Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy Early Model 944?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 09:13 PM
silver000
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy Early Model 944?

Hi there. I am seriously condiering purchasing an 1984 944. I was wondering if the earlier model 944's have many problems. I have been hearing mixed feelings. Some say nothing goes wrong, others say the car is junk. I was wondering what everyone thinks and what problems you have occured. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:15 PM
silver000
4th Gear

PS:

I know there are other treads out on this forum, but I am just seeing if there are any new ideas.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:27 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

i have an 84, no serious problems. the general concensus is that you should get any 944 that has been kept well. as long as its been maintained you shouldn't expect major problems unless you plan on misusing (drag racing) or abusing (off-road excursions/riceifying) your car. the early cars are lighter, the later cars have updated interiors and more weight i like the early cars better. so get the best one you can find and enjoy.

welcome to rennlist,
-Michael-
Old 08-24-2003, 09:37 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Any 944 is far from Junk. If they've been abused they might need more care, but they are still a great car. Keep an eye on the timing belt, upgrade the grounds, change the oil often and you'll have a great car no matter what the use.

I have an 84 that's a daily driver and has only had minor problems.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever driven one? All cars have their quirks/costs, especially of this age group. Don't know much about these cars?.......Rennlist.....your in the right spot! Pre-purchase inspection check by a qualified mechanic who KNOWS these cars can be very important. I just got my early '85 na on the ground running with a not so good, used engine temporarily (until other engine gets rebuilt). It was the first time I've had a chance to really drive one......its not a 993 Twin Turbo.......but I Love it! Drive it, feel it, GET HOOKED.......nothing like the handling/roadability.
Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-24-2003, 11:40 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Have had this discussion more than once. Most people like the one they get.

There are differences.

The early dash is said to be more 80's and "sport car-ish" later models a little more refined. Late models have a "auto tensioner" on the belt setup, they still break if not tended to. Early models have replacable ball joints, later model have to replace entire A arm. Early models have smaller cooling fans. Etc...

I don't think there are too many vehicles in this age braket that hold up as well as these do. Any car of this vintage is going to have some issues with things like seals and anything rubber,no matter how many miles.

If I had it to do again.....I would still get an early. I would look for one with the least number of owners. Maint records,,,, they help, but don't really insure a given part wont fail the next time you start it up.

As is said here many times "get the best one you can afford" "plan on spending $$$ on maint and replacing needed parts"

I paid 3K for an 84 and have spent a little over that in 9 months to get it the way I want it. It always ran when I wanted to drive it, it has never stranded me. It is not my daily driver. It is not a race car.

It is MY PORSCHE 944... and I LOVE IT.

On a side note:
Just had a kid about 6 come out of a store today, him and his dad eyed it as they went to get in their mini van. I stepped outside and invited them to look inside and check it out. This kid will own a sports car some day!!!!!
Old 08-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver000
The guys just about summed it up. It all depends on the starting condition of the car when you get it. I got my 83 just under a year ago, it was in very good shape but unfortunately no written records of maint history but the PO did have the belts and water pump reciently replaced. So far, lets see what have I had to do. Replace the plug wires, plugs, tie rods, oil cooler seals, 2 radiator hoses, sun visors, hood and hatch lift struts, 2 fan thermo switches, fan relay, wiper blades, hood relese cable, 1 sun roof hinge, shift lever, front brakes, overhead coutersy light, rear seat latches, 4 lug nuts(got rid of locks) and installed second tail light bulbs. Guess thats about it. Nother major just alot of little detail things. Oh also fixed the heater control cables and had tires balanced and rotated, fixed driver side door handle. Sounds like alot but really just little stuff. Hey its a 20 year old car with 96K miles on it now. Had 92K when I got it. Sure the hell is alot of fun to drive.
I wouldn't be afraid of an early 944, just check it out real good.
Enjoy,
Bill
Old 08-25-2003, 02:42 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

As 737 said. It's great to see people look at your car, and it's ten years older and a fraction of the price of thiers.

Heard some people talking about mine when I left the 7-11 the other day. Local pub I go to has an outside patio and parking in the same area. Love to sit there and watch people look at her. Try that with a civic.

And mine is far from pristine. Honestly you can't go wrong with a 944. I've said it before and will see it again. It was the epitome of car design. Everything since has been a wannabe.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:57 AM
silver000
4th Gear

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I think that I am getting the idea. These are great well built cars, but they are 20 years old. I guess I have to be prepared to repair certain things due to its age (just like any other car). I am defanitly not worried about any of the minor things such as wiper blades and hoses, but have any of you had any major problems that would cost you hundreds of dollars? And how much is a new water pump for a 944? Thank you for all of your quick replies on this forum. You people make me want to buy a 944 even more now.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:00 AM
silver000
4th Gear

By the way, I live in Vancouver BC and I was wondering if someone could let me have a look at their 944 in the future. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:03 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Water pump will run you $100 to $150.

Installing it will cost you $600 or so.

Only because it means pulling the timing belt, balance belst and so forth., So while your there, replace those, plus any rollers that may need it. Thermo switch. Should pull the oil filter so might as well do an oil change, etc etc etc.

Well worth it though.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:49 AM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Silver000,

I'm in the SF Bay area and you are welcome to come down and drive mine. If you like it enough, you can even drive it home!

944's are all that has been said above. They can be quite reliable for their age, they are engineered incredibly well and they turn heads every day. Yes, they can be expensive to repair but I guess any 1980's car will be, and most of the other brands don't have the strength and potential that the Porsches do (nor the resale value). It has been said to "Buy the newest Porsche you can afford", unless there is a reason that you want an older one. I know that a lot of the guys who have responded like the early 944's. I did not like the ones I test drove. I didn't drive them enough to tell the weight difference, but they were much less comfortable for me to drive (I am 6'4"). Significantly less room between my legs and the steering wheel. I personally also like the interior layout and gauges of the 85.5 and later models.

Much a matter of personal choice so as has been said above drive as many as you can and make your choice from the seat of your pants.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 08-25-2003, 11:03 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think the early 944's are a little quicker and more responsive than the post 85.5 NA's. They are a little lighter especially if you can find one with a manual sunroof and manual steering.
I drove a few early ones when I was shopping years ago and they all felt a little quicker.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:17 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

I think buying an early 944 is an economically sound idea only if you plan on doing some maintainance/repairs yourself. Although the parts are not cheap, you can save lots on labour. Otherwise, it is likely the post-purchase costs will equal or exceed the purchase price within two years or so.
Still, I have a 1983 944, I fix it myself, and love driving it...
Besides, 944 can be considered a "collectible", and if you really want it, nothing else matters!
Stan
Old 08-25-2003, 12:42 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: Buy Early Model 944?

Originally posted by silver000
others say the car is junk.
THat guy probably drives a honda I personally like the look of the older dash. I feel like I am in the eighties I usually cruise around with Huey Luis and the News blasting...

Old cars really have different feels, I love the way my 944 feels.

Just with the addition of the above factory sports seats and a MOMO steering wheel my car feels totally different then my friends '82 Euro 944. I hate how his feels.

As far as maint. The older ones aren't any different then the newer ones. As long as the car hasn't been abused and the maint has been kept up to date you will have a reliable car. (most likely, there are the rare cases)

When I first saw the inside of a 944 it was a newer style. I hated it!! The first time I sat in the car pictured above I new that I must have it.

Quick Reply: Buy Early Model 944?