Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:41 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by austin944
I don't recommend excessive prying or pushing in that area since you may wind up breaking something. Better to get everything disconnected properly and leave the pushing to sturdier things like the suspension.

You may have missed the two bolts on the bottom rear of the airbox; they are hidden by the bracket in your photo. See this diagram, page 35, bolt #12 (looks exactly like the bolts in front):
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...85_KATALOG.pdf
But again you may find it unnecessary to remove the airbox once you have the timing belt cover unbolted.

Be aware that if you remove the accessory belts you will find that one of the two nuts on each of the tensioning struts is reverse-threaded.
It was actually bolt #13 that I couldn't remove. I'll give it another go when I get another warm day here.

Here's another bump for my question: I checked around for the tapping sound, the frequency of the taps goes up relative to the amounts of revs, And it sounded like it wasn't coming from inside the timing belt cover at all. It seemed closer to the cam tower, which leads me to wonder if it's possible it could be valve chatter?
Old 01-02-2015, 12:44 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lifter tick. What weight oil do you run?
Old 01-02-2015, 01:18 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
It was actually bolt #13 that I couldn't remove. I'll give it another go when I get another warm day here.

Here's another bump for my question: I checked around for the tapping sound, the frequency of the taps goes up relative to the amounts of revs, And it sounded like it wasn't coming from inside the timing belt cover at all. It seemed closer to the cam tower, which leads me to wonder if it's possible it could be valve chatter?
Don't worry about the sound is probably nothing to be worry about, anyway I have a 87 944na complete engine with 55k miles ready strapped to a pallet when ever you need it.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:56 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Lifter tick. What weight oil do you run?
I'm running 15w50.

Originally Posted by lart951
Don't worry about the sound is probably nothing to be worry about, anyway I have a 87 944na complete engine with 55k miles ready strapped to a pallet when ever you need it.
Thanks Lart, you've got my back!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:59 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Sounds like you need new lifters, or you could remove them and mark them so remember to put them back in the correct bores, then try putting them inside a pressurized mason jar full of 20w50 oil for about 2 weeks and see if they pump up. If there is sufficient pressure in the jar, they all should. Any that stay soft are no good and need to be replaced before it beats up your camshaft.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:24 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you need new lifters, or you could remove them and mark them so remember to put them back in the correct bores, then try putting them inside a pressurized mason jar full of 20w50 oil for about 2 weeks and see if they pump up. If there is sufficient pressure in the jar, they all should. Any that stay soft are no good and need to be replaced before it beats up your camshaft.
How much is it to replace lifters?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:49 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

I'm gonna give the timing belt cover one more go before we conclude it's the lifters.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:28 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

How much is it to replace lifters?
Depends, not much. 50 bucks for a set from someone here on the list? Plus you'll need to replace the cam tower seal, also not expensive and good PM. You'll need to remove the timing belt though, so you'll need to read up on how to set the timing properly so you dont bend valves.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Depends, not much. 50 bucks for a set from someone here on the list? Plus you'll need to replace the cam tower seal, also not expensive and good PM. You'll need to remove the timing belt though, so you'll need to read up on how to set the timing properly so you dont bend valves.
At the end of the day, I'll have to remove the timing belt after all, might as well use this as an opportunity to learn how and do it while everything is opened up. I was told I need a $600 tool to actually tension the belt? Is there no other way?

What's PM?

I also have a minor leak in the front portion of the cam tower gasket so I'm gonna have to take care of that as well while I'm there.

On the cover though, I know how to remove it, but it appears that the crank pulley and accessory belts are in the way? So I'm not actually removing it completely to check the belts, or am I just moving it enough to see the belts?

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-02-2015, 05:20 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

At the end of the day, I'll have to remove the timing belt after all, might as well use this as an opportunity to learn how and do it while everything is opened up. I was told I need a $600 tool to actually tension the belt? Is there no other way?

What's PM?

I also have a minor leak in the front portion of the cam tower gasket so I'm gonna have to take care of that as well while I'm there.

On the cover though, I know how to remove it, but it appears that the crank pulley and accessory belts are in the way? So I'm not actually removing it completely to check the belts, or am I just moving it enough to see the belts?

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Karl, look again, the front belt covers are 2 piece and do come all the way off. PM = preventative maintenance. You dont need the 600 dollar special tool, I use my bare hands to feel when the tension is correct. I've done the belt job on a 944 motor dozens of times and I know what it supposed to feel like.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:04 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Talking I got it!

Check it out Doug, I finally got the upper cover off!
I lost one bolt that fell unto the skid pan below, but I'll get it later. I've got a short video of what I can see, but here are some pictures for now:

I did have to remove the coolant hose in the process of taking off the cover, and it did drip unto some of the belts, it's alright because I'm changing all of them anyways and the car won't be driven until that's all sorted out.

Or should I run it for a bit and see where the noise is where we think it is.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

I've got a video now.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

I started her up and the sounds were all gone, the squeals and schreeching and the tapping are gone!! All because I removed the top belt cover??
Old 01-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Its possible, but if that is true Karl, that means the belt cover was rubbing on something that was moving...your belts!!! I doubt that is true because 1, it would fail pretty quickly and 2, you'd notice the wear marks on the belt immediately with the cover removed the way you have it. You need to do some investigation, if you are confident that sound is directly related to the cover, than I would install only the top cover and turn the engine over by hand with a bar and look for rubbing, ect. If you dont see any, I'd start the engine and see if maybe what you are hearing isnt just the belt cover vibrating. If still no, it could be the bottom cover, so do the same thing and check for rubbing/buzzing.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:17 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

There was some black powdery-like material caked on the inside of the upper cover; which must be from the belt, the timing belt specifically.

I'm very confident in the sounds location, at least more than when I first started searching blind.

I have a video of it running without the upper cover, I'll post it in a few. But what I think from the video, and using a diagram, there is some slight but noticeable slack in the balance shaft belt that I saw with slight and light throttle blips.

Quick Reply: What is this sound?