Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you prep a 944 for winter hibernation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 05:32 PM
SigAlphAdam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Fishey
I drove my S2 all winter. (on proformance tires) but I think normal tires on it it would be a great winter car... I loved driving mine in snow (around 2-3" max) no traction with LSD.. If I had traction it would be a alsome alsome car...
I agree, 944's are great winter cars. Mine's a daily driver all year long. While the A/C doesn't work in the summer, the heater blows nice and toasty within about 5 minutes of driving in the middle of January!
Old 08-27-2003, 05:54 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, it's August!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive mine daily year round- I agree they are great in snow/ adverse weather handling.

My suggestion is to put the car on blocks and remove the wheels. add some smaller blocks to compress springs/ shocks to a "normal" stance. stack wheels on floor outside rim up.
We have done this with several cars and they are fresh in spring.

Ditto on the humidity absorbing material Harry. Bubble Boy.. They are nice but expensive, and dont address flatspots on tires.

I may actually be doing this - this year so I've been doing a little reading on the subject. Start it once or twice a month and drive it so the tires rotate and it wont settle in the same spot on the tire. Make sure it fully warms up (1/2 hour drive) That also keeps the oil/ trans/ antifreeze moving.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:24 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I REALLY don't want to think of this yet-but since I always store mine, a few thoughts. I don't raise the car, but those who do only go up a little to take some weight off the suspension. I did get some heavier foam-like used in machine shops for workers who stand all day-and placed it under the wheels to prevent flat spotting. Definitely use mothballs in the car, tail pipe and engine-keeps out the critters. I use a trickle charger with the battery and don't have problems-I also keep the fluids in the car and change them in the spring.

I would also recommend visiting every so often to let her know she's wanted. I have a car cover and keep it on, also leave the doors a bit opened so as not to compress the rubber weather strips.

Now lets not bring up winter for a couple of more months-OK?????
Old 08-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Fishguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter does come early here in Alaska, and I'm heading off for college, I wont have time to get it ready for storage except today and tomorrow, so I gotta prep it now for winter

sorry to make you guys think of the cold when its still months away

lesse, we should be getting snow by mid october up here.... scary, huh?

not much summer love time
but we are at sea level, so our cars get some nice dense air, especially when it starts getting a bit chilly come mid-late september

alright, thanks a bunch guys, i think i have a good plan to get this thing ready, and i have most of the stuff, and changed the oil already, so i'm that much closer to finished
Old 08-27-2003, 06:46 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

OK, I with that I really can't complain about our Maine winters-good luck and a lot of fun in College.

Quick Reply: How do you prep a 944 for winter hibernation?