Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing A/C Clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 04:57 AM
DasRabe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing A/C Clutch??

Just when I thought I'd seen it all.......

Having had the car through most of a hot summer, I finally decided to troubleshoot my non-functional A/C today. Having visisted the forum archives, I verified:

1. Refrigerant Pressure (~ 60lbs.)
2. Low Pressure Switch (verified continuity)
3. A/C switch (works fine)
4. Verified 12v DC at A/C clutch exciter cable when I switch the A/C on.

Then I noticed something..... although the clutch exciter cable was connected, there didn't appear to be a clutch on the front of the compressor!!

Am I on crack here guys or is this some kind of compressor with a "hidden" clutch? What could the exciter wire be attaching to? There's no way this thing fell off, so what kind of hack mechanic goes to the trouble of removing the A/C clutch and then just leaves it off?
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2003, 07:58 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not an expert by any means, but isn't that rusted out looking thing the clutch? I fixed my AC this summer I remember that there was very little spacing there. Have you tried activating the exciter with a jumper cable to see it engages the clutch? You should see it move. I could be wrong though...
Old 08-29-2003, 11:45 AM
DasRabe
Intermediate

I think the rusty area is just the frictional surface of the A/C pulley. On every other A/C system I worked on the clutch should remain motionless until you turn on the A/C. This sends power to the clutch that causes the clutch engage and spin with the compressor. In this case the whole unit spins all the time.

There is also about a post that extends out the end of the compressor and a 1/4" lip at the center that leads me to bleieve that there should be a clutch there.

Compared with this 944 compressor/clutch pic I found on ebay, mine appears to be missing the clutch on the front pulley. Unless it is an internal clutch of some sort. Anyone seen one like this before??
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2003, 11:49 AM
DasRabe
Intermediate

Thought I'd clarify my last post with a new pic so you can see the post and 1/4" lip I'm talking about.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2003, 09:35 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a guy wanted to remove the AC clutch he would first remove that small nut in the pulley center (I bet yours is missing) then probably use a puller (see autozone) to remove the front clutch plate. This the state in which you find your compressor. He could then (assuming the belt is off) pull the inner circlip and slide the remainder of the clutch off of the front of the compressor.

I'm gussing you will need to buy/find a complete clutch (although these compressors are pretty common and you might be able to scrounge a clutch plate). Good luck and be aware there a 3MM tolarance (I think) that needs to be set up between the clutch plate and the clutch (rusty area).
Old 09-04-2003, 10:19 PM
DasRabe
Intermediate

Thanks for the follow up F18. I've looked around and the clutches separate from the compressor are pretty scarce. I do see plenty of compressors complete with clutch for about $200. Since, I don't know the condition of the compressor even after I find a clutch, I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet a get a complete unit to cover all bases.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:34 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I have a compressor that had a cracked mounting bracket. It functioned fine but I replaced it anyway. I will see if I can remove the clutch if you want it.

Christian

Quick Reply: Missing A/C Clutch??