Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Barn Find

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default S2 Barn Find

Just wanted to say hi, long time Rennlister, mostly on the 997 side. 944 S2 literal barn find, dirt floor and all. My almost 17 yo son and I split the cost, father and son project. It's a 2 owner 1989 with 75k original miles. My indie mechanic hooked me up with the owner, really great older gent who was unable to drive by himself and his wife couldn't get in the car anymore. Anyway it's not been driven in like 7 years but he was starting it every 6 months to a year. Consensus from my mechanic was not to start it, just haul it over and do the timing belt, water pump, tension pads, etc. He had done all this previously in like 2002, with not many miles since, but more concerned about the time/age of the belt. Probably could have plodded my way through the work but I know better and I wanted to give him the work for the find. So it's at the shop now. We washed it on the trailer when we got home (needless to say my son is quite stoked). It cleaned up VERY well. Interior is pristine with one small seam separation on the passenger side flat part of the seat. I'll post more when we get it back from the shop next week. Initial look around under the car looked better than I anticipated. Going to need engine mounts at some point. We discussed going ahead and converting the AC since it's all apart, so we'll do that too.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Justin S2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I picked up my S2 when I was a teenager and I spent many hours working on it with my father. It taught me everything I know about car mechanics and it pushed me into being an engineer. Have him take a defensive driving class with it so it takes out the urge to drive fast on the street and this way he learns the capabilities of the car.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:10 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Justin S2
Nice! I picked up my S2 when I was a teenager and I spent many hours working on it with my father. It taught me everything I know about car mechanics and it pushed me into being an engineer. Have him take a defensive driving class with it so it takes out the urge to drive fast on the street and this way he learns the capabilities of the car.
Thanks Justin, he's not the typical teenage driver. He's been driving since he was 13, dirt bikes, drives our twin engine boats, etc. His first manual drive ever was my 2009 C2S and he drives it regularly (with me in it). That said, this will be a sports car he can take out...so I hear where you're coming from. Thankfully it's not a 5.0 Mustang or M3.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:15 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Lucky son! and really clean car!

Another thing to do is the fuel lines that run over the exhaust manifold. The rubber deteriorates and can drip fuel. There is a certain member on here who makes and sells really nice kits... who I'm sure is mad he didn't get to this before you
Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 PM
TurnerJ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find! Some people will say to avoid cars that have sat but many times I have found that as long as the car was not abused and maybe a second car, sitting has not had extra ill effects. I think it will treat you well.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:51 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful car! Congratulations
Old 04-18-2015, 11:48 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats, Wheeler! Great looking car..Hope that it gets the REAL attention that it needs, and I'm sure that will happen...Lucky kid...
Old 04-19-2015, 12:06 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

nice and when's the big.................

ok, we'll hold off for now.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:18 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 230 Likes on 169 Posts

Geez, you are a super dad! Lucky kid!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:39 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice find!
Old 04-19-2015, 10:43 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
Lucky son! and really clean car!

Another thing to do is the fuel lines that run over the exhaust manifold. The rubber deteriorates and can drip fuel. There is a certain member on here who makes and sells really nice kits... who I'm sure is mad he didn't get to this before you
Thanks for the link to fuel lines, sounds like a very common issue. I'll look it over when we get the car back and see if they've been addressed yet.

The car I truly think was well cared for. The interior is pristine, other than one seam separation on the passenger seat. The rear window shade thing is still there tow hook cover, tow hook, etc. The wheels are near perfect as well. The tires are an 03 date code and look like full depth tread, too bad they're hard as a rock. I'd like to find some 17's. My son likes the BBS LM's...of course. Unless I can find some wheels quick I'll probably at least put some RE760's on the D90's so we can drive it.

Just anxious to drive it and see what else it needs...or hopefully doesn't need.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by J Berk
Nice find!
+1.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice find.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Cleaned up really nice, congrats.

From the first picture it looks like the fuel lines are still oem. I'd order some new lines and have your mechanic install them since he's doing work on it now. I got mine from Lindsey (all 4).
Old 04-21-2015, 08:54 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by veleno
Cleaned up really nice, congrats.

From the first picture it looks like the fuel lines are still oem. I'd order some new lines and have your mechanic install them since he's doing work on it now. I got mine from Lindsey (all 4).
Yes, I would say they are stock/original. I inspected them last night after getting the car home.

It runs GREAT! Clutch and gearbox feel good, although motor mounts will need to be done in short order and the transmission mount fill. The tires...wow...well I've driven on some HARD tires before but these are closer to D shaped pieced of wood. Needless to say that took away from the initial driving experience. Getting some RE760's mounted up today on the stockers, so we can at least drive it and see how the suspension feels.

The car had sat a long time, thankfully I ordered new visor clips the day we brought the car home, the originals crumbled in my hand. The seat seam separation appears to be just the stitching, so maybe it's repairable...any advice on this for replacements if needed. Sad because the seats are nearly perfect other than that.

REALLY fun car to drive (in spite of the tires)! Clutch engagement point it quite high, toward the top of the stroke...is that normal?

Thank you agian for all the help and information!

Quick Reply: S2 Barn Find