Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Quick question. Any accountants out there

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003 | 02:10 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

While I may well be wrong about the accountant thing. I highly doubt that Marketing types are responsible for shifting tech support overseas. It's so out of their realm that they have little if nothing to do with it.

But yes you are right about marketing having way to much in the design process, but that's another area.

For those who are interested the article is up. Got chopped up a bit from the original.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11202

If you want the original it's at. http://www.sidv.org/techsupport.doc

When it asks you for network indentification just hit cancel.
Old 08-26-2003 | 02:17 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Quick reply to the CPA types that I know and thier cars:

My Wife-paid for husbands Arena 951
Coworkers cars:
2-Lexus LS
1-Miata (tricked)
1-300ZX TT
3-Corvettes
1-912
1-Jeep Wrangler
2-Accords
1-Viper
2-E55 AMG's

And that's the quick list. My wife, aka CFO per CPA skills, would not be caught dead in a Focus but does seem to like her loaded Honda Odyssey and when the kids are older wants a E series Benz.
Old 08-26-2003 | 02:39 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Offshore tech support can be very effective, as long as the people are properly trained. There's always a trade-off between quality and price, and it largely depends on how much a company values its customers. High-end customers should get better service.

Any company that doesn't at least consider offshore support likely won't last long.
Old 08-26-2003 | 02:45 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon

I disagree, having been in support for 15+ years it takes more than answering the phone. Support can be a very tricky area, even with simple products. It takes more than a third party who is told what the product is, and the issues of culture and geography that I mentioned are important factors as well.

As Isaid at the end of the article. Things like Engineering and Sales would do much better than tech support from offshore companies.

I've also dealt with offshore support more than once, and have never had my problem resolved, I have also heard horror stories from many others.

I've also worked with third party support in the US (on both sides). The resuults were poor to say the least.
Old 08-26-2003 | 02:51 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

So you're "McFeelme Johnson?" LOL

I note the Apu Nahasapeemapetalan (sp???) reference at the end.
Old 08-26-2003 | 03:10 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon

Was a reference to my tech support hell stories I wrote while at SUN, Who's CEO I caleed Gnasher McNealey on account he could eat an apple through a venitian blind.

Someone said I should include some fictional dialouge (as I usually do) but I felt it fell flat without being able to do the accent. But the sign off I felt would go through.

There was some other stuff that got cut by the editor who is an Indian Mystic type.
Old 08-26-2003 | 05:29 PM
GuardsRed
Rennlist Member

I was an Accountant for 15 plus years until this recession hit, I got laid off 3 times in that time span - now changed my career and am a Store Manager - doing Accounting, Retail, Merchasdising (sp), managing people, dealing with customers etc....

My first car was an '86 Tornado Red GTI 5 Speed, 2nd car - 1990 Eagle Talon, 3rd car (with a family) '95 Bonneville SLE, 2002 Hond Ody Minivan and on weekends in summer a '89 944

I never drove or owned a Ford - learned to drive in a 1981 Chevy Chevette

Quick Reply: OT: Quick question. Any accountants out there