Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

You're not quite understanding how the parts interact.

Here's a picture I found on a google images search. Those two gears are the actual oil pump part - that gear set is upside down in the pic so you can see them... the side you see goes against the inside of the aluminum pump housing. The oil only goes between the sets of teeth, no where else. There is no oil interaction between the oil pump drive sleeve (which has the spline on it) and the inner gear.

As you say, "if air was getting in there" it couldn't get inside the gear set... The oil you see coming out and making a mess is residual oil that's supposed to drain back into the oil pan. Because your front seal is old and brittle, and because the oil pump drive sleeve has a groove, a small percent of the oil draining back into the pan is working its way past the seal and making a mess.

What you need to do is take out the OPRV and crank the engine over. If not much oil is coming out of the hole, then there is a problem on the suction-side of the oil pump system - which is the oil pickup tube and the passage way between the girdle and the block. If the pump is really "pumping air", then dollars to donuts it's a crack oil pickup tube. Of course out-of-time balance shafts or bad engine mounts can contribute to the pickup tube cracking, but I see no reason why the tube *can't* crack even if those are good.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha!! Thank you! I think tomorrow I'm now going to try to remove the oil pump. Looks like I'll have to at least lower the pan somewhat.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

If you're going to remove the pan, check that oil pickup tube first...

Support the engine from the top, remove the cross member, and then you can remove the oil pan.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Going to take longer than I really have to spend doing this, but sage advice.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:08 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Before you pull the oil pump I would check the pickup and the pickup seal. My experience is that its not that likely that the problem is the oil pump.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

To get at the tube I have to pull the pan. At that point there is no point to not pulling the pump. It's gonna be such a pita it's not even funny. I'm fighting the idea of dropping the pan. I think if I can loosen the pan enough to get the pump off I can at least check visually to see the tube is cracked. My bet is that there is a bad seal against the block on the back side of the pump.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Ok! Got an oil pump from a buddy. When we were pulling the pulleys from the front of the motor, I noticed that there was another washer on that oil pump that was not previously noticed on mine. I don't specifically remember if that concave washer was inside the drive sleeve or not. As it is I am beginning to remember hearing that the incorrect installation or lack thereof can cause oil pressure issues. I did not think this to be a problem on mine, as I don't recall it being there when I took it apart last year and it has run without oil pressure issues to this point.

Which brings me to this question. Could this be the issue?

Also since last night I have seems to misplaced same. Major face palm!!! I hope it's still in his driveway or somewhere in the bowls of my trunk. Otherwise I'm going to be pulling the pan and pump for absolutely no reason.

If it doesn't turn does anyone happen to have one??
Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin Baker
Ok! Got an oil pump from a buddy. When we were pulling the pulleys from the front of the motor, I noticed that there was another washer on that oil pump that was not previously noticed on mine. I don't specifically remember if that concave washer was inside the drive sleeve or not. As it is I am beginning to remember hearing that the incorrect installation or lack thereof can cause oil pressure issues. I did not think this to be a problem on mine, as I don't recall it being there when I took it apart last year and it has run without oil pressure issues to this point.

Which brings me to this question. Could this be the issue?

Also since last night I have seems to misplaced same. Major face palm!!! I hope it's still in his driveway or somewhere in the bowls of my trunk. Otherwise I'm going to be pulling the pan and pump for absolutely no reason.

If it doesn't turn does anyone happen to have one??
For sure the big washer is critical for oil pressure. It's friction of the pump drive sleeve and o ring against the washer that rotates the pump. If yours was missing could be your problem
Old 12-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

So it seems the "missing link" is actually a green o-ring. I'd bet dollars to donuts I have one in the tool box. According to the Porsche dealer I talked to it's a 28x2.58 mm I ring.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:25 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

......and make sure to install the parts in the correct order.
Shoulder OUT on the crank shaft belt pulley.

Name:  CamGear+belt+collar+position13687249811410352735.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  130.5 KB

GL
J_AZ
Old 12-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Yup! I'm going to go back together with it. I know for a fact that I ring was not there when I took it apart Saturday. Worst case if I still have priming pressure issues I'll drop the pan. May not get home in time today to work on it but tommorow
Old 12-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Well this sucks!

I was hoping against hope that my problem was as simple as a lack or torque or missing o ring. Nope!

Next step is to lower the pan enough to remove the pump, maybe visually inspect the pick up tube.

If I don't see any visual confirmation of lack of seal between the pump and block, it's going to be a big disappointment. Will also mean completely removing the pan, and re sealing the girdle unless there is obvious cracking on the pick ip tube.

So! Wish me luck!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Good luck.

Just to verify, you have taken out the OPRV and tried cranking it over to see if oil comes out of the hole?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:41 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

No.

I'll do that in the am. If there is oil at the Oprv while cranking??
Old 12-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

If oil is copiously squirting out, then you have a problem after the oil pump. If nothing comes out, or if its just a dribble, then its the pump or something earlier.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure woes