Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

easy fix for early sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 07:01 PM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking easy fix for early sunroof

Fixed my sunroof today. If your early type sunroof (pre February 1986) is not working properly maybe this can help you.

When I bought my car the sunroof was not working correctly. The roof wouldn't lock/unlock with the ignition in position #1 but would only do so in #2 position.

I've read all the posts and instructions about the sunroof on rennlist and clarks-garage and feared I would need an expert to sort mine out.

Decided to take a look at my sunroof today, hoping I could fix it myself. I removed the center consul to take a look at the switch. Apparently the previous owner had attempted to fix the sunroof before and routed several additional wires between the switch and the sunroof motor. He also added an extra switch under the dash. Don't know what the use of all this was because none of it seemed to work.

I checked the switch wires for continuity and could't find any faults so I removed the additional wiring and switch. Then I checked if the micro-switch between the sunvisers worked. I removed the sunroof and pushed the sunroof switch. With the sunroof removed, the lifting arms should not engage. Nothing happened so the micro-switch is working properly.

The early sunroof has the two limit switches connected at the end of the sunroof cable guide rail, near the sunroof motor. I removed the two limit switches and checked them. No problems there. The two switches are controlled by the sunroof cable, the cable pushes a Little piece of plastic against the switches. It turned out this piece of plastic had come lose from the cable! I removed the sunroof motor assembly and attached the plastic piece back on the end of the cable.

The last thing to do is to adjust the sunroof. Moving the two switches forward makes the retracting arms pull the sunroof tighter against the roof. Moving them backward does the opposite. I checked with a bucket of water if the sunroof would't leak.

This very simple procedure took about two hours and curred all my sunroof problems!
Old 08-31-2003, 10:43 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work!

Quick Reply: easy fix for early sunroof