Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne V6 - what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003 | 02:12 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

Porsche is definitely producing a V6 Cayenne with a Volkswagen engine. It's not just a possibility; it's already been announced. Now we learn the real reason that Porsche launched the Cayenne platform with only the "S" and Turbo models; the base model doesn't use a Porsche engine.

Here’s a CNN story:

Porsche to Make Slower Cayenne

“Germany's Porsche, famed for its growling sports cars, said Wednesday it is set to launch a low-powered version of its Cayenne sport/utility vehicle -- one of the slowest models it has produced in decades.”

Old 08-28-2003 | 02:15 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

seems like all the great German car manufacturers are going downhill.

VW is no longer the people's car, they are complicated, trendy, and unreliable (at least electrically if not more), instead of the simply-built, easy-to-work-on, and affordable cars that earned them their reputation (and made their name).

BMW is no longer the "Ultimate Driving Machine". I know someone who has owned 3 series BMWs for a long time. He went to the dealer looking to buy a new one and was told he would have to wait months to get one with a manual transmission. It needed to be ordered, built, and delivered. The ultimate driving machine only comes in automatic? Come on.

Audis are no longer ***** to the wall rally cars. They are big, heavy, and expensive. My uncle used to have an old turbocharged quattro, that thing flew. With a bit of suspension work it handled damn near as well as my 951 S. Have you driven any of the new ones lately?

Porsche makes a SUV. That's all I need to say about that.

And Mercedes, well, they're Mercedes. I guess that hasn't changed.

If I had the money and the skills I'd love to make cars like Porsche was making in the 70s and 80s. They were (and are) cars without compromises. I am proud to own a Porsche, but I don't need the crest on the steering wheel, on the dash, on the shift ****, and everywhere else to remind me (and everyone else) about it. I know because of how it drives. And you better believe I don't want to pay for all of those crests. And heated seats and that stuff just make the cars heavy.

Can you tell that I'm a bit sore about this?
Old 08-28-2003 | 03:09 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

"Audis are no longer ***** to the wall rally cars. They are big, heavy, and expensive. My uncle used to have an old turbocharged quattro, that thing flew. With a bit of suspension work it handled damn near as well as my 951 S. Have you driven any of the new ones lately? "

Friend has an A6. Needed an entirely new transmision after 3500 miles. Audi is actually taking it back under lemon law for all the probelms (been in the shop 3 or 4 times for coil packs)

Turns out the tranny problem was a software issue and VW/AUDI sent techs around to all the dealerships to upgrade that tranny on a variety of VW/Audis. And we all know about the coilpacks.
Old 08-28-2003 | 04:54 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Originally posted by brrt50cal
First Porsche ever to have a V6??? For some reason that doesn't sound right to me...
That doesn't sound right, because it isn't.

Does the Porsche TAG Turbo F1 car from the '80s sound familiar?

Yeah, turbo V6 it was.

(Yeah, yeah...I'm being technical...)
Old 08-28-2003 | 05:48 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ERAU-944
Water: you are an ididot.

heck, the boxster isnt as fast as the cayenne, nor will it go off road.
Who the heck needs to be going 100 while offroad anyways? the speed of this car is without purpose.

SHAUN
Old 08-28-2003 | 08:37 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Epic2112
If I had the money and the skills I'd love to make cars like Porsche was making in the 70s and 80s. They were (and are) cars without compromises. I am proud to own a Porsche, but I don't need the crest on the steering wheel, on the dash, on the shift ****, and everywhere else to remind me (and everyone else) about it. I know because of how it drives. And you better believe I don't want to pay for all of those crests. And heated seats and that stuff just make the cars heavy.

Can you tell that I'm a bit sore about this?
Good thing then that you aren't running Porsche 'cause you'd be in the un-employment line. You see there this little thing called money/sales that keeps companies alive. If you don't make it/them then you don't succeed. Porsche almost took a dive in the 80's. Name me any other successful company in Porsche's category that solely makes sportscars.

Ferrari-no, their more expensive and more exclusive (read fewer)
Lamborghini, Lotus, Aston all fall under Ferrari's guise.

Porsche as a company is a difficult model. Again they need, no have to, diversify to keep afloat. Now they could do it under another title; for example have Porsche then a subsidiary called __________. Porsche sports cars are a definent NICHE market. Niche markets that cater to superfluous areas tend to fade and during hard times will put your company in the grave.
Old 08-28-2003 | 09:18 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

SHAUN - obviously you're on crack. do the research, who said i wanted to go 100 off road. dont be a moron, you KNOW what i meant. it will beat a boxster on the street, and to boot it has the capability to go off road. i guess you're probably the only idiot that would drive it at 100 off road.

compromises? the V6 cayenne is the first i've heard of it. is it necessary? no, porsche wont sell them. thats rediculous, i'd buy a tourag before i bought a v6 cayenne. but for those of you that are slamming porsche for making an suv are still closed minded and highly ignorant. go experience one, i hated it just as much as you all do, but to drive one and see that it is indeed the best SUV out there... that was enough for me. yeah i dont like all the porsche crests in the interior, its still a very good automobile, lots of crests or not. sounds like y'all are getting jealous because its faster than your cars. and i dont just mean in a straight line.

-Michael- trying to keep an open mind.
Old 08-28-2003 | 09:30 AM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I disagree with the comments about Audis. The coil pack fiasco notwithstanding, I love both my 2000 S4 and 2001 A4 Avant. The A4 w/sport package and ESP handles like a dream, and the S4 in stock form is just about the perfect combination of fun and functionality. And when it snows - they just get better.
Old 08-28-2003 | 09:43 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

No need for name-calling guys.

I've tried to keep an open mind about Cayenne, and test drove a Cayenne S. I was really impressed with the performance of the Cayenne S. If I were considering an SUV, gotta admit I would think of Cayenne (and daydream about the Turbo).

With that said, I think putting a Volkswagen V6 in a Cayenne is a mistake. It may sell, and Porsche may reap some short term profit, but it will do no favors for the Porsche brand.

Now we see why Porsche launched Cayenne with the S and Turbo models - for street credibility. Had they launched with the V6, people would have laughed.

I'm not completely convinced that Porsche "needs" Cayenne to remain independent. Porsche has been the world's most profitable auto maker WITHOUT Cayenne. But now, they've bet the farm on the Cayenne strategy - if it doesn't sell, the results could really hurt Porsche.
Old 08-28-2003 | 09:58 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

The initial demand for the Cayanne has saved Porsche profits THIS year. Sales are starting to slip already while the 911 and Boxster are steadily declining. They'll need to V-6 Cayanne to stimulate sale for next year (while trying to compete with the Tourag and X-5). What about the year after that? What new model will save them then.....
Old 08-28-2003 | 10:07 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't agree with the "sell-out" assessment. Sure, Porsche built that stupid SUV to take advantage of a (then) expanding truck market. Sure, putting a VW engine in anything labled (and priced) "Porsche" is going to dilute the name and not be good in the long run.

BUT, Porsche still makes exciting, fast, and expensive sports cars. So they have cup holders and modern conveniences...they are still good looking (and performing) cars. Unfortunately, they don't make a 944 type sporty car for the masses. But I would love to be able to buy a newer 996, or 986 (if I was shorter)!

In other words, when someone thinks "Porsche" today, even after all the SUV bashing, I am sure they are thinking "speed". Think BMW, Audi, VW...and Benz, and "speed" doesn't come to mind first!
Old 08-28-2003 | 10:47 AM
Matt H
Race Director

They do make a 944 type car for the masses, is it labeled Boxster. Pull the window sticker from you Turbo sometime, I think mine was over 35K and in 1987 dollars that is a whole bunch. A new Boxster starts at 42K and a good used 996 can be had for a little more than that.

I cant believe how much people here **** and moan about company strategies. If they dont sell something they wont stay around. I am not a huge SUV fan but if I have to have one it might as well be a Porsche. BTW both models are Cayenne are nice and the Turbo is scary fast for a 5000 lbs vehicle.

Keep in mind that a Porsche is a play toy. It is not (for the VAST majority of owners) a daily driver. It IS the definition of pleasure vehicle. When times arent good people dont buy play toys. It is not just Porsche hurting look at sales of IS300 and similar vehicles.

Now for the rant part: IF YOU DONT LIKE THE CAYENNE THEN DONT BUY ONE. More for the rest of us. A V6 Cayenne will sell for the same reason our holy 944s sold. Because real people can afford them. That means there will be some ragged out Cayennes just like most 944s are. When was the last time you saw a really nice 924 that wasnt an "S"?? Ask this question, I bought an entry level Porsche, why wouldnt some one else? Further a Cayenne is going to look damn good sitting in my garage next year!!!!
Old 08-28-2003 | 11:29 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Just a FYI..I saw a 99 Boxter for 23 grand in the paper yesterday- 35K miles.
The early ones, even though anemic in power, wont have the host of problems I face daily.. aka worry free driving.
Also ..considering a pristine 35K mile 968 Cabrio is in the same price range shows how soft the market is, and how well the "early watercoolers" have kept thier value.
I may be able to get one soon, then I'll travel only thinking about fuel level and oil changes!!

<rant mode on>
Oh, and play nice guys and gals.. Porsche is in business to make money. it takes millions to tool up a new model, and tapping a resource such as the SUV market will keep dealerships open and parts WE NEED on the shelf. Like it or not- SUV's are here to stay. I personally hate them due to blinding headlights through the hatch- something a SUV OWNER will never experience.
<rant mode off>
Old 08-28-2003 | 11:34 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree...if you need an SUV, it might as well have a Porsche pedigree behind it. I just don't need an SUV, and never will!

I wonder what an '02 996 will be going for in 10 years??
Old 08-28-2003 | 12:29 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

seems like porsche is going to start going in circles .. harking back to its vw beginnings. In 50 years that means we'll get some sweet cars.

Quick Reply: Cayenne V6 - what do you think?