Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cheap tricks?

Looking for advice on installing SuperMount semi-solid motor and transmission mounts on an '89 944 S2. Got them from the manufacturer and while I'm waiting for parts and tools for a transmission refresh (LSD, short 5th) and a torque tube rebuild I'm getting set to install new motor and transmission mounts. The transmission looks dead simple, the motor mounts a little more challenging.

The car is on a lift and the engine is supported by a lift jack under the oil pan.

Anyone done this willing to share tips and tricks?
Old 03-17-2015, 05:33 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

It'll be very straight forward. Another bonus of the semi solid mounts is that they are much easier to install than the stocks are to remove.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM951
It'll be very straight forward. Another bonus of the semi solid mounts is that they are much easier to install than the stocks are to remove.
Well that's encouraging All I need to do is get the cussed stock mounts out !

Smiling, the boy fell dead ...
Old 03-17-2015, 05:59 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

I actually have found a discussion on this topic that looks pretty good. I had to use google with a Rennlist site restriction to find it, but it's here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...placement.html

Maybe the site admins would consider adding a google search engine to replace the site search we already have? I've found multiple word searches don't work well. If you try something like "motor mount remove" in the advanced search you get every article written that includes the words "motor" "mount" and "remove". 2000 pages later you might find the thread I mention above, Google takes you there in less than a second.

Just sayin'
Old 03-17-2015, 06:16 PM
StickShift
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Maybe the site admins would consider adding a google search engine to replace the site search we already have? I've found multiple word searches don't work well. If you try something like "motor mount remove" in the advanced search you get every article written that includes the words "motor" "mount" and "remove". 2000 pages later you might find the thread I mention above, Google takes you there in less than a second.

Just sayin'
Just put quotes around your search. If you put "motor mount replacement" the thread would have shown up as the second thread. It would have never shown up with motor mount remove as your search.

Just sayin'

Old 03-17-2015, 06:20 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StickShift
Just put quotes around your search. If you put "motor mount replacement" the thread would have shown up as the second thread. It would have never shown up with motor mount remove as your search.

Just sayin'

Old 03-17-2015, 06:33 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

A victim of my own circumstance, I had some leftover 3M windshield adhesive last week. I semi filled the 'silent block' tranny mount on my 92. Great improvement with what little I added so I may fill it the rest of the way. I still have a slight amount of up and down play.

Kevin Gross had mentioned that some ppl trim the mounting bolt on the motor mounts to ease installation. Other say you need to twist them a bit. I had to compress mine with my foot to flip them under the lip....
Old 03-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

But I should mention that using (without quotes) "porsche 944 motor mount remove site: rennlist.com" worked to find that thread. So, although picking the corrected keywords and quoting them right works with the internal search engine, the Google engine appears to be much more forgiving, and therefore much more useful.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
A victim of my own circumstance, I had some leftover 3M windshield adhesive last week. I semi filled the 'silent block' tranny mount on my 92. Great improvement with what little I added so I may fill it the rest of the way. I still have a slight amount of up and down play.

Kevin Gross had mentioned that some ppl trim the mounting bolt on the motor mounts to ease installation. Other say you need to twist them a bit. I had to compress mine with my foot to flip them under the lip....
I thought about filling the transmission mount but I was also doing the motor mounts and, let's be honest, you can't do everything, so I decided to farm out the mounts.

It's always tough drawing that line; when do you do it in house and when do you pay someone else? The SuperMounts look like well designed parts and for the 8 or so hours it would take me to cook up a home brew solution, plus raw materials, I decided to buy rather than build.

I'll keep you all posted on results?
Old 03-17-2015, 06:49 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

When I changed my motor mounts I found that a socket - short extension - wobbly - long extension - ratchet, snaked down between the headers to one bolt on the motor mount worked well (front side). For the other bolt a wobbly headed, ratcheting box end wrench worked best for the really tight space.

Managed to do both of mine in 4 hours. My car is an N/A so the drives side was a lot easier if I removed the airbox.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used an engine support bar to pull the engine up after unbolting the stock mounts, then putting in the semi solids was pretty easy.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
I used an engine support bar to pull the engine up after unbolting the stock mounts, then putting in the semi solids was pretty easy.
My mistake would have been putting the car on the lift with the front end against the back wall, where I can't get my engine hoist in. Dumb.

I'd say "next time", but I really don't expect a next time. My guess is I'm doing this once in my life and I have the car backwards

So I'm stuck with lifting the engine on the lift jack instead of with a crane.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

From the feedback Arominus has offered, I'm going to guess unbolting the mounts then lifting the engine on a jack is probably the best approach?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxfj
When I changed my motor mounts I found that a socket - short extension - wobbly - long extension - ratchet, snaked down between the headers to one bolt on the motor mount worked well (front side). For the other bolt a wobbly headed, ratcheting box end wrench worked best for the really tight space.

Managed to do both of mine in 4 hours. My car is an N/A so the drives side was a lot easier if I removed the airbox.
Thanks Pdxfj, I'm working on a lift so I think working under the car might give me better access; I can see all the bolts without any clearance problems I know about yet (yet is a big qualifier).

When you say "wobbly head" I'll guess you mean what I call a "universal" and I'll also guess you went to school in England? Maybe Australia? I did (England) too

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 03-17-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

I had my car up on jack stands and some of the angles were just too funky to get at from underneath. My next house will either have a large enough garage for a lift, or enough space to build a shop where I can install a lift.

"Wobbly" was the name my father used for a universal.. neither of us went to school outside the U.S.

Here are the wrenches I'm referring to:

http://www.gearwrench.com/wrenches/ratcheting/flex-head

Guess they are called a "flex head". Bought them a long time ago to work on my motorcycles and they have been more helpful than I ever imagined.

Changing the mounts was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. A second set of hands really helps.

Quick Reply: Cheap tricks?