Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne V6 - what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003 | 03:19 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

Porsche is still doing what its known for. Building the best performing cars out there.

With all due respect, I disagree that putting a Volkswagen V6 into a Cayenne / Touareg chassis qualifies. The SUV will make 0-60 in 9.1 seconds. Slowest vehicle Porsche has produced in decades. Towing capacity will be minimal.

Yes, it retains Porsche brakes and suspension. Is that enough these days?

Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I expect Porsche to put Porsche engines in...Porsches.
Old 08-29-2003 | 03:24 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

924. still a porsche.

off course it has porsche designed head and just about all the rest of it is porsche designed. but then again we all own cars that stem from VW.

-Michael-
Old 08-29-2003 | 03:27 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

For the record, the Touareg (?sp?) has the same towing capacity as the Cayenne...listed at 7500 lbs.
Old 08-29-2003 | 04:17 PM
Velvet951
Racer

Remember which came first. VW is a porsche not the other way around. Old man Fredi was just contracted by Hitler to make the VW. Porsches were first, VW second.
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2003 | 01:35 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Thats the bottom line though, VW is in the FAMILY. Its not like Porsche is using Ford motors or something. Audi and VW are owned by Ferdinand's grandchild if im not mistaken. So, we got blood running this whole deal. Whats wrong with a VW stamped engine part? Did we forget the 914 already? Hey, go look at your Boxster and 996 mirrors...i have the same assembly on my new VW GTI. Hey, my 1.8T motor also has the same diverter valve and other parts as the 911 turbo...whoa! 911 turbo is cheap now! Its got a dub part in its heart! Porsche and VW have always swapped parts. Arent the control arms for 944s the same as the VW Fox? OH OH...and lets not forget the VW 928 Rabbit. 928 with a Mk1 Rabbit body. Talk about a sleeper. Vw and Porsche have a long history whether you are aware or not. This is not something new. Porsche made VW. Instead of being a sub-company, Ferdinand gave it off to another family member to run. You know, i normally dont rant on like this. There is soo much on the cayenne forum and here and there, but i never really expected it on the 944 board. I would think we get enough talk about our cars that we would know better than to opinionate with out basis. Everyone dogged the 944s, but even the factory has said it, up til the 964 Turbo, the '44 is the fastest Porsche in terms of driving. Cayenne aint bad. Not everyone wants a V8, not everyone tows 8000lbs. Shoot, most consumers think climbing their curb is off-road. The cayenne is monstrous. It is a lot of car for most consumers though, as all Porsches are. There is no denying that a V6 in it WILL sell though. ****, if people buy SUVS with FRONT WHEEL DRIVE only, they will definitely buy a Cayenne with a V6. You know what, if thats what it takes to get them racing, im all for it. You know what, it doesnt mark the name down at all in my opinion. Cause when they hit the track, they will still be number one. And thats all that matters, that our beloved Porsche is, as it always has been, and will always be number one. Porsche, there is no substitute. Why are they the only manufacturer that has been true with their selling logo. Hey, you can always buy a C2 coupe, gut it out, and boost its power. Sell all the parts you gutted and that takes care of some of the cost. Its as if you paid lower for a CS model! There ya go! Its all cool though, because the best have always been criticized. This is nothing new for Porsche, and they have always come out on top. When this changes i will be upset, but til then, there is no substitute.
Old 08-30-2003 | 04:10 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

In case you didn't know....

The first VW was built in a building that still stands in the Porsche Factory parking lot.

It is a national monument and they can't tear it down. They said that they wanted to tear it down to increase the size of their paint booth, but then the gov't wouldn't let them. They're cramped on space where they are in Zuffenhausen, and that is the reason for the factory in leipzig. Porsche isn't the hugely rich company that everyone thinks that they are, their still trying to get ahead enough to ensure that they'll be around for the next few years. They've already had a few scares in the past, but they've also strayed from the 911 in the past to make a few $$$ also. Look at what we drive. The Cayenne is just an updated versoin of the 944, a money maker.
Old 08-30-2003 | 04:12 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Blue S2
Audi and VW are owned by Ferdinand's grandchild if im not mistaken.
If that's true, then he also owns Lamborghini which is owned by audi... he's one rich guy.

I don't see the problem being associated with VW, they're great cars that will run forever. Like you said, i would own a VW over a ford or chevy any day.
Old 08-30-2003 | 04:50 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Guys - it's just the times we live in...

SUV? What is that? Don't do farming so I don't need a tractor yet and if I ever do, I will buy the old Porsche one.
Old 08-30-2003 | 04:50 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally posted by Blue S2
and lets not forget the VW 928 Rabbit. 928 with a Mk1 Rabbit body. Talk about a sleeper.
At the risk of being pedantic this car was designed by Franco Sbarro.
Neither Porsche nor VW got involved in the design.

Cheers !

And I'm all behind you with the Porsche-VW relationship.
Old 08-30-2003 | 05:33 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

If that's true, then he also owns Lamborghini which is owned by audi... he's one rich guy.
It is true ! Porsche & Piech families are still the major stock holders of VAG;
so they own VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini etc etc. They own VW & Audi & Porsche import business in Austria too.
Ferdinad Piech (son of Louise Porsche) was head of Audi quite recantly. In Porsche case it totally different. Sports car marque own "bulk" products, for examble in Ferraris case it's tottaly different..... They are owned by FIAT !
Old 08-30-2003 | 06:40 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ERAU-944
SHAUN - obviously you're on crack. do the research, who said i wanted to go 100 off road. dont be a moron, you KNOW what i meant. it will beat a boxster on the street, and to boot it has the capability to go off road. i guess you're probably the only idiot that would drive it at 100 off road.

SHAUN (recreational crack cocaine abuser)
Old 08-30-2003 | 08:19 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

Here are highlights of the news release. The Volkswagen engine will make 247 horsepower, so that's about 33 horsepower less than the V6- powered Infinity FX35, for example. The FX35 goes 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, the Cayenne in 9.1 seconds.

ATLANTA, Aug. 27 -- Following the successful worldwide launch of the Porsche Cayenne -- success measured in many ways including two top magazine awards and more than 7,300 Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo V8 models sold in North America to date -- Stuttgart, Germany-based Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche AG today announced the introduction of a third Cayenne model, which will be powered by a six-cylinder engine. It will debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September and subsequently go on sale in Germany and Europe.

Once it is introduced in North America during the first half of 2004, this latest Cayenne model -- named simply Cayenne -- will feature the same standard-setting on- and off-pavement capabilities of its V8-powered siblings while offering its own impressive performance figures. It can accelerate from 0 to 62 mph (0 to 100 km/h) in 9.1 seconds and has a top test track speed of 133 mph (214 km/h).

The Cayenne will have a V6 engine, the first ever offered in a Porsche. Engineers at Porsche further developed the stock engine and modified it for the most severe off-pavement driving conditions. It has four valves per cylinder and produces 247 horsepower (SAE) at 6,000 rpm and 229 lb.-ft. of torque between 2,500 and 5,500 rpm.

Aside from its power source, the Cayenne will offer all of the features first introduced on the Cayenne S and Turbo, including the Porsche Traction Management permanent four-wheel drive system, Porsche Stability Management and air suspension.

This latest addition to the Cayenne line-up will expand Porsche's potential customer base within the high-end SUV segment and will provide more opportunities for Porsche's 204 North American dealers.

Quick Reply: Cayenne V6 - what do you think?