Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Turbo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 04:16 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep - you were right there.... mine were leaking and you have to do all of what you did to be able to take out the lower bolt for the AOS. It pulls right off, a couple of cents worth of seals, and back on again Also, I think it is trivial at this point to remove the x-over pipe. It's already unbolted from the turbo, just have a few bolts to remove the other end from exhaust manifolds. Advantage is getting those d@mned crush rings replaced. I can't get position or leverage on the turbo inlet side of the x-over to get those rings out while it is in the car.

Name:  AOS_leak_back.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  112.8 KB

Here's a couple other WYIT (while you're in there) ideas: Send your fuel injectors to witchunter - I did this and it's worth every penny. Lastly, if you ever want to put an aftermarket down pipe from the turbo to the exhaust, you've got it all in your hands. I put in the fabspeed stainless downpipe (which bolts back to factory exhaust), and doing the rest of the exhaust in 2015. Downpipe is the only part that requires doing all the labor from the top.

Name:  witchHunter.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  223.0 KB

Name:  fabspeed.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  96.1 KB
Old 01-09-2015, 02:12 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

raleighbahn,

nice shiny looking downpipe and glad to see you eat healthy... whole foods .. haha.

crap about the aos but if we yank the turbo again (before the nuts/bolts rust weld together) the extraction should be much much easier.

i am looking at a/c delete so will install a bracket.

the injectors on the 944 don't seem worth flowing... pretty old and same ones as on my 964 i think... will test em out.

i forgot to clean the isv and the idle is hunting a little

on the way home, the shifter let go of the gear selector so i'll do the grind off and replace with m10 x 50mm bolt with nyloc nut... was a little dramatic until i pulled the shifter boot off and was able to make my gear selections directly from the shaft...

so many little things to know. thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo replacement