Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do I lift my '84??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I feel that the failure related to those points may be a regional issue - places where they use salt in the winter that corrodes the metal nearby.
I always use that point to lift my car and those of my customers and have never had any issue.

I did have to correct a bent floorpan on my car once because someone tried to place their lift pad in the middle of the pan.
Bingo. It is indeed a rust/metal integrity issue and not something a well maintained car has to be worried about. In other words, structurally that point is sound if the metal is in good shape. I have lifted half a dozen+ different 944's from those round lift points probably close to 1000 times...no issues. Incidentally, I did have to repair a bent floorboard on my very first 944 right when I got it home because yup...someone (PO I'd guess) tried to lift it with the pad in the middle of the pan.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Bingo. It is indeed a rust/metal integrity issue and not something a well maintained car has to be worried about. In other words, structurally that point is sound if the metal is in good shape. I have lifted half a dozen+ different 944's from those round lift points probably close to 1000 times...no issues. Incidentally, I did have to repair a bent floorboard on my very first 944 right when I got it home because yup...someone (PO I'd guess) tried to lift it with the pad in the middle of the pan.
No. This is a "that is not a lift point" issue. Sheesh.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gtroth
No. This is a "that is not a lift point" issue. Sheesh.
Before you get snippy and uppity on a forum, maybe YOU should realize you're wrong and that those round donuts are in fact intended to be used with the factory scissor jack. Why would Porsche have stuck a big old donut shaped thing there that the factory jack JUST SO HAPPENS to perfectly fit if that wasnt what it was intended for? It IS a safe lift point so long as your car isnt a rusty POS and you're smart enough to not bend the bottom of the rocker by not being a dunce with the lift pad.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:59 AM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Before you get snippy and uppity on a forum, maybe YOU should realize you're wrong and that those round donuts are in fact intended to be used with the factory scissor jack. Why would Porsche have stuck a big old donut shaped thing there that the factory jack JUST SO HAPPENS to perfectly fit if that wasnt what it was intended for? It IS a safe lift point so long as your car isnt a rusty POS and you're smart enough to not bend the bottom of the rocker by not being a dunce with the lift pad.
I don't understand why you'd give this advice.
Read the manual (or just the relavent page I posted above), search here or on pelican. It's not a lift point. It looks a little like it should fit the factory jack, and that confuses some people. It's certainly not intended for the scissor jack - I don't know where you got that, but we can't allow newcomers to be told that. Come on.

And the proper jack points and lift points are right there, why not use them?

This isn't even a 944 issue. Use the proper lift points on all vehicles.

Quick Reply: Where do I lift my '84??