Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 to 944 Turbo Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:07 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Default 944 to 944 Turbo Swap Question

Hey guys I have a quick question. I might be buying an NA car and build a turbo 2.85l motor to go in it. My question is to get the engine running I know the 951 clutch, flywheel, pressure plate are different from NA and the computers, fuel injectors and harness are different. Is there anything else needed to get the motor running? I will be getting the M-tune for this build as well. I'm not refering to the 944 vs turbo differences (suspension, brakes, body parts etc...) just getting the engine running.

I just know if I get a running negelted NA (1-2k) with the money I save I can have the motor built verses paying the low end for a 951 (5k) and still have to do the same work.

Thanks for your assistance guys.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:09 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Running, in a car?

AFM/MAF, TB, IM, EM, crossover, waste gate, down pipe, and, I suppose, a rudimentary exhaust.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:17 PM
zcacogp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste your time.

Never build a car you can buy. If you want a 944 turbo, buy a 944 turbo. There is much more difference between a stock NA and a turbo than an engine and a clutch. Save up and buy a 951 - you'll regret it otherwise.

Oli.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

^^^exactly.

changing a Porsche 4 engine for another Porsche 4 cylinder engine has been demonstrated over and over to be very nearly, an exercise in futility....

but this: the automotive equivalent of jumping into a napalm attack, when you're already fighting a protracted war would be nothing short of insane.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:08 PM
TurboAngel
Advanced

I suppose it depends on whether the 944n/a is a later model or not, or perhaps a 16v....

If you get a 85.5- then its all plug in an' play. Very simple and a very worthwhile IMHO.

Hybrids can be cool, such as your proposition. Some hybrids can be obscene such as Odurandina's Avatar - an emaciated poor wretch of a woman with fake ****. Not cool, pitifull in fact.

A napalm attack IS insane under any circumstances, or don't you remember the burning children you sick f£$ker...
Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zcacogp
Don't waste your time.

Never build a car you can buy.
No offense, but hell no. Ask anyone who's built an awesome car with his own hands if they would rather have bought it. You might get a couple people, but it wouldn't be all of them. It's an experience, and for a lot of us, a hobby to work on our cars. The "built or bought" thing is different for everyone.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:43 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

take off Michael!! turn key is SOOO underrated.

free time is for chasing killer waves and endless hotties and strippers (when the surf goes flat).

the bastard who most truly gets it – is Chop Shop Guy.

Originally Posted by TurboAngel
don't you remember the burning children.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:18 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
take off Michael!! turn key is SOOO underrated.

free time is for chasing killer waves and endless hotties and strippers (when the surf goes flat).

the bastard who most truly gets it – is Chop Shop Guy.

Don't lie... there are plenty of hair-yanking issues with having someone else building your car, right?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:52 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

couldn't be happier.

and gonna have the big tit done car running very soon.

anyway, the files are sealed for 75 years.

and what happened to the op.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by zcacogp
Don't waste your time.

Never build a car you can buy. If you want a 944 turbo, buy a 944 turbo. There is much more difference between a stock NA and a turbo than an engine and a clutch. Save up and buy a 951 - you'll regret it otherwise.

Oli.
Lets not forget the plans here, I'm not building a stock 951... if that were the case I would buy a 951. I am building a 2.85l Non-Interference Turbo 944. If you saw my sig I had a 951 and I have seen the main differences. I was asking about wiring and computer differences. I know the engine harness is different and the computers I just need to know if the cabin harness is different and what other wiring mainly. I know all the suspension, injectors, exhaust, clutch, cosmetics, struts, hubs, brakes differences. I will add up the rough estimate cost of the build and see if its better to start with an NA or Turbo car to complete it the way I want but like I said I'm building a 951 so I'm not going to use all the factory turbo parts. I also hate to go crazy on modding a factory 951 as they are getting harder to find in decent shape at reasonable pricing. A part of me wishes I didn't sell mine but it was the right thing to do at the time no doubts.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 PM
Noahs
1st Gear

Default porsche 944 NA turbo swap

Originally Posted by TurboAngel
I suppose it depends on whether the 944n/a is a later model or not, or perhaps a 16v....

If you get a 85.5- then its all plug in an' play. Very simple and a very worthwhile IMHO.

Hybrids can be cool, such as your proposition. Some hybrids can be obscene such as Odurandina's Avatar - an emaciated poor wretch of a woman with fake ****. Not cool, pitifull in fact.

A napalm attack IS insane under any circumstances, or don't you remember the burning children you sick f£$ker...

hello I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions on if and how the na turbo swap is to do?
Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Lets not forget the plans here, I'm not building a stock 951... if that were the case I would buy a 951. I am building a 2.85l Non-Interference Turbo 944. If you saw my sig I had a 951 and I have seen the main differences. I was asking about wiring and computer differences. I know the engine harness is different and the computers I just need to know if the cabin harness is different and what other wiring mainly. I know all the suspension, injectors, exhaust, clutch, cosmetics, struts, hubs, brakes differences. I will add up the rough estimate cost of the build and see if its better to start with an NA or Turbo car to complete it the way I want but like I said I'm building a 951 so I'm not going to use all the factory turbo parts. I also hate to go crazy on modding a factory 951 as they are getting harder to find in decent shape at reasonable pricing. A part of me wishes I didn't sell mine but it was the right thing to do at the time no doubts.

Just go stand alone MS, VEMS, EMU, Autronic etc ( this will make it a lot easyer regarding electronics )

Just remember to get the 951 water tank and pump + relay to the turbo if you are running a watercooled one.

The turbo sits on the left Engine mount, and drains oil to the pan.

Otherwise you can buil the headers etc, or buy.

Im building a sleeved 2.5 for my 951 ( stupid expensive )

The hybrid 2.85 seems a nice choice.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:35 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

ealoken, I have a Darton Wet Sleeved Engine in one of my cars now with a Tec3R Standalone.. The Next Engine I build will be nickasil coated, I dont think for the expense Sleeving is the way to go, The Juice is not worth the Squeeze.... my 02
Old 07-28-2017, 03:30 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
ealoken, I have a Darton Wet Sleeved Engine in one of my cars now with a Tec3R Standalone.. The Next Engine I build will be nickasil coated, I dont think for the expense Sleeving is the way to go, The Juice is not worth the Squeeze.... my 02
I Got a Nice price on the sleeves. Same AS nicksil.

Hope it Will hold 30 000 km.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:12 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

You should be fine as long as you Double Check things when you build it, a "Known" 944 builder originally built mine and the ring gap was wrong, Decked the block to the point I have to run .060 head gasket, ect,, Ect... BUT without him screwing it up I would have never got it because I couldn't beat the price.. Of course I had to Bore/hone and buy new pistons and rings to make it right.. Runs awesome now.. The only thing Im bummed about is that I am at 4.100 now so I cant go much more if I ever have to "Freshen" it.. I wish when the sleeved were installed they would have kept them smaller so I can get a few more cleanups...

Quick Reply: 944 to 944 Turbo Swap Question