Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diagnosing and fixing AC on a 951; how hard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003 | 06:31 PM
Andrew Spence
Instructor

Lightbulb diagnosing and fixing AC on a 951; how hard?

hi all!

thinking if i can fix the AC on my car i can make a much stronger argument to the girlfriend for keeping it after our move to Berkeley (it will be our only car). gotta teach her to drive stick, though--which will take some patience (just put new clutch and tranny in).

the previous owner says it went out at about 70k, he had it recharged, and it worked for a bit and then died again. i hear sloshing noises during certain temperatures ranges (they've stopped for the summer), which i thought was water in the battery well, but turned out to be dry back there, so i now i thought it might be the left over Freon freezing/evaporating and sloshing around when in the right temperature for liquid phase...

any hints on diagnosing/fixing the AC? the shop manuals have a huge section, i can start there. i don't want to spend $2k to have a shop fix it. the hardest work i've done on the car is oil cooler seals, and rear drive axle, so i'm feeling fairly confident.

thanks for any help!
-Andrew
Old 09-10-2003 | 07:45 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should be a lot less than $2k. Especially if it's converted. I asked my mechanic in New York, and he said (assuming it is a hose, which is most likely) It would be around $350 - $400, and that's including including converting it.
Old 09-10-2003 | 07:54 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

$350-$400 will get you a nice vacuum pump and gauges. Then you can do the work yourself now & in the future. Go to www.imaca.org for the R12 certification. Get a book on a/c repair and read it. If you've sucessfully done oil cooler seals...a/c will be easy. Don't apply high pressure to the can of freon!!
Old 09-10-2003 | 08:46 PM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Obviously the cost will depend on what problem you're having. I did the following -- took the car in for AC diagnostics $40. The guy said I have a small leak in the suction hose and needs recharging. Didn't fix the leak and just recharged it (we'll see how long it last, 4 months so far). Total cost was about $100.

But wait, why do you need AC in Berkeley? Noone ever uses AC in Berkeley -- it never gets hot. I would save your money for the new clutch you're going to need when your girlfriend drives around those hills in stop-and-go traffic....
Old 09-10-2003 | 09:32 PM
Andrew Spence
Instructor

nice guys thanks.

any recommendations on auto AC repair books? i'll see what i can find online and at Borders. wow that certification looks funny. like driver's license test all over again. kewl!

i know on the new clutch--she's very coordinated, and we went out for a couple lessions and she was getting it down very quickly. but then i pressured her to go for a 2-3 shift and she pulled it out of 2nd without putting the clutch in. hehe, mostly my fault, and she's learning, but i thought i would see if another car (with less expensive clutch and tranny) might come around for the learning phase!

-A
Old 09-10-2003 | 09:33 PM
Andrew Spence
Instructor

oh and where would i get a vacuum pump, gauges, and correct fittings?

cheers!
-A
Old 09-10-2003 | 10:21 PM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

I repeat: you really do not need AC in Berkeley -- believe me, I've lived there for twenty years.

Anyways, I think the best place to start is look though the old posts right here -- there's alot of information about hotwiring the AC clutch, checking pressure, etc, etc... As for parts, any of the online stores will do (try pelican parts for example)
Old 09-11-2003 | 10:25 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

www.ackits.com & www.acsource.com are 2 I've seen that sell everything you need and have a forum. Ebay will have the best deals.
Old 09-11-2003 | 10:51 AM
Matt H
Race Director

If you are hearing sloshing it may be in the evaporator housing. There is a drain tube that is likely clogged. As for it not working, that all depends on where it is leaking. You can get a refrigerant leak detector for about 80 bucks new or a lot less at a pawn shop. Dont trust run of the mill AC places, they dont take the time to check them carefully and will likely just keep shooting it full of freon at 80-100 bucks a time.
Old 09-11-2003 | 11:02 AM
Andrew Spence
Instructor

man you guys are great--thanks a million!

now, anyone know where i can rent a stick car for the week to teach my girlfriend on?

-A
Old 09-11-2003 | 11:04 AM
Matt H
Race Director

If the clutch is goind teach her in yours. I taught my wifes sister (my sister) and a host of others how to drive on mine before I replaced the clutch. Old dying ones are much more forgiving that new ones.
Old 09-11-2003 | 11:10 AM
Andrew Spence
Instructor

unfortunately i just did the clutch--hence the hesitation...

Quick Reply: diagnosing and fixing AC on a 951; how hard?