Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT advice on letting a loved one go.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 12:37 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Default OT advice on letting a loved one go.

About ten years ago I got a 1980 Plymouth Duster. in bad shape then, I made it a little better, and sunk way to much money dropping a racing cam in when I replaced the Head with the hope of a future carb upgrade.

The body is in bad shape, I started her but I'm no good at body work.

But since getting the 944 and having the Bronco, I never drive her. Hasn't even been inspected this year as the windshield needs to be replaced. In fact I haven't driven the Bronco since January.

So heres the problem. Keeping the Duster makes no sense, but I can't bear to get rid of her. By far the most reliable car I have ever owned, and I've it's also been used by a few friends when their car was down.

Friend may be passing his 325 on to me, and it really doesn't make sense for one person in an apartment having 4 cars. Specially when I can't even keep the ones I have in good repair and insured.

So what should I do. I can't bear taking her to a junkyard.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:41 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you can sell it cheap or donate to someone who needs it? Isn't there a web board for Duster owners?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:08 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Doubt I could sell it. All the high school kids here drive late model Mustangs and Honda's. Hard to move it here. I'd be happy to get my $100 in return.

Not any boards for an 80 duster which is just a volare with a better rear end. /6 car.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:21 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hang on to it until you find someone who wants it. I hate seeing stuff like that get junked. Once it's gone it's never coming back, and there is some one out there who wants it. It's only a matter of finding him or her. Maybe you could put it on ebay. Since you aren't looking for a large sum of money you won't be risking taking a hit on the auction price, and with ebay you open it up to a pretty big market.

I knew a guy who had what I guess at one time was a Triumph Stag. It was just about unrecognizable (completely rusted, no engine I think, bad glass, bad interior, bad everything), and he was moving. He was going to drag it to a junkyard not expecting to get anything for it but I told him if he doesn't put it on ebay I'll push it to my house and do it myself. He ended up putting it on ebay and getting $800 for it!

Even if he got five dollars at least that car would have gone to someone who wanted it, either as a project or to part out. Your car is in a lot better condition than this one. Someone out there wants it, find them!

Good luck whatever you end up doing with it.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:31 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Epic.

Been thinking about it. Geuss my desire that it go to someone that will take care of her is overiding a lot of common sense.

Gonna be in Pittsburgh Friday night BTW.

Sandoval.

What are you on about.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:35 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there was a way that I could come up to NH and get it I would, trust me. I need a car desperately. If it would last the whole way down to MD and all it needed was a windshield to pass INSP. here , I'd take care of it.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:45 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Well a windshield maybe a tire and a lax inspector (Pulled the air pump out about 2 weeks after getting it)

I'd throw the tire in. (well two because you don't want the big fatties I've got on as the scrub the wheel well).

It would definitely make it there. Mainly because any problems you have on a /6 can be fixed with bailing wire and chewing gum, and I have a variety of wingy parts I would throw in for you.

She does need some work, mainly just motor mounts, not hard to do either. Real easy car to work on. she leaks oil, but on slants you worry more when they don't leak oil.

So find yourself a bus ticket and get up here. $100 I throw in two rear tires, you get a windshield in, and of course I'll help getting her ready.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:47 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Oh and a promise to take care of her.

Her name is Al Bundy.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:55 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

LoL...Al Bundy...that kinda scares me..
Old 09-04-2003, 01:58 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lemme see what I can do. MD is a bitch when it comes to getting cars inspected around here. They are much more thorough than PA. If I did come up, I'd be buying a cheap plane ticket. Sure as hell, the ride home is going to be a long one. I'm waiting for the old man to wake up and see what he says about another car he found. I'm running low on options. Thank God it isn't an 8 in that car because with my income, gas is a luxury.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:58 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Epic, Triumph Stag? That was the European slang for the TR7. A ****ty car mechanically wise and also got me fried from my seperated wife when I took an Italian exchange student out in it, as it was ex-wife's car. I hate it.

But the sex was good with the Italian and the exwife got that POS as her part of the property. So everything worked out OK, outside of failed marriage.

Last edited by IceShark; 09-04-2003 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:02 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW Sid, where in NH do you live?
Old 09-04-2003, 02:03 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Yours if you want it. She's here. To bad she wasn't ready to roll right now, as I'm headed to Pittsburgh Friday and it would be nice for me to go down a major portion of the drive with you, not just as a precaution, but kind of a parting goodbye.

Of course you could get Tremulines 944 for a good price too.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:05 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Nashua. southern center.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:16 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Thinking about it.

Other option for you Brrt, special deal, Rennlisters only.

$500 and you can have my Bronco (88) Needs a gas tank. Also needs a tailgate, but not to run. Everything else is fine. Bit of a shimmy on the Highway but what do you excpect for an 88 Truck for $500.

Paid $1200 18 months ago. Not pretty, but a good runner. Got a Lock up Tourqe converter. Climbs like you wouldn't believe, took it out on my buddies Dirt bike track, he has a monster Jeep and he was amazed at what the Bronco could do.

And if you can get the tailgate fixed the roof comes off.

Quick Reply: OT advice on letting a loved one go.