Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap, Trasmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003 | 06:03 AM
Kuma
Intermediate

Default Engine Swap, Trasmission Questions

I'm considering doing the 968 Swap into an n/a 944 body. I have heard there are some difference in the transmissions. I have also heard that the 5 speed Transmission is stronger, and that the 6 speed tends to have some sort of a flaw that causes then to go out. What are my options as far as trasmissions are concered? Aftermarket clutches? 5 Speed or 6? Are they available, if so any recomendations?

Any other tips that may help me on my way are welcome.
Old 09-09-2003 | 08:24 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Lots of dif in the DME, wiring, and all the fun stuff.

What's the reason behind the swap?
Old 09-09-2003 | 11:09 AM
phantom309
Racer

You should do a search - there's lots of good info in earlier threads. Basically that swap is pretty involved; exhaust is different, intake is different, wiring, bellhousing, oil cooler placement. Using the 968 tranny with the 968 engine is a good thing because it's much, much easier to change the clutch due to the way it's designed.

Thinking about doing this myself but it's much simpler when you start with an S. Lots more reliable HP and TQ.
Old 09-09-2003 | 01:40 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Actually you will have to use the bell housing and torque tube from the 968 to facillitate the two piece drive shaft design to change the clutch.

But! You don't have to as you can use the flywheel from the 944S and S2's as it has the "teeth" design necessary for the single sensor design.

Also need the rest of the harness and vacuum stuff from the 968. Heard the tach is connected different that the 944's -- does not come off of the coil. Have to check the schematics.
Old 09-09-2003 | 03:23 PM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

I'm currently in the process of getting it done by a mechanic (his second 968 conversion) since I need to drop in a new engine anyways -- and I'm too attached to the vehicle to simply give it up. Look specifically for a post by Todd Holyoke (sp? can't remember exactly) -- I found that to be most informative. But I think he was starting from an 944S, which is a little simpler.

The 968 tranny is not necessary. Definitely want the S or S2 flywheel - but don't need the dual-mass of the 968. If you're coming from a NA, in addition to the stuff already mentioned, stock OEM clutch with the rubber center is no good. You'll want the Sachs spring center clutch. You will want to go to a S2/951/968 radiator (requires minor cutting). Eventually, with bigger motor, you want bigger brakes (so you'll need calipers, rotors, spindles and 16" wheels so they fit). You'll probably want to maintain cornering ability, so suspension... Oh, and you'll also need plenty of $$$ and time.

The most cost-effective method, is to simply sell the 944 and buy a 968 (one can be had for under $12K these days). But that just takes the fun out of it all!
Old 09-10-2003 | 08:26 AM
Kuma
Intermediate

Another Question.

What are some good aftermarket performance parts i should save my self the trouble and replace while the engine and tranny will be out for this project? Any aftermarket cluch products perhaps you can recommend? No reason to go stock when i'm only going to replace it anyway.
Old 09-10-2003 | 08:38 AM
Kuma
Intermediate

Originally posted by Kevin Baker
Lots of dif in the DME, wiring, and all the fun stuff.

What's the reason behind the swap?

Tired old engine. Figured the extra .5 liters and 16V Variocam head would be a step up. Also want to Turbo Charge it in the Long run. Lots of power potential. I may have assumed this incorrectly though. I would want to tune any car i owned. Want to bring out the beast in the car, and tear up the road.
Old 09-10-2003 | 08:46 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Just my .02, but for the kind of money your spending, I'd sell the tired, old car, and look to find a good used S2 or 951.

Where in Houston are you, we have a pretty active (right now) group here that would always welcome new friends.
Old 09-11-2003 | 03:04 AM
Kuma
Intermediate

Originally posted by Kevin Baker
Just my .02, but for the kind of money your spending, I'd sell the tired, old car, and look to find a good used S2 or 951.

Where in Houston are you, we have a pretty active (right now) group here that would always welcome new friends.
I have been quoted on the engien DME Variocam Brain and Harness at $3750. And as i see it, everything else that i would get by buying a 951, S2, or even a 968 i would be replacing anyway. Why Waste the money? I don't understand this type of logic. If it's getting relpaced with better afermarket parts, then why buy another car that going to get gutted anyway? I just want the 3.0 968 engine as a major building block in my car's life.

By the way, i'm in Pasadena.
Old 09-11-2003 | 04:04 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I would sit down with the factory manuals and do some serious engineering comparisions between the year car you have and the donor car.

Get a long list of questions together and find answers here and/or by actually looking at the same year donor car.

The flywheel is one as is the possible difference in instruments such as the tach.

There is a significant difference in the vacuum logic and you just might need more of the engine compartment goodies than the engine, DME and harness you will be buying.

All in all sounds like a fun project. All you Texans seem to be having more fun than I am! Guess I'll have to move.
Old 09-11-2003 | 08:33 AM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

The swap is pretty straightforward, search the board under my username and you will find the details pretty well covered. If you have any other questions you can PM or email me.

As a side note my friend who I did the conversion for is now selling the car.

Todd
Old 09-11-2003 | 10:08 AM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Todd, does your friend mention the reason why he's selling the car? If it has anything to do with the conversion, I'd love to know.
Old 09-11-2003 | 10:24 AM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Car runs perfectly, he has 3 porsches and is getting rid of one of them, he lives in the city and has to store 1 of them at his mom's place on the cape, his mom is selling her house so he will loose storage, he has placed 2 of his cars for sale the one that sells first will go

Todd
Old 09-11-2003 | 10:53 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kuma,

Rennlister Roberto had his car done by Chris Cervelli. It is a very clean install. Send Roberto an e-mail as he knows all details of the conversion.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap, Trasmission Questions