Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Analysis: Roll Stiffness & Ride Frequency

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Years ago I made a spreadsheet to try to calculate some of this. It's been a while since I played with it... But looking at it now, here are some of the values:

This is my orange car - in SP2 class. I have 30mm torsion bars in it, but you can see what the equivalent spring rate would be for the coil-overs.

*Note* these are all calculations based on the best measurements/guesses I could make at the time... It doesn't mean that they're fact.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by L Cubed
Arominus, from your setup I calculate

Roll Stiffness's of:
Front = 1507 lb-ft/deg
Rear = 1494 lb-ft/deg (stiffest bar position)
Total = 3001 lb-ft/deg
Roll Couple Distribution = 50.2 % front

Based on the 225/255 F/R tire width the "Grip" Distribution = 45.9 % front, I am hypothesizing that this 5% difference is a big contributor to your understeer, as you probably suspected by suggesting a move to 27 mm rear torsion bars.

Roll Stiffness if you increase rear Torsion bars to 27 mm:
Front = 1507 lb-ft/deg
Rear = 1691 lb-ft/deg (stiffest bar position)
Total = 3198 lb-ft/deg (+6.5 %)
Roll Couple Distribution = 47.1 % front

This would be a good step to reduce some of the understeer without likely creating and based on Speedy's car it sounds like 200 #/27 mm is a good combo.

I think another option for you might be to swap out the 30 mm front bar for one of the 26.8 mm bars.

Roll Stiffness if you swap to 26.8 mm front anti-roll bar:
Front = 1001 lb-ft/deg
Rear = 1199 lb-ft/deg (middle bar position)
Total = 2200 lb-ft/deg (-26.7 %)
Roll Couple Distribution = 45.5 % front

If my assumptions and measurements are right this option would provide a close to neutral car with the ability to move the rear bar either stiffer or softer to create more oversteer or understeer.

A lot of this depends on some of the variables in how the suspension works, which with more input from others on how their setups respond we could have a better of understanding of the suitable ranges of Roll Couple Distribution vs Approximate "Grip" Distribution to predict handling balance... at least that is what I am working towards.

Dude, thank you! i don't have the 26.8mm front bar anymore but i have a 25.5 hanging around, how would that look? i'm tempted to throw it on.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:37 AM
L Cubed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realized after writing the previous post that I had made an error in my spreadsheet for the 30mm front roll bar, giving it the wrong motion ratio. This means when I calculated the numbers for Dimi's and Arominus's car

Arominus your corrected Roll Stiffness's are:
Front = 1278 lb-ft/deg
Rear = 1494 lb-ft/deg (stiffest bar position)
Total = 2772 lb-ft/deg
Roll Couple Distribution = 46.1 % front

This roll couple distribution is very close to the "Grip" distribution of 45.9 % front. Though the reported issues of some understeer and lift-oversteer might be related to other setup variables which have influence over the transient behaviors. That being said the 27 mm torsion bars could still be a fair change, creating a 47.8 % front roll couple distribution with the rear bar on the middle position.
Arominus I posted this a little earlier and you might not have seen it. I found an error in the way I calculated the contribution of the 30mm front anti-roll bar. Is your push at corner entry or mid corner? Is this in autocross or road courses? I found that running 10' total toe out on an otherwise stock car with -1.2 deg front camber (max I could get) helped tremendously with turn-in feeling on the slaloms and tight hairpins of autocross. Another turn-in helper was to stiffen the front rebound of my Koni yellows. Now I must caution you on this because I found out that if it the front rebound was too high it would not transfer load to the rear axle as fast as I could hit the throttle causing massive throttle on oversteer, after softening the front rebound I could get the power down on corner exit though had to add some more steering effort to get the car to turn-in. Hope this helps
Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 AM
L Cubed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Van
Years ago I made a spreadsheet to try to calculate some of this. It's been a while since I played with it... But looking at it now, here are some of the values:

This is my orange car - in SP2 class. I have 30mm torsion bars in it, but you can see what the equivalent spring rate would be for the coil-overs.

*Note* these are all calculations based on the best measurements/guesses I could make at the time... It doesn't mean that they're fact.
Van, thanks for sharing your spreadsheet! I find that your wheel rates from springs matches my math, though I am not following how you are calculating the effective wheel rate from the anti-roll bars.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:20 AM
L Cubed
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
I may have missed it, but have you incorporated roll couple due to roll centre height?
Given the difference between front and rear rc height, this has a significant effect.
Cheers,
Mike
Mike, you didn't miss it. I have not used roll center heights in any of the calculations. Roll center heights do not affect the roll stiffness, they do affect how much the body will roll but not the roll stiffness nor the weight transfer.

I have done skidpad testing in a formula car to validate that the roll center heights do not affect "quasi-steady-state" handling balance. In "quasi-steady-state" all the weight has transferred at this point and so it is just the level lateral force the tires are generating to keep the car running in a circle on the skidpad. The final weight transfer distribution is proportional to the roll couple distribution. So if one axle has all the roll stiffness it will have all the weight transfer (not likely to happen but good visual); if this hypothetical car had the same tires at each corner and had equal static weight on each tire then in a corner the axle without any roll stiffness will have the same weight on each tire while the axle with all the roll stiffness will have one heavy laden tire and one unladen tire. This is important because tires have what is called tire load sensitivity which means that if we double the load on the tire we don't get double the lateral grip out of it, we get less. Meaning the axle with all the roll stiffness loses lateral force capability the more the weight gets transferred; and the less grip that axle creates. This is why I believe that you want to aim to have the roll couple distribution within a few percent of the "grip" distribution if you want neutral at limit handling balance in mid-corner or "quasi-steady-state".

With all of that in mind, you are correct that the roll center hieghts can have a profound effect on the transient handling characteristics. This is because the roll center heights greatest effect is on the weight transfer RATE. Since we know weight transfer is proportional to lateral grip level, the end of the car that transfers weight faster will be perceived as having more grip during the transient situation. So raising or lowering the roll centers at either end can help with transient handling balance issues. My preference from doing the skidpad testing in the formula car is to keep the roll centers low to keep the chassis reactions more readable by the driver (human reaction time limits) but high enough to help keep the body roll in the desired range without needing excessive springs or anti-roll bars. On the formula car with a 12" CG height, my preference on roll center height was about 1-2".

This may disagree with what some books say as it is based on my observations studying vehicle dynamics on a formula car. YMMV
Old 03-31-2015, 11:29 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Van, thanks for sharing your spreadsheet! I find that your wheel rates from springs matches my math, though I am not following how you are calculating the effective wheel rate from the anti-roll bars.
I really don't know if I'm doing that calculation correctly... But I'm taking half the length of the sway bar (because, in a static view, the sway bar seems to push one side up and one side equally down) and the modulus of rigidity to calculate the torsional twist in lbs/degree (to try and get a spring rate equivalent to match a conventional coil spring). And then the wheel rate is based on the moment of the lever arm and the angle of the drop link and the motion ratio (where the sway bar connection is on the control arm).

I'm using the Tarret adjustable bars - that's why the drop link angle comes into play.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arominus
Dude, thank you! i don't have the 26.8mm front bar anymore but i have a 25.5 hanging around, how would that look? i'm tempted to throw it on.
I have a 26.8mm bar if you want to go that route.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 AM
L Cubed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Van
I really don't know if I'm doing that calculation correctly... But I'm taking half the length of the sway bar (because, in a static view, the sway bar seems to push one side up and one side equally down) and the modulus of rigidity to calculate the torsional twist in lbs/degree (to try and get a spring rate equivalent to match a conventional coil spring). And then the wheel rate is based on the moment of the lever arm and the angle of the drop link and the motion ratio (where the sway bar connection is on the control arm).

I'm using the Tarret adjustable bars - that's why the drop link angle comes into play.
Van, I think your measurements look good. What confuses me is how a bar that stiff would only contribute 54 lb/in to the wheel rate. When I calculate its stiffness, assuming pure roll and using your lever arm and my bar length (I measured 41.25" from end to end where it matches up to the control arm) I get that it provides 473 lb-ft/deg to chassis roll stiffness. From your provided wheel rate from the spring (331 lb/in) I calculate a roll stiffness of 815 lb-ft/deg. So I would expect that you have a wheel rate of 192 lb/in contribution from the Tarret roll bar.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:03 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike, you didn't miss it. I have not used roll center heights in any of the calculations. Roll center heights do not affect the roll stiffness, they do affect how much the body will roll but not the roll stiffness nor the weight transfer.

I have done skidpad testing in a formula car to validate that the roll center heights do not affect "quasi-steady-state" handling balance. In "quasi-steady-state" all the weight has transferred at this point and so it is just the level lateral force the tires are generating to keep the car running in a circle on the skidpad. The final weight transfer distribution is proportional to the roll couple distribution. So if one axle has all the roll stiffness it will have all the weight transfer (not likely to happen but good visual); if this hypothetical car had the same tires at each corner and had equal static weight on each tire then in a corner the axle without any roll stiffness will have the same weight on each tire while the axle with all the roll stiffness will have one heavy laden tire and one unladen tire. This is important because tires have what is called tire load sensitivity which means that if we double the load on the tire we don't get double the lateral grip out of it, we get less. Meaning the axle with all the roll stiffness loses lateral force capability the more the weight gets transferred; and the less grip that axle creates. This is why I believe that you want to aim to have the roll couple distribution within a few percent of the "grip" distribution if you want neutral at limit handling balance in mid-corner or "quasi-steady-state".

With all of that in mind, you are correct that the roll center hieghts can have a profound effect on the transient handling characteristics. This is because the roll center heights greatest effect is on the weight transfer RATE. Since we know weight transfer is proportional to lateral grip level, the end of the car that transfers weight faster will be perceived as having more grip during the transient situation. So raising or lowering the roll centers at either end can help with transient handling balance issues. My preference from doing the skidpad testing in the formula car is to keep the roll centers low to keep the chassis reactions more readable by the driver (human reaction time limits) but high enough to help keep the body roll in the desired range without needing excessive springs or anti-roll bars. On the formula car with a 12" CG height, my preference on roll center height was about 1-2".

This may disagree with what some books say as it is based on my observations studying vehicle dynamics on a formula car. YMMV
Hi L cubed (and your nemesis, D to the fourth)

I understand all of what you have said above, and good to see you have backed it up with real-world experience! Great work.

I'm still going to challenge you on the roll centre assumptions. Roll centre force transfer is instantaneous, however that doesn't make it transient (unlike shocks, which are transient).

And if roll centre height affects final roll angle then surely it has affected roll stiffness? Roll stiffness being measured in degrees per g.

I wrote a spreadsheet about 20 years ago which included RC height, based on the formulae from "the Milliken".

Quite enlightening, I'd share a copy of the spreadsheet with you if I still had it. It gave vertical tyre loads at each wheel, under any combination of forward and lateral acceleration (yep also incorporated antidive/antisquat)

Happy to continue this discussion offline if you like?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Van, I think your measurements look good. What confuses me is how a bar that stiff would only contribute 54 lb/in to the wheel rate. When I calculate its stiffness, assuming pure roll and using your lever arm and my bar length (I measured 41.25" from end to end where it matches up to the control arm) I get that it provides 473 lb-ft/deg to chassis roll stiffness. From your provided wheel rate from the spring (331 lb/in) I calculate a roll stiffness of 815 lb-ft/deg. So I would expect that you have a wheel rate of 192 lb/in contribution from the Tarret roll bar.
I was thinking about this last night, and I think I have forgotten a major piece of the equation. My values are really in lbs/degree rotation... but somehow the "inch" part got in there, too... I think we have to figure out how many degrees of rotation it would take for the drop link to travel 1" - it might be a few degrees, which would make that value higher.

Also, that bar I'm using is smaller than the stock Tarret bar, so don't be fooled by that.

I also don't know if it's right to calculate the torsional force from the center of the bar... If that calculation should be over the whole length of the bar, then the spring rate value will go down by half...
Old 04-02-2015, 05:27 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I was thinking about this last night, and I think I have forgotten a major piece of the equation. My values are really in lbs/degree rotation... but somehow the "inch" part got in there, too... I think we have to figure out how many degrees of rotation it would take for the drop link to travel 1" - it might be a few degrees, which would make that value higher.

Also, that bar I'm using is smaller than the stock Tarret bar, so don't be fooled by that.

I also don't know if it's right to calculate the torsional force from the center of the bar... If that calculation should be over the whole length of the bar, then the spring rate value will go down by half...
Hi Van, yep calculating from the centre of the bar is correct. This is the"fixed point" in pure roll. The two halves of the bar work in parallel (just like the left and right springs) to resist roll, so you need to double the result.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimi 944
I have a pretty balanced setup right now on my S2 coupe: OEM 944 S springs (125lbs/in), 24mm TB, 30mm/19mm sways on konis and lowered a bit, 225/255 tires. With the rear sway bar at the middle position the car feels quite neutral in corners.
Dimi what are you using on the rear? I'm thinking of trying the 30 series Konis with stock TBs and would appreciate your opinion?

Quick Reply: Suspension Analysis: Roll Stiffness & Ride Frequency