Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, I will change my Avatar!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 12:42 AM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by crazandy
The only thing that teaches responsibility is first hand experience (at least for me).
I'm glad you put that qualifier in there, or else I'd have to call you on it.
Neither I nor anybody I know has ever had a serious accident, a DUI, a drug problem, etc. But I don't drink (and didn't as a teen), don't do drugs (and didn't as a teen), and have always driven responsibly*. I've always been fairly responsible on the important things. It's just a trait some people have, and others don't. But I think it's based more on social factors than parenting or genetics: my sister was somewhat reckless.
And now that she's a conservative mom, she'd want you to change the avatar. (But I don't care if you do.)

*Europeans, who understand that 120 on a highway in a car designed for it is responsible, would call me a responsible driver. American anti-speed activists would not.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:43 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey guys, I plan on doing exactly what I want, so don't worry about that...

I grew up on cheap muscle cars and trust me, I had my stupid moments too, and plenty of them involved high rates of speed in unsafe cars. The main variable is still called "parenting", and I plan on doing what I can to be the best parent I can be. If a kid wants to have sex, you aren't gonna stop them. If a kid wants to drive fast, do drugs, or a myriad of other things that could have catastrophic effects, well... you do what you can do, and deal with the rest after it happens. I think my daughter must be learning something, somewhere, as she hasn't gotten into any trouble yet. At some point, I am sure she probably will. And I will be thre for her. In the meantime, I still think great brakes, great suspension and a great crumble zone with a secure passenger compartment is as good as I can do for a car. The fact that she can go faster than the speed limit in it... well, she can do that in just about anything I buy her.

Regards,
Old 08-29-2003, 01:52 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sh944
Hey guys, I plan on doing exactly what I want, so don't worry about that...

I grew up on cheap muscle cars and trust me, I had my stupid moments too, and plenty of them involved high rates of speed in unsafe cars. The main variable is still called "parenting", and I plan on doing what I can to be the best parent I can be. If a kid wants to have sex, you aren't gonna stop them. If a kid wants to drive fast, do drugs, or a myriad of other things that could have catastrophic effects, well... you do what you can do, and deal with the rest after it happens. I think my daughter must be learning something, somewhere, as she hasn't gotten into any trouble yet. At some point, I am sure she probably will. And I will be thre for her. In the meantime, I still think great brakes, great suspension and a great crumble zone with a secure passenger compartment is as good as I can do for a car. The fact that she can go faster than the speed limit in it... well, she can do that in just about anything I buy her.

Regards,
Well, I'll go out on a limb, I had my license 2 wks and took my 74 Nova, 6cyl, 4 door automatic out to see what it would do. I put the needle out of sight for a few seconds, the speedo registered 120. Does that mean she will? I don't know. I do know that I'm a guy in american society and machoism is a big thing, especially to teens. You all know I've done alot of stupid things, there's plenty I should not have lived through. I'd prefer to have german steele around me tho. I spun my 944 and took a wall in the driver's side, impact speed estimated about 100mph, I was doing 130. I took a tree in the driver's door of my G60 Corrado at 80 or so. I walked both times due to German engineering. I will say that I had to work for my first car and respected it alot more because of that. I know others that had their more cotly car given to them and never cared about them. I gave 300 bucks for it, my dad fronted me the cah and said I had 3 month to pay it back or he would sell it for what I owed, even 5 bucks. I paid it off in a month and a half. The only thing that I didn't buy for my cars, was the manual for my Nova, and the manual for my G60 witch the G60 man. was a Xmas present. I always repected the potential of my cars, and knew their limit. I always did push the limits tho. I've never had a wreck while sober, I never cared about limits when I was drunk. Scott, do the best you can, good luck and love her no matter what, you can't go wrong.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:58 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, the cop told my mom that, if I was in any lesser of a car when I hit that wall, she'd be brining me home in a body bag. This is the cop that saw the whole thing, he was pretty dumbfounded to watch me get out of the car after the wreck. He looked at me for atleast 20-30 seconds before he even told me to stay there,his jaw just hanging. So, if I had the choice, I'd put her in a car that is safe, if she does something stupid, she will most likely live to learn from it.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:41 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jabbadeznuts
Well, Does mine pass?
Did the kitty surrender or get blown away?

Might pass might not.........

Quick Reply: Ok, I will change my Avatar!!