Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Broke Down....Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003 | 11:21 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unhappy Car Broke Down....Need Help

Well, fellow posters...I've had my first ever car stall when out driving my baby.....can you help me with the diagnosis please? (I am learning, but I am still not quite the 944 turbo expert)

1986 951 with 109,000 miles
Temperature today: around 85-degrees

BREAKDOWN PROBLEM:

* Drove car for about 30 miles into downtown Portland

* Parked car for 1 hour for lunch

* Drove car after lunch....noticed that engine temp needle quickly hit the red-zone.... slight never-heard-before constant whining whirring type sound coming from the turbo area when car was idling

* Engine check light (!) lit up

* Stopped car....noticed slight oil or water leak under the driver front wheel fender

* Also realised turbo water pump did not come on after the engine was turned off

I also realised that the car would idle fine earlier during the day, but there seemed to be some rattling noise near the turbo area when starting the engine today.

I waited for an hour for the tow truck to arrive and take my baby to the shop. The car will start, but the engine temp needle will climb fairly quickly into the red zone after a few minutes of idling (but no more rattling sound or oil leak).

It could be a faulty turbo water pump relay. But my hunch is that the problem is bigger than this (especially with the evidence of an oil leak). Unfortunately, I am not an expert on the turbo system, and I was wondering if you guys will be kind enough to offer some hunches on the cause of the problem(s).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 08-30-2003 | 11:35 PM
ewainwright
Racer

First grab a beer, relax, and check your oil and coolant. If there is oil in your coolant or your oil looks like that milk shake that you just had for lunch - grab another beer. If these conditions don't exist garb another beer anyway. Let us know what's up.
Old 08-30-2003 | 11:40 PM
MM951
Race Director

With my Z when that happened the thermostat wasnt working..prevents the coolant from circulating and makes the car overheat damn quick!

EDIT: Just a suggestion, its teh cheapest part in the cooling system to replace and you might as well do it anyway. Pretty easy for me to fix to.
Old 08-30-2003 | 11:45 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Very true. However, the oil leak (if it was) and winding sound may be a concern. Driver's side front could be coolant over flow with a slight noise that maybe made by the pressure cap.
Old 08-30-2003 | 11:46 PM
MM951
Race Director

Yeah, milkshake= headgasket, right? Coolant overflow with me was becuase it was boiling over and the pressure made it shoot out of hte overflow tank. Replacing the t-stat solved it. I'd replace the cap too....
Old 08-31-2003 | 01:40 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

The ground was fairly dirty....it was hard to determine if it was an oil leak or water leak. I hope that it is simply a water pump or thermostat...cos' I needed to change the timing belt anyway (2 years since the last time).

I'll also have the shop check out the turbo electric pump.

THANKS for your tips!
Old 08-31-2003 | 04:16 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Mike Markota
Yeah, milkshake= headgasket, right? Coolant overflow with me was becuase it was boiling over and the pressure made it shoot out of hte overflow tank. Replacing the t-stat solved it. I'd replace the cap too....
Milkshake could also equal a faulty heat exchanger.
Old 08-31-2003 | 04:30 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Educated guess; the electric turbo pump went south.The little pump has seals on it which go bad and cause a slow leak and bind the motor,
Old 09-02-2003 | 08:41 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just heard from the shop...

The water pump seized up and it caused the whining sound. Leak turned out to be water overflowing from the coolant discharge pipe. The timing belt was fairly worn from having to work against the seized bearing. But fortunately, no damage to the head or valves. I also needed to change a worn 2-year old distributor and rotor (estimate: $990).

It was about time for a timing belt change anyway (2 years since the last one)...but I am surprised that the water pump seized up after 2 years...oh well....

Thanks to those who posted!!!

Quick Reply: Car Broke Down....Need Help