Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Fix Small Dash Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Tom Lawson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Fix Small Dash Cracks

My 87 951 with 60,000 miles daily driver is developing small cracks in the vents of the dask, is there anything I can seal these cracks with and prevent further cracking

Best Wishes
Old 09-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same situation, I've just been treating mine with vynalex in the mean time to help protect the dash.

My understanding is it's best to drill small holes at the end of the cracks to help keep the cracks from spreading (use like a 1/16" or even 1/32" bit).
Old 09-08-2003, 10:21 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dreaded dash cracks. The plastic is drying out and I haven't heard of anyone that has come up with an easy fix. You are relagated to getting a dash cover or having the dash recovered with something like leather. Forget a new dash as they cost a small fortune.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:13 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm currently working on my dash (as in, I Just came in from outside ~ have to let things dry for an hour). It may be possible to semi-rejuvinate our dash. New ones (from the dealer) are a small fortune, but there are enough new, or nearly new ones floating arround that sometimes you can get lucky (I've only seen black and black/tan, mostly in the 87+ w/ airbag versions).

EVERY dash cap/cover I've seen makes the car look cheap. Might as well install an RX-7 plate if you're going that route. Having it professionaly refurbished is probably the best bet for most folks who have a nice car and want to keep it that way. I think the costs were somewhere arround $600 when I was looking before. I've got about $150 into my "test" and it may, or may not, work out well for those looking for a perfect dash. I know that there's no way it could have made mine look any worse which is why I'm trying it.

I'll post before and after pics (probably in a new thread) when it's all said and done.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:40 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Funny that people will put 1500 into a clutch and nothing into the dash. most dash's seem to get about 10 years. Clutch could go tomorrow.. or say a set of tires... Just think it is funny. Not saying I am any different.. I would hope at some point we can get past repairs enough to do cosmetic interior wise.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My dash just started cracking about 6 months ago, damn!
I don't really want to put a cover on an airbag dash for obvious reasons, unless I disable the evil explosive bags!

Keep us posted Brian!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:05 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you come up with something that works let us know! My dash had started cracking when I bought the car ... I have primarily just been treating it and keeping it covered with one of those (ugly) fuzzy dash cover things (PO had it) or using a window screen when the car is parked.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:35 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Plastic, shrinks when heated. when repeatedly heated it gets brittle. Thus vent cracks. can not be stopped. THere is no wetting of the plastic. you can apply chemicals that keep it more elastic.. but once the shrinking starts it is to late. That is why fillers are only temporary. the enventually to will seperate. Perhaps if you drive with out your heater in a cool climate it will last longer.. but those in a sunshine state are doomed to the cracks... LEather on the other hand needs to be fed. IT is organic. can be dealt with..
Old 09-08-2003, 12:44 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

is there anything that can be "fed" to a healthy dash to preserve it? my dash has no cracks yet and i'd kinda like to keep it that way
Old 09-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vinylex is regarded as the best thing to use ~ other than you want to keep it garaged/covered as much as possible, and a window shade for anytime you have to park it out doors. You won't stop the cracks from coming, you'll just slow down the process ~ but that's the best anyone can do anyway.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Canadian cars seem to have fewer cracked dashes, so I wonder how much the heater causes it. Mine's in perfect shape, and it looks original. I think the main problem is being parked in the sun, both from a heat and UV perspective. Plus, many canuck cars are parked for 4 or 5 months a year, and are often garaged.

I doubt any of the protectants do much, I just use a window screen.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally was able to locate a dash on ebay for $120 - has cracks in it but looks a lot better thant the foam/bondo I had been dealing with since purchase. Dash is actually from a full leather car so the bottom is all leather. Changed it out this weekend in about 4 hours. My old one is on ebay for $15 if anyone needs a core to be redone If there was an epoxy solution for cracks I would be interested.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Josh, I can bing it over and show you anytime... I'll even let you use the filler material (and help) if you want to try it yourself. You'd have to get the dye though as the filler is white and stands out quite a bit.

It's looking more and more like what I'm doing will be a Great cosmetic coverup for badly cracked dashes but not what you'd want to do for a concourse/perfect dash.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:50 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally posted by billybones
Funny that people will put 1500 into a clutch and nothing into the dash. most dash's seem to get about 10 years. Clutch could go tomorrow.. or say a set of tires... Just think it is funny. Not saying I am any different.. I would hope at some point we can get past repairs enough to do cosmetic interior wise.
You can't drive the car without a clutch while it's hard to justify spending $1k on a new dash.

Quick Reply: Help Fix Small Dash Cracks