Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by adrial
Sam,

The issue with the Canton-Mecca filters that I know of is when their spin-on filter is used in the stock location. The anti-drainback valve in the filter fails very quickly. This causes the engine to starve for oil for the first few seconds when the engine is started.

The way that the filter will be mounted in my kit, this will not be an issue. The filter I'm using doesn't even have an anti-drainback valve, there is no need.

--Adrial
Yeah, that is exactly the issue. I had one on my car for a couple years and had to replace the anti-drainback flapper every time I replaced the filter element. By the way, CM states the change interval for the filter element is something like 10K miles. That is complete and utter nonsense, they clog up very, very quickly. The only good thing about their filters when used in the stock location is that you don't have the nasty oil spill from spinning off the filter. And that is about the only good thing about their filters at all in my experience.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:45 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manning,

What do you consider "very, very quickly" ?

How did you determine it was clogged?

--Adrial
Old 08-31-2003, 12:09 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Under 2000 miles is very, very quickly in my book, especially when they say between 7K and 10K in their literature.

And I'm not sure whether they clogged or were merely ineffective. With a Mobil 1, Fram or Purolator filter my oil stays fairly clear and clean right up to the time when I should change my oil. With the CM filter the oil starts to look really dark and dirty after 1500 to 2000 miles. And when I would pull the elements out they would be just nasty with thick chocolate syrup looking goop on them.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:14 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Manning,

Were you using the 4" unit or the 6" ?

I just got the prototype of the canton remote 6" installed, and I'll be putting some miles on it to see how it holds up.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:30 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

The big one, 25-400 series.

Also, the other thing that chapped my *** was that they recommended that you replace the base gasket and cap seal every few thousand miles or so. I think it was like every 3000 miles. So you wind up having to spin the damned housing off anyway. And to make things worse, the stupid base gasket doesn't stay in place very well as you try to wiggle the filter down into place, so you can wind up pinching the gasket as you spin the filter down. Obviously that can lead to a massive oil expulsion.

The last time I ordered replacement parts, the gasket sets (yes you have to order an entire set just to get the damned anti drainback flapper) cost $6.00 and the replacement filter elements were $12.00.

Relocation is a very good idea Adrial, but the CM filters are not the way to go.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:48 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Manning,

Well, like I said, I'm gonna be offering both the CM filters and a generic spin-on filter adapter. It will be up to the buyer. The issues you had with gaskets wont be present, only the problem with the filter media.

If after initial testing, I find the CM filter to be poor quality...I will probably just toss it.

Quick Reply: oil filter removal