Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Cayennes not selling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ERAU-944
water, just for you im gonna do my best to use the worst grammar ever. and you know what? you'll still get what im saying. keep talking from your backside, and i'll keep doing this, just to tick you off. you are a raging lunatic, and i'm sorry that i have to keep reading the garbage you are spouting. this is a public forum, and unlike you i seem to be able to accept the fact that i may read some things on here that i dont like.... like the fact that the cayenne turbo is WAY faster stock than your 951. PERIOD. i'm sorry you're getting bent over as far as gas prices go. thats not the point. the cayenne is the best suv and to call it a mistake on porsche's behalf is dead wrong. i'm just glad you arent running the company, otherwise i'd have nothing to look forward to owning in terms of sports cars yet to be designed. please, if you're going to keep vomiting out the crap you're becoming famous for, at least do it without threatening me. also, putting a cheers sign after that doesnt make you look any cooler.
This is no more, and no less than what I expected. If you go back and look, I have never called you names, or threatened you in any way. I am sorta surprised that the 'don't bring a knife to a gunfight' thing went over your head, but not REALLY surprised.

I have made several allusions to the fact that you post in a fairly sub-literate fashion, but I have refrained from direct name-calling, which I believe you fired the first round in. Mostly I have been doing it cause its easy to throw rocks at slow-moving targets, shame on me. I will stop now.
And for your 'worst' grammar ever, that was probably the most comprehensable post I have seen from you.

For the record, what are you saying when you say the Cayenne is faster than a 951? Do you mean at the drag strip? Or on a track? My guess is the drag strip, where I am sure it is a holy terror, filled with groceries and snot-faced rugrats, blistering out a 13.2@103!

But go try to run a real track, with actual corners. I suspect that high center of gravity, and the extra ~2200lbs become a slight liability.

But the bottom line is, and I stand by it: the Porsche Cayenne is a huge and horribly mis-timed brainfart on the part of Porsche management. You said that you were glad I wasn't running Porsche, which is a shame, because I would have gone back to the roots...I would have brought back both the 356 line, and the watercooled frontengine line, e.g. the 969.

The 357, which not only is a good marketing name, but is a car with a real history...this car could have been a 3 seater, set up like a McLaren with a center driving position, but still room for passengers, and try for a curb weight of 2500lbs. Use a NA engine at around 240HP and give it a similar styling cue to the GT, only as a coupe rather than vert.. Price at $35,000, and stir vigorously. Pimptastic! Who would want an S2000 or Mini with a complete badass like that around?

And the 969, a pure driving car, with the same/or better interior dimensions as the 944/951 series, but freshened and updated, with the 3.2L engine and an available turbo. Say 300HP for the NA, and 425HP for the boosted version. Sculpt a 968 liberally with hydroforming, toss in a splash of 928GTS badassness, scoot the rear seat back 4 inches to make it functional, and dress it in black. Price at $45,000 and pray you built enough.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no way a base Cayenne is faster than a 951. It's not faster than a NA 944. It's barely faster than a 1977 924.

Base Cayenne has a Volkswagen V6. 0-60 in 9.1 seconds. Plus the handling minuses of the high center of gravity, weight, etc.

Yes, the Cayenne Turbo is fast. For $90,000 it should be!
Old 09-02-2003, 03:18 PM
dave120
Drifting

The base Cayenne is still a 350 hp v8, and it definately faster than an NA 944 is. There is no V6 yet, though there is speculation that it's coming.

And you'd be rather surprised at the Cayenne on a real track! There was an S model out at Sebring when I went and watched a DE there and the thing was blowing by Boxsters and 930s, and yes, 951s. (This was in the instructor group btw) And it wasn't even the Turbo. The Turbo is lapping the Nurburgring at record times for a vehicle in its class, beaten only if i recall correctly by some 600+ hp monster SUV I forget the make) with insane modifications..the Cayenne is stock.

Like I said, go drive one. It'll surprise the hell outta you.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Cayenne S is pretty fast. Even in the corners when you are driving the hellout of it. Mike, a few other listers and I went down to autox them last month.
http://www.rennbay.com/mud.html
You have got to take one through a track before you start saying the good old "we'd beat em' in the twistys" thing. It holds true when put head to head with most other cars but I dont think it would give you a win with the Cayenne. I am not saying one way or another because they would not let us run the track with the 944/951 s and compare times but.... they are impressive.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:23 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

... wow you are thick.

on a real track, smart stuff, it will eat your 951 alive. welcome to the 21st century, where the technology now has surpassed your and my 1980s technology, get it through your head, i've learned to accept it. you continute to emit garbage, and until you go experience one of these 'school busses' for yourself you can't say what it is or is not capable of. go, drive, beleive. till then shut your hole about oh the cayenne is a mistake this, and oh if i ran porsche things would be so much better. get a clue again, it'd be in the sh!tter because you didnt sell cars.

i love the way you all criticize things you dont know about. sean, you seem sore that its faster than a boxster, i'm sure your s will edge it out, but still, faster than many sports cars. how many companies offer off road performance and blistering track times from the same vehicle? one. Porsche.

the cayenne is here to stay, so why whine. just pray it saves porsche so we can continue to get really good cars.

-Michael- not being an arrogant bastard.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:26 PM
incessant
Racer

I'd sell it and get something else. If I had to choose one to drive every day, I'd pick a 0 miles 944 over 0 miles Cayenne every time.
Couldn't agree more.

If I had to pick, I'd say the #1 reason I like my car is the style. Then the handling, power, etc.. This is price aside! It is just a huge bonus that they depreciated to such an extent.

The Cayenne is an amazing machine, I agree, and I don't blame Porsche for wanting to be successful, and grabbing a piece of the SUV market.. but the Cayenne just dosen't have that head-turning Porsche style we fanatics have grown accustomed to. It is not 'Ugly' persay, but certainly dosen't have to looks of a 944.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:48 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I know I'm making a mistake here but I'm going to add my two cents worth. Whether or not the Cayenne is a mistake or not, we shall see. Personally, I cannot stand the things. If I was going to own an SUV, no matter what the cost, I'd pick a GMC or Ford any day of the week. All GMC does is trucks and SUV's! That is their specialty and they stick to it. Ford has a wonderful history with their pickups and through experience, know them as rock solid machines. I'll be the first to say that the Cayenne is wasteful extravagance. But if you have the money for one, it is your right to buy it if you want it. I've been to Jeep outings and have seen those Wranglers and CJ7's climb rocks better than I can. I know for a fact that the Cayenne cannot do that. That is MY definition of a true off road vehicle. Besides, what the hell do you think would happen if you rolled that Cayenne over? You wouldn't be able to hook it up and pull that thing upright again without much effort. There are no roll bars in the vehicle. No my friends, I'll stick to American and keep the German in the garage.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:05 PM
incessant
Racer

My father fits the mold of the potential Cayenne buyer. He has a 964 as a weekend/track car and has a Mercedes ML 430 as a daily driver/tow vehicle. He checked out the Cayenne S and liked it, but not enough to justify the 25K price difference over what he paid for his ML. I think if the Cayenne S was priced in the 50-55K range, it would sell better.
If the Cayenne was 50-55K, it would be an H2. The Cayenne is far superior to any other SUV I've read about.. its almost ridiculous, what with automatic adjustable ride height based on vehicle speed. Quite amazing.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:18 PM
dave120
Drifting

Cayenne can't climb rocks? I musta missed the part where we were at about a 55 degree angle climbing towards the sky in the thing, and then dropping about 65 degrees on the way back down. The computers that control the traction in that thing are incredible. In some instances there was *1* wheel on the ground and it drove like it was nothing.

I think you guys need to really see and experience what this this thing can do before you start stating what it can and can't do based on what you personally think.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Word!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 05:25 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's say it can climb rocks as well as a Jeep. But what would happen if the thing turned over?
Old 09-02-2003, 05:28 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Furthermore, what would it cost to fix the pepper mobile if it turned over trying to climb rocks.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:47 PM
jp944
Pro

I didn't care much for it at first, but after watching the Car & Driver road test, I'm much more interested. The Cayenne is probably no more impractical for me than my 944, the only real difference is about $80K that I don't have. If I was loaded, and the wife wanted an SUV, and I knew I'd be driving it on weekends.....

Car & Driver video

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=6964
Old 09-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, having seen several, I'd have to admit that it sorta grows on you. Kinda like the ugly mutt in the dog pound that turns out to be a grey hound. The C has lapped the Ring at some insane speeds. I'm impressed, but if I had one, I'd still drive the 951 just like some P car owners still tool around in the 356.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

The base Cayenne is still a 350 hp v8, and it definately faster than an NA 944 is. There is no V6 yet, though there is speculation that it's coming.
It's no longer speculation. The base Cayenne is powered by a 250 HP Volkswagen V6 and goes 0-60 in 9.1 seconds. Coming to a dealer near you in early 2004.

The Cayenne S has the 350 HP Porsche V8.

sean, you seem sore that its faster than a boxster
Not at all - at least, I'm not sore that the Cayenne S and Turbo are fast. Heck, I might like to buy one someday. (Whether Porsche should make more powerful Boxsters is another topic.)

It's impossible to argue with the performance of the Cayenne Turbo. I test drove a Cayenne S and had a blast - very fun to drive.

I like to see Porsche producing unique sports car with the highest performance standards. Which is precisely why the upcoming base Cayenne looks disappointing.

Porsche to Build Slower Cayenne

Quick Reply: Are Cayennes not selling?