Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer build thread: Megasquirt and more...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 11:24 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

The 944S also used an external igniter module for the coil, you could adopt that instead of adding a transistor into the MS.

My crank mounted 36-1 wheel has been flawless for almost 8 years now, the trick is a solid mount for the sensor. However on my 951 I snagged a TTV 60-2 flywheel which is the same idea as the 16v flywheel, but is sized for a 951 clutch assembly.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:40 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
The 944S also used an external igniter module for the coil, you could adopt that instead of adding a transistor into the MS.

My crank mounted 36-1 wheel has been flawless for almost 8 years now, the trick is a solid mount for the sensor. However on my 951 I snagged a TTV 60-2 flywheel which is the same idea as the 16v flywheel, but is sized for a 951 clutch assembly.
@odonnell so you ARE still around! Lol I've been gone for a few years as I haven't been working or even driving the 951 much. I was thinking of you recently when I sold my 87 to a buddy, and was explaining all the parts you sent me years ago to convert my automatic rubber thingie to a clutch instead. How's the MS going?
Old 01-29-2023, 01:06 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
@odonnell so you ARE still around! Lol I've been gone for a few years as I haven't been working or even driving the 951 much. I was thinking of you recently when I sold my 87 to a buddy, and was explaining all the parts you sent me years ago to convert my automatic rubber thingie to a clutch instead. How's the MS going?
What's up man!

Yeah still around... not on the forums as often, life has been busy. But I'm still driving 944s. The '83 with the original Microsquirt installation is my fairweather daily driver and hasn't missed a beat, just normal maintenance and some minor expected "old car" stuff. How've you been?
Old 01-29-2023, 02:02 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

What's up man!

Yeah still around... not on the forums as often, life has been busy. But I'm still driving 944s. The '83 with the original Microsquirt installation is my fairweather daily driver and hasn't missed a beat, just normal maintenance and some minor expected "old car" stuff. How've you been?
Well, I had been thinking of selling the 86 951 as I never drive her anymore, she was on the verge of needing a lot of $$$ love (tires, belts, etc). I'd been thinking of using the proceeds to help buy an 89 951, or even an S2 or Cab. I'd even kicked around a Cayman. In theory, I'd like a 968 or even a 928 S4, but I just can't love those front ends, it's the headlights. I hate those headlights. (insert puking emoji we don't have here). But when I went to clean her up to take pics, I found the clutch master or slave had gone out while she sat. And as happens, I fell in love again under the garage drop lights. So instead of selling, I've opted to drop about 7K in her LMAO. So, things didn't go as planned.

She'd stood neglected mainly because I started working from home during covid, and with all my cars she was tucked back in the shop with three other vehicles behind her. Couple never leaving, high gas prices (my daily is electric), and 30 mins of car Tetris every time I wanted to take her out, she just sat and sat. Chipmunks moved it. I thought she needed a home she'd be driven more often. But I've pretty much decided the Garage will be her new home, and my daily will live in the shop. I have charing setup both places. I just need to bite the bullet and drop the $$$ to convert my one-door shop into a two-door. It can fit 4 cars, but with one door no matter what I do, I have to play the Tetris game to get anything out but the last one I put in.

Sooo... that's how I am LMAO.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:37 PM
catskill_t
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dwizle
I works but you will need a late late 55 pin harness and the flywheel with the teeth, not the two pins sticking up. look under the car at fw if the edge closest to the front has a serrated edge and you only have one sensor on the bell housing u have the right fw.
you can get the trans from diyauto tune I will post a pic of how i installed it
Dwizle if you have time to post a pic of the trans install that would help me, but for now I found the two diagram below. the 1st one is from the spec sheet of the Ignition IGBT you listed as the one you used and the 2nd is a generic diagram for doing what I think you did to get the stock 944 coil to work with the MS. I guess the "collector" would be the place to connect the wire output from the MS coil trigger wire and the "emitter" would be wired to coil? The "gate" would be grounded? Or is the "gate" the place the MS coil trigger signal connect to and the "emitter" is what is grounded?

Thanks for any help. Tom

Old 02-04-2023, 08:07 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by catskill_t
Dwizle if you have time to post a pic of the trans install that would help me, but for now I found the two diagram below. the 1st one is from the spec sheet of the Ignition IGBT you listed as the one you used and the 2nd is a generic diagram for doing what I think you did to get the stock 944 coil to work with the MS. I guess the "collector" would be the place to connect the wire output from the MS coil trigger wire and the "emitter" would be wired to coil? The "gate" would be grounded? Or is the "gate" the place the MS coil trigger signal connect to and the "emitter" is what is grounded?

Thanks for any help. Tom

Just remember with the black part facing you counting left to right ! is ground 2 goes to the neg of the coil 3 is the 5v trigger from the MS also you should put a 330 ohm resistor between the 5v trigger n the transistor also add as larger of a heat sink to it too
Old 02-12-2023, 11:06 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Why not just use an external igniter (i.e. copy 944S) instead of modding the MS? Less risk and less heat in the case. If you have a 16v harness, which you would anyway for this MS PNP, then the wiring already exists.
Old 02-19-2023, 10:05 AM
catskill_t
Intermediate

Why not just use an external igniter (i.e. copy 944S) instead of modding the MS? Less risk and less heat in the case. If you have a 16v harness, which you would anyway for this MS PNP, then the wiring already exists.
not sure who you are replying to, but I dont have a 16v harness. Would any Bosch igniter work? My BMW motorcycle uses one (has early Motronic system) and I see them cheap used from dead part out bikes.

Also did you start your 1st MS project as a fuel only? I saw your videos and I cant remember. another also... what do you think about this version of MicroSquirt:AMP'd MicroSquirt (https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ampd-microsquirt/). See the attached screenshot of features. I wonder if the "VR conditioned inputs" could read the stock n/a 944 crank sensor? I also thought I read somewhere that it can do fuel only setups by reading the wire on the neg connector of the coil. seems like an easier way to start and in my case my engine is going to need better fuel tuning then the current DME i have will offer.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:35 AM
catskill_t
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dwizle
Just remember with the black part facing you counting left to right ! is ground 2 goes to the neg of the coil 3 is the 5v trigger from the MS also you should put a 330 ohm resistor between the 5v trigger n the transistor also add as larger of a heat sink to it too
Finally got some parts.

So for my knowledge and future 944 MS installers does the pic sum up what you said?

Old 01-10-2024, 09:06 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeycrum14
@odonnell

I am building a 924S (early wiring/dash) with a 1998 Passat AEB.

Got it running with a plug-n-play microsquirt I had built for the engine BUT no idea how to drive the early tach. Some have suggested to pull the tach signal from the microsquirt (5v) amplify to 12v then feed to tach and then give it power and ground.

Honestly no idea how to do this one. any help would be appreciated.

After leaving college I no longer have access to an oscilloscope to understand whether the tach signal is high triggered low or low triggered high on the stock tach power. Have been searching a bunch of old threads with no luck.
I documented the solution here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ter-gurus.html

Quick Reply: Summer build thread: Megasquirt and more...