is no longer having to spin (even in neutral while stopped) a 20lb driveshaft and all the bits freewheeling inside the transmission in heavy oil.
less load for a given air/fuel going in (fixed due to closed throttle and idle maps) = higher revs...
Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
Before my throttle body reseal mine did that.
Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Dear Michael: did this do this before you started the M/squirt conversion or afterwards? Alph/Omega may be on to something here, esp since you've been playing around with the intake, coils, etc..check the bolts for a loose one..Do you have your A/F gauge hooked up yet? If so, does that change too? might be leaning out a bit when the load is taken off, or, since the clutch is disconnecting the driveline, the resistance on the driveline, and trans gears will unload the engine, allowing an RPM rise.
Nothing is hooked up electrically yet, it's still Motronic for now. The thing is that the load isn't being taken off when I put it into gear. The revs increase is relative to my foot being on the clutch (unloaded). So I'm not sure how the load decrease to any less than that, even having it in neutral would be slightly more load.

Throttle body is rebuilt already but I've been wanting to redo it because I think I messed up one of the shaft seals...I can sometimes hear a faint leak from there when the car is cold.

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
Firewall flexing?
Not sure, foot is planted on the clutch across all the different comparisons but I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
when you clutch in, the engine is no longer having to spin (even in neutral while stopped) a 20lb driveshaft and all the bits freewheeling inside the transmission in heavy oil.
less load for a given air/fuel going in (fixed due to closed throttle and idle maps) = higher revs...
The thing is, the clutch is already in BEFORE the rev increase. So I'll be clutched in (fully isolated engine from TT/trans) and then when I physically move the shifter into 1st, the revs bump up a little. So the clutch is depressed and the engine *should* be unloaded for all of it.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

Quick Reply: Revs climb when putting into 1st gear... stumped