Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 944 Turbo ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:44 AM
exe30
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Bought a 944 Turbo ...

I saw my first 944 in a public library in a book. That was probably around the time the 968 first came out.

Then all throughout university I would pass time in boring lectures by looking at 944s on eBay.

Then every summer I would flip through car classifieds and maybe look at a few cars. I bought a cool 944 poster. And framed it.

This summer I thought I would put an end to the madness and just buy one of the damn things. I put in an offer on a nice Kalahari S2 and the seller jilted me and sold it to someone else. Then I looked at repainted 8v but whose "complete history" amounted to oil changes and headlight bulbs. Last documented timing belt was in 2002. I feared it wouldn't make the drive home.

I thought I would never buy a turbo (maintenance, parts, complexity etc) but after so many disappointments ... in a fit of different madness I bought a white '86 turbo. Seller advertising clean and unmolested, but it had a Sparco wheel, a harness bar, and fire extinguisher ... probably saw some track time at some point. Pretty sure the hatch glass and rear tailights were redone with RTV sealant. A bumper guard stud had broken. The cabin was filthy. Still the engine bay looked good and it sounded good on the test drive. Paint maybe 6.5 out of 10. Definitely more of a 10, maybe 20 foot car. It did have a raft of documented new parts in the last few years (clutch, vac lines, injectors, motor mounts, engine seals) so I figured what the hey. Pulls strong and does not leak a whit. And has early offset phone dials for which I have, perhaps oddly, a great affinity.

Price: about 9k USD.

Still the timing belt was five years old and I had to drive it 500 kms from the POs town. Thankfully it did not explode and I made it to the mechanic for a new timing belt and fresh fluids. Though I could still not resist giving it some shove on the way back ... power delivery is entertaining, you can really feel when the boost kicks in. Factory manifold pressure gauge seems to show the turbo is generating the right amount of boost.

Then off to Paragon, Larts, and Only944 for another couple hundred bucks in odd parts ... fuel lines, side mirror, 968 tray, etc, as they say a 944 costs $10k one way or the other. (My first 80s German car died in a engine bay fire) I have not tallied the receipts yet ... maybe I shouldn't.

I had it in my head that I would sell it after a year or two ... but on a drive last night with the headlights popped up through the dusk I thought: "What if I never sell it?"

Here's a pic from mechanic shop, taken while I was paying.

Last edited by exe30; 05-22-2015 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Subject line
Old 05-22-2015, 11:23 AM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations!

I'm a new, first time 944 owner, as well. Similar trajectory. Got my DL in 1984 and have wanted a 944 from that time.

I hope that yours is good to you, with no surprises. I'm over a thousand in improvements just since buying mine. Many small surprises, many opportunities for tweaking things up.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:14 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Congrats!

Keep all your receipts. Don't ever, EVER, add them up.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:24 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Very nice man! Can't wait to see more pics of the car!!
Old 05-22-2015, 02:16 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice! I love phone dials too. They add the Porsche quirkiness that's otherwise missing from the 944.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:13 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought the twin about 6 months ago. Since then, I've torn virtually everything apart. The AOS seals were leaking like crazy and causing oil in the intake. In order to get to the seals, you have to pull the turbo. To pull the turbo, you have to pull the steering rack, etc, etc. Bottom line is I've rebuilt the Brembo brake system, ignition system, fuel injectors, turbo, steering rack, reupholstered the front seats, rebuilt the gauge cluster odo gear and lights, installed a Momo Race steering wheel, short shifter from only944.com, replaced the coiled transaxle cooler, rear hatch, various sensors and vacuum lines and replaced the tires on the 911 wheels. Some paint work to do in various spots. A $5,500 car will easily cost me $10k when it's done, but it'll be a hoot to drive the car when it's done my way and reliable. Good luck with yours.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Bought a 944 Turbo ...