Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Lights Won't Go Out...Urhhg ~:(

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 02:25 AM
derek_944x
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lights Won't Go Out...Urhhg ~:(

I just replaced four rotor, all new brake shoes, and four new brake sensors, but the darn brake light still will not go out.

I have tried disconnecting the battery thinking that may reset the computer, but that didn't work. I am not sure what to do.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I have a '87 Porsche 944.

Derek
Old 09-10-2003, 02:30 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad ground on the pad sensors?
Old 09-10-2003, 09:29 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brake wear sensors are part of a continuous circuit. Break the circuit anywhere and the light goes on. So check the plugs to make sure they are connecting and the sensors for continuity. One of the new sensors could be defective and that is all it takes.

I don't think power disruptions will set off the pad wear/ABS system warning light like it certainly will with the airbags.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:37 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

which brake light are you talking about? The brake pad warning light or the other one? Check the fluid level, check the float in the reservoir.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:51 PM
derek_944x
Track Day

I am sorry. My posting may been a little confusing.

I am referring to the Brake Pad Sensor Light in the dash display.

When I replace the brake pads the last time I didn't realize I needed to replace the brake pad sensors. So I let it go until I needed to change the pads again.

I now finally replace all four rotors, all the brake pads, and all four brake sensor. But unfortunately this didn't reset the darn display light for the brakes.

I am under the impression that the Display light for the Brakes are for the Pads. Can the light also indicate fluid level too?

By the way, my '87 944 does not have ABS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I put this together for my wife.

1987 Porsche
Red over original yellow
Rear Windows Black Tint
16" Cup Wheels
8 valve, automatic
Turbo front end
M030 Sport Konis F & R
Magnaflo Catalytic Converter
Magnaflo Chrome Muffler
Magnaflo Chrome Oval Tip
Chipped by Eurowebparts

Next items will be:
MSDS Exhaust Header
MSDS Air Intake System

Last edited by derek_944x; 09-10-2003 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Andrew Spence
Instructor

yeah man it's a single wire that runs a loop through all four sensors.

mine was on when i bought the car, even though all four sensors were intact. been meaning to track down the break, since i've had the dash out a few times, but now i'm going to hold off till i do a break job, and put in new sensors all around.

but i got sick of the light being on, so i soldered a bit of wire across the two wires on the back of the connector that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster (you can see it if you get under there, but soldering to it upside down below the hot iron is another matter--i'd recommend taking the cluster out!)

if you want to do this, let me know, and i'll look up the wires. i believe it was A6 & A7 or something (wires 6 and 7 on the A connector). but i'm totally making that up, so don't go soldering them together without me checking.

cheers!
Andrew

Quick Reply: Brake Lights Won't Go Out...Urhhg ~:(