Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might Be Losing my license for a few years...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 01:39 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Everyone, espically Tom. Thanks for all the advice, I just wanna tell ya the Rennlist membership dues are waiting to be picked up in my mailbox and I really appreicate all your advice..I'm gonna hit the sack for now and respond to everythin else tommorow.

Tom, I live in Dutchess County (And very happy I still dont live in Westchester County!)

Thanks All!
Mike
Old 09-07-2003, 02:29 AM
txhedg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark -

Listen to Tom R...he is giving excellent advice. If you don't follow his advice to the letter, you probably deserve (karma-wise, not legal-wise)whatever ends up happening to you in the fall-out. You are getting free advice from a judge that you would pay $100's or $1000's for were you to hire a lawyer right now.

I had a similar situation regarding license and insurance and expired tags (well, not quite as interesting as your situation), and showing that I actually had both lic and insur (just not on me) at the time I was stopped, and that I already had already (5 days later) gotten updated tags made the problem go away in less than 5 minutes and for the total of about $10 for the late registration fee.

And tell your buddy (and I use the term loosely after the way he acted) to pony up the cash for the tow TODAY. Tell him (whether true or not) that since the car is not yours, you have no obligation to pay the towing tab, and the towing company will just keep his car (or repo it if he happens to somehow have the car back without the bill being paid) and sell it to pay the bill. Once he has the car back and you've paid the bill, from the sounds of this guy, you will NEVER see that $165 (or whatever it was) again.

good luck
Old 09-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Tom's reply is right on.

Getting a lawyer is overrated and too expensive in a situation such as this. The people behind the bench are good people (like Tom) and want to see, for the most part, justice. Justice in your case is obvious. You were doing a public service by driving your *friend*'s drunk *** home. Anyone with at least half a brain can see that.

Go to court, look who you are speaking to in the eye with your head high, tell them EXACTLY what Tom has recommended, and you will come out clean. And for gosh sakes, wear a shirt and tie.

Ask me how I know.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 09-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Wow Dutches county and Westchester county, I am originally from Highland, brings back memories. My grandfather was JP in Dutches county way back.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:57 PM
C-C_Rider
Instructor

I have been a police officer for over 13 years and I must stress that the advice that Tom gave you is VERY GOOD advice.

I do think it would be in your best interest to speak with the district attorney before your court date, make an appointment with his office as soon as you can. It is true that you don't necessarily need an attorney for your initial appearance in court BUT it certainly wouldn't hurt for you to speak with one on a consultation level, he may be able to enlighten you as far as what your state's Vehicle and Traffic laws are and as far as what you could expect out of this whole unfortunate incident.

When you appear in front of the district attorney be polite, courteous and respectful and do the same in front of the judge. Even if things don't appear to be leading in your favor trust me losing your temper or even getting slightly angry will NOT benefit you. Take a deep breath before you speak and stick to the truth, it's always the easiest to remember...

Please don't dismiss the fact that the officer did have a job to do that night and in NYS with no valid plates and insurance it is mandatory for him/her to tow the vehicle.

As a cop and a parent I commend you for taking responsibility that night and doing what you felt was the right thing to do, you probably saved both your lives and lives of others by not allowing your friend to drive in his intoxicated condition and I can only hope the judge will take that into consideration and weigh it's merit.

I can't predict what will happen in court, none of us can, and depending on the judge you may very well still be penalized for operating a vehicle with no plates and insurance since in NYS that responsibility falls upon the operator of the vehicle.

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a message and I will try to help you if I can. Good luck with everything, I wish you the best.

Lisa
Old 09-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do what Tom R said; also, Geo has an excellent point! Most lawyers will do the initial consultation for free, doesn't hurt to ask.

I am sorry your "friend" is not a friend; if he'd been driving, he'd be the one in a heap of trouble, you would have gone home, not him.

I think there's a way out of this, just be calm, and read and ask more questions, then you will know what to tell a lawyer, and go from there.

Best of luck, and don't give up!

- Julie
Old 09-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

my S2 is the third car of mine that was stolen, the second from the same train station
Tom R,

Thank you for the sound (and free) advise. We all benefit from good clear thought.

With that, let me impart some sound advise......

If you plan to continue parking at that train station with a Porsche, invest in a Lojack. Lojack puts a sending unit in your car. If and when it gets stolen, Lojack can have the unit in the car send its location to the police. Your car can be recovered and the thieves apprehended.

Check out www.lojack.com

Remember, those that don't learn from history....are doomed to repeat it.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this whole thing is sad, because for once someone was trying to stop a drunk driver! I really, really hope the judge will get a clear picture, and let Mike off...and then slap it all back onto the car's owner, if he's allowed to.

- Julie
Old 09-08-2003, 11:03 PM
qoncept944
Pro

I'm sure an attorney will tell you to stress that you were driving for your drunk friend. That will equal huge points because you were responsible enough to be doing the right thing.

Quick Reply: Might Be Losing my license for a few years...