Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Cayennes not selling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SidViscous
Keeping in mind water that you guys in Phoenix are having a temporary gas price problem. We aren't having the same thing here.

What you say may be true, but the fact is only time will tell.

It isn't a temporary problem, although we did have a spike from the 'burst pipe'. I also happen to think/been informed that any competent welder could have had that pipe welded up in an hour, much less the week+ that the local price-fixers got. Gas prices aren't going to be getting any better over the long term, since it is getting progressively harder to draw out diminishing reserves. (This is a separate axe I like to grind, thank goodness? that we recently 'acquired' a large gas pump called Iraq.)

Mini-vans are a special case, since they fill a niche that is actually useful, unlike the hordes of non-offroading, 4-wheel drive-cause cause you might drive in the rain one day soccer-mom-mobiles. And it is gonna get worse. Doesn't anyone else notice the insane rebates attached to SUV's these days? $9k+ off of a new Exploder, even more off of some others...that is a discount that gets applied to move merchandise that is gathering dust on the shelves, sort of the Wal-mart approach to car sales. It is a big neon sign that hardly anyone goes out looking for a SUV, although with the astonishing discount and rebate schemes, some late-adopters will still get roped.

But many, many, many are choosing to vote with their wallets against the SUV, and my point about the Cayenne has always been that in shrinking market, where deep discounts and crazy rebates are the only real motivating force, a $90,000 specialty SUV is in deep doo-doo. Porsche got into the pool after GM and Ford had already peed.

Hehe, 2 potty references in one paragraph, you guys got lucky!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:54 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The VW Touareg (tow rig) is the same thing for $10K less. Not that I would buy either of them.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:56 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

water, just for you im gonna do my best to use the worst grammar ever. and you know what? you'll still get what im saying. keep talking from your backside, and i'll keep doing this, just to tick you off. you are a raging lunatic, and i'm sorry that i have to keep reading the garbage you are spouting. this is a public forum, and unlike you i seem to be able to accept the fact that i may read some things on here that i dont like.... like the fact that the cayenne turbo is WAY faster stock than your 951. PERIOD. i'm sorry you're getting bent over as far as gas prices go. thats not the point. the cayenne is the best suv and to call it a mistake on porsche's behalf is dead wrong. i'm just glad you arent running the company, otherwise i'd have nothing to look forward to owning in terms of sports cars yet to be designed. please, if you're going to keep vomiting out the crap you're becoming famous for, at least do it without threatening me. also, putting a cheers sign after that doesnt make you look any cooler.

to sum it up, stop being a bunghole, bunghole.

sorry that had to be said.

my apologies to everyone else on the board.

-Michael- 'can't wait to get a cayenne and do donuts in front of water944t (for touring)'s house'
Old 09-02-2003, 12:08 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Gas is $2.30 in Boston...that ain't great.

And for the record, my 4-cyl 2.5L Jeep gets something like 13-17mpg on the highway...I can't imagine any modern car getting less than that...
Old 09-02-2003, 12:17 AM
GTZ
Instructor

Water, the Cayenne is not even close to the same pool as the Exploder et al. They are in some public swimming hole while the Cayenne is in a little higher class private country club type pool. The point is people that buy Cayennes are not the same as people that buy Exploders. We think like Exploder buyers because we can't imagine spending that much on a SUV, no matter who it's from. Cayenne buyers have the money to spend without even thinking about it.
I know, it's a hard concept for me to grasp as well. I just hope that someday that will be a "skill" I'll need

Randy
Old 09-02-2003, 01:01 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

now let's see here.... 94 super premium hit Cdn $1.049 a litre earlier this week, and (tap, tap, tap on the handy metric calculator) there are about 3.78 litres to a US gallon = Cdn $3.97/ US gallon, but then the Imperial Gallon (LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!) is about 20% more (more tapping) so that means its Cdn $4.77 / Imperial Gallon (more LLQ's) which means.... tap, tap, tap, US$2.86 / US gallon... or US$3.43 / Queens' gallon.....

Geez, C$100 a fill-up! I think I'll walk....
Old 09-02-2003, 01:55 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

$2.30? Your going to the wrong gas stations Trem.

I think it hit like $1.80 in the rest of Mass.

It's maybe a little lower up here.

And Randy Canadian Gas Prices have always been high. It's the price of tax, not the price of gas.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:24 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SidViscous
$2.30? Your going to the wrong gas stations Trem.

I think it hit like $1.80 in the rest of Mass.

It's maybe a little lower up here.

And Randy Canadian Gas Prices have always been high. It's the price of tax, not the price of gas.
Actually, the tax issue is a common misnomer now - the price of gas in Canada is high because it is a virtual monopoly these days- yes the taxes are high, but the refining and oil co profit margins are huge right now. All the big oil co's are sheepishly reporting massive - record quarterly profits. you would be amazed how lock step pricing is up here, prices drift down for a few days and magically, they all - and I mean all within 30 minutes - all rocket back up to the peak uniformly each week.

When oil first hit US$32 / bl earlier this year, we had gas at C$.669 / L pretty much. Since then, oil is pretty stable around US$30-32/ bl and although refinery costs, and gas supplies have moved around, the tax and feedstock costs have been pretty stable. So guess where that extra margin went to....

Some pretty big bonuses being paid out I imagine... gotta read some of those SEC filings...
Old 09-02-2003, 02:53 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by RobbyK
My question is why did they pick an SUV first instead of a high performance sports sedan then lead to an SUV ONCE/IF they got the foothold in a 4 door market?
Answer: Audi Allroad, already being marketed successfully by sister company.

Notice the VW Touareg and Cayenne were launched simultaneously.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:59 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just saw a cayenne with NO badging (not sure where it went) , dirty as hell, pulling a junker on a trailor. It was pretty sweet. He could still spank me while pulling the trailor!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Wait, Audi's a sister company of Porsche? VW owns Audi. I don't think I understand the Allroad-Touareg-Cayenne connection.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

My father fits the mold of the potential Cayenne buyer. He has a 964 as a weekend/track car and has a Mercedes ML 430 as a daily driver/tow vehicle. He checked out the Cayenne S and liked it, but not enough to justify the 25K price difference over what he paid for his ML. I think if the Cayenne S was priced in the 50-55K range, it would sell better.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Give them a few years, they will be down into the 50-55K range, if you want a used one that is.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:12 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally posted by Tremelune
Wait, Audi's a sister company of Porsche? VW owns Audi. I don't think I understand the Allroad-Touareg-Cayenne connection.
VW+Audi+Porsche, now its also Lamborghini+Vector+Bentley. Am I forgetting any?

They used to advertise the connection:

Remember, the 944 started life as an Audi/VW. I think what he meant was Porsche and VW didn't want to build a vehicle that would directly compete with the Allroad. Porsche and VW don't want to compete against each other. These three companies have always been very careful not to tread on each others market share. Some came real close.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

Give them a few years, they will be down into the 50-55K range
In a few years, Cayenne Turbos will be in that range. I think these will have a pretty steep depreciation curve. Since they are daily drivers, miles are going to pile up quickly.

Quick Reply: Are Cayennes not selling?