Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Boerne, Texas - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015 | 11:08 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Default Moving to Boerne, Texas - Advice?

So, I promised the 944 that if she could make it through one Chicago winter, things would change. A garage spot, no more snow or salt, and drives would mainly consist of spirited runs into town for beer and brisket. She held up her end of the bargain, time for me to do the same. One last task - the 1200 mile trip to get to Boerne, TX.

My wife and I are driving down this weekend to check out houses and prepare for the move. The plan is to take two cars down, put them in temporary storage, and fly back. I'll be driving the 944, and she'll be taking her Mercedes 280SL. Looking for any advice on the trip, or the area we are moving to.

For the trip, I plan on bringing oil, distilled water, a spare DME relay, and a cell phone. Anything else?

Once we are down there, I'd like to find a good mechanic in the area before I need one. Any referrals? Also looking to massage out a few minor dings, and my front valence (is that the right name) really needs a respray. Can anyone recommend a good paint guy?

My tires are new, but they are snow tires. I'd rather not switch over until I get there so I don't have to move tires. Any problems running winters for one last trip? Actually, it might be a little late to change, unless someone has summers in my size in stock!

Car should be well sorted. PO did the belts and distributor in the last two years. I bought last November and had a PPI, it checked out. I had all fluids and filters changed, new plugs. Just changed the oil last week. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!
pf
Old 04-01-2015 | 12:47 PM
Arominus
Race Car

The snows should be ok if you don't speed, just know they will wear a lot.
Old 04-01-2015 | 01:10 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Snows will get a bit greasy when they get a lot of heat in them. The car will also feel squirrely at freeway speeds. Just beware!
Old 04-01-2015 | 06:43 PM
GARG
Rennlist Member

You are going to love it there.
Old 04-01-2015 | 08:31 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Many years since I was there, it's about 40 miles or so north of San Antonio...pretty rugged there, then. You'll love the Texas freeways and their speed limits..roads should be pretty good and you'll be impressed with the open meadows of bluebonnets and indian paintbrush flowers that will be along the freeways this time of year. It's be warm there, so shorts and a light jacket would be good..be sure to use bug repellent around your ankles and where there is any constricting clothing..tops of tennis shoes etc..sock tops etc..the chiggers are fierce and so are the fire ants...Summers are very hot and that will last until about Oct/Nov. everybody goes inside and hibernates until then with the AC...Keep your cars out of the sun with covers, carport, garages, etc..the UV is not kindly to paint and natural rubber...BTW, also dump your shoes out every morning when you get up..no telling what could have crawled in there overnight...not the right time to find a scorpion inside the hard way...just a few things you ought to know about Texas...also the people are friendly and generally nice folk. SA (San Antonio) is a bustling metropolis..you should be able to hook up with a local PCA or p-car club fairly easily...and get the lowdown on where to take your car if you need to..Welcome to Texas..wish I was going back..Rich Nunn
Old 04-01-2015 | 08:38 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Dear Pugface: Shiner Bock Beer is great and there will be plenty of brisket and Bar-B-Que down there..The Texas pecans are some of the greatest and the grapefruit and oranges from "down in the valley" are wonderful..sorry about the rambling..guys..it's once I get started things...Tiger 03447
Old 04-01-2015 | 09:04 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
The snows should be ok if you don't speed, just know they will wear a lot.
Originally Posted by Spidey944
Snows will get a bit greasy when they get a lot of heat in them. The car will also feel squirrely at freeway speeds. Just beware!
Thanks, guys. Looks like the trip will start out cold (28 in Chicago Friday), and I'll keep the speed rational. So, I should be good to go. It will be nice to have it down there, and see how much better it handles with some summer tires!
Old 04-01-2015 | 09:36 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GARG
You are going to love it there.
Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Welcome to Texas..wish I was going back..Rich Nunn
Thanks - We're pretty excited about the move. Whenever people ask us why we're going to Texas, we say "Because we can". Besides, it will make the wife happy enough that I can sneak in another Porsche...
Old 04-01-2015 | 11:49 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Welcome to Texas. Wife and I moved here (Dallas) from Memphis 12 years so. Love it. If you get lucky, might be able to see the blue bonnets in bloom along the eat on the drive down. Once you're settled in, head over to Love Creek Orchard in Medina for some great apple pie. Then Google "Texas Twisted Sisters"....T
Old 04-02-2015 | 12:22 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Lots of room to drive and lots of pretty girls
Old 04-02-2015 | 12:55 PM
carlege
Drifting

Do you speak spanish?
Old 04-02-2015 | 01:11 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Dear Pugface: once you are down there and getting settled, if you need an attorney, look up C.F .Wetherbee..great guy and a friend of mine..lives in Boerne...
Old 04-08-2015 | 12:12 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Very good life style in that area.

Nice, good luck.
Old 04-13-2015 | 11:18 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the comments and advice, everyone!

The 944 made the trip fine. One small hitch - once we got down to Texas on a hotter day, the car started overheating at idle (at stop lights)

I had no internet, but I remembered from reading Rennlist the last few months that the AC switch would turn on the e-fans. Tried that, and the car stayed cool all week. The limited testing I could do pointed to a bad thermo-switch. I'll get to that when I get down there. As of now, the 944 is in storage for 6 weeks, then it will have its own garage spot at the new place.

pf

Quick Reply: Moving to Boerne, Texas - Advice?