Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 02:50 PM
spyderman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter removal

hey,

Ive been dying to ask, is there a way to get the oil filter out of a 944/968, with out getting oil all over everything?, ive tried just about everything. taking the underpan off helps but you still have to clean everything else. ive tried a hole i the top of the filter and some compressed air, but didnt have any luck. the there is the old rags meathod, where you lay a few old rags on the places where it drips, but that still gets pretty messy. does any one have any tricks that would make this EASIER or rather CLEANER.

-Ken
Old 08-29-2003, 03:05 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you get a plastic grocery bag that doesn't have holes in the bottom. Position that around the filter and quick pop the filter into it. Not perfect, but better than the alternative.

Forget punching a hole in the top of the filter if you are using the proper filter. They have backflow flaps so you don't start up too dry on oil.

It is just a dumb designed arrangement so do the best you can with the plastic bag and some shop rags under everything.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:15 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I will be releasing an oil filter relocation kit in the near future.

Pricing around $250 for Rennlisters/PCA and $275 otherwise.

The filter used will use replaceable elements that filter to 8 microns as opposed to the 35-40 microns that standard oil filters filter to.

Yes, its pricey. But the cost is all in the filter, aeroquip hose and adapters and the adapter that gets installed in place of the current oil filter.

The prototype for my kit should be complete by tomorow, then I will begin testing.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:28 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The only foolproof way is to turn the car upside down.

Adrial, I'd like to know more about your kit but $250 seems a little steep
Old 08-29-2003, 03:54 PM
jjjr944
Racer

Spyderman,

There was a post some time back where a lister used a long piece of aluminum foil and bent it into a "v" shape and created a "v" trough where the oil whould run down to the drain pan when the filter was removed.( Of course the belly tray was removed as well) I'll try and find the post and repost later.
sounds like a good idea but have not tried it yet.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:58 PM
jjjr944
Racer

Syderman;

Here's what I found .Good luck.

Whoever originally came up with the idea of using aluminum foil to form a drip channel under the oil filter for changing...

I SALUTE YOU!

I've changed the oil about 15 times on this car and this is the first time I've tried it. Fastest and cleanest change ever!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Did I remember to say Thank You?

A refresher for those that have not tried this: Take a piece of aluminum foil and stuff it under the filter. Bend to form a catch area and a little channel to allow oil to come down past the power steering pump and land neatly in a pan. I will never do it any other way.

On my NA, I ramp the front of the car. Allows for oil, brake, clutch... all in the same shot. I took an 18" x 24" or so piece and fed it up from the front, between the steering pump and the fans/radiator. Then, I just manipulated it back to just under the filter mounting, tucked it up their pretty good, and kinda cupped the foil to run down into a little "V" shape flowing outboard over the power steering pump. I have two cheap 7-liter pans (WalMart $1.97 each). Dropped one under the drain, one under the foil channel, and changed away. It is the FIRST time I have not gone through a half a roll of paper towels under that filter. Oh, yes... I do remove the undertray. Don't believe you can access it without doing so.

So little oil stays on the foil, it turns out to be quite environmentally friendly. Remember to recycle Rennlisters!
Dave Swanson, '88 944 NA, Stone Grey Metallic, Car #662 at Chicago Region DE's
Old 08-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the grocery-bag procedure with photos: Installing the Oil Filter
Old 08-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Danno - that is still the best "green arm" solution anyone has come up with for the car! Works really well!
Old 08-30-2003, 12:50 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Pete,

The average consumer could not build the kit for less than $250. The retail price of just the parts alone is $250, thats not even including the mounting bracket that needs to be fabricated!

The aeroquip fittings get expensive, real quick. The hose/fittings make up half the price of the kit. The filter and adapter that goes in place of the factory filter makes up the other half of the cost.

Believe me...I wish I could make it cheaper.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:12 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Adrial, it sounds like you're using something like a Canton-Mecca housing, one with replaceable filtration element only, not a spin-on filter?

Sam
Old 08-30-2003, 01:36 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Sam Lin
Adrial, it sounds like you're using something like a Canton-Mecca housing, one with replaceable filtration element only, not a spin-on filter?

Sam
I will be offering both, a spin-on and a replaceable cartridge filter (one of the Canon-Mecca units).

The cost for the lines is very similar. The spin-on kit will likely be a bit cheaper than the kit using the cartridge filter.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:12 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only reason I asked is I've heard many cases of Canton-Mecca filters failing? I'm not too sure of the details, whether clogging very quickly due to fine filtration capacity and then going into full bypass, or the bypass valve sticking open somehow - but it's a real concern of mine, it's what's kept me from already installing a C-M.

Sam
Old 08-30-2003, 02:16 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Sam,

The issue with the Canton-Mecca filters that I know of is when their spin-on filter is used in the stock location. The anti-drainback valve in the filter fails very quickly. This causes the engine to starve for oil for the first few seconds when the engine is started.

The way that the filter will be mounted in my kit, this will not be an issue. The filter I'm using doesn't even have an anti-drainback valve, there is no need.

--Adrial
Old 08-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

not that my vast experience of changing my oil once ever means anything but... the first (and only) time i changed my oil/filter i was really worried bout the oil spillage thing so i did the plastic bag trick and everything.. but i had barely any spillage... maybe its cuz i waited like 3 hours for all the oil to drain but even in the bag, no oil. oh well
Old 08-30-2003, 08:29 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for clearing that up Adrial - I'm waiting for your setup!

Sam

Quick Reply: oil filter removal