Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ambitious, But Rubbish. A Tell Tale Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 AM
Johnboy4444
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ambitious, But Rubbish. A Tell Tale Thread

So I was inspired the other day after spending some time working on the 86, after which I went inside and enjoyed a DVR'd episode of Top Gear "Ambitious but Rubbish", to begin a thread for storytelling of failed repairs, backfired ideas, treacherous purchases, or just general DIY and wrenching Stories that make you wonder why you tried it in the first place. So let the embarrassment begin!

I'll of course begin,
I got a burr up my rear end one fine summer day to do a full LED conversion on the car. So I began such a journey with a very large order from an online supplier. Excited to begin when I received the bulbs, I immediately began my work. Some four plus hours later, I had four non-working bulbs, two blown fuses, and a side marker socket that the ground wire decided it was tired of being in one piece. And that was just the outside, dash lights were another story. So I decided it best to order all new outside lenses/sockets, a while later these arrived and I once again set about my work. Some hours later I had all lights back in working order! Proud of my work I called it a job well done. Until two days later when some rain made it obvious that I had put a decent crack in the hatch latch drain line among some other rear end lighting seals. So back to the LED supplier it was to order replacements for the utterly ruined bulbs floating in my new taillight lenses, and some seals from trusted 944 sources, and, after a third time fiddling with this project it finally came to completion.

Replacing all the bulbs in a 27-year-old car with new tech at once and expecting a good first try result, Ambitious, but Rubbish.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

rubbish is a snotty, British term for garbage, but, either word often applies... i'm not sure the word is strong enough to describe what often passes for rather ambitious > ill-advised > crazy > dude that's totally insane things that have been, and continue to be attempted on this forum....

just because you can doesn't grant automatic exemption from 'Jane you ignorant ****' status.

a footnote to anyone who might dare follow in his footsteps on the 'what drove him to destroy his car?' theme is illustrated here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...h-swap-12.html

and....

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...h-swap-14.html

Last edited by odurandina; 12-01-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

You are obsessed with this dash swap.

Originally Posted by Po924S
Odurandina.... just shut up already.
The best quote of that thread.

Last edited by Voith; 12-01-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:13 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Last edited by odurandina; 12-02-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:40 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

edit;

will people come forward and confess about what they've done?

the most egregious acts are quickly forgotten because the guilty ones have long, since left the forums.

even the mod who made a cottage industry out of 'hurty-feelers' got nabbed.

Originally Posted by Randy V
You know, it almost seems that Gretch got some hurty feelers when we provided some feedback on his moderating style last week and he decided to unstick that thread to 'punish' us.

Say it ain't so!

that's right Voith; no more Kool-Aid drinking or crying over anyone else's hurty-feelers. call garbage what it is... post a project; and we expect to see your bikini-clad Slovakian cousins draped over the car in the not-distant future..... whether it's your car, my car, VR Alexander's adventures, and everyone else's... it all becomes property of the Rennlist God's (for half the automotive world to see)... sometimes, these incidents serve as warning to anyone who might follow. *(see first 6 posts++; https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...lexander.html)

we know the 944 is a challenging car own over a long time period. and we've seen too many 944 guys come and go on this forum, despite loving their cars as much as the rest of us... the cars aren't given up voluntarily, in most cases either;

quite the contrary: the cars are usually ripped from their cold dead hands.

i posted a thread a couple of years ago asking for people to contribute their ideas about what cars to choose for daily driving, improving, and full restorations.... and also: what cars not to restore. https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...e-restore.html

going a bit further with 'ambitious but rubbish' is good imo, because mistakes can put owners (who're already quite deep in) into jeopardy as to how soon/or even if they'll drive their cars again.... what often finally stops them from throwing more money into their cars are interventions from wives, girlfriends, or other real world things.

we all have done stupid things to our cars at one time or another. i started a new paint job in my '85 BGN in 1988, only to end up selling a nice car to a friend for too little money – only to see him take off with my car (w/ my gf still in it) never to be seen again.

in 1994, forgot to put oil in my 944S, and blew up a perfectly good engine.

with my 968, with which i was driving 25~30 k miles (all over the country) each year, the mistake i made was in attempting to keep the oem engine going after it reached it's second wave of extremely expensive repairs, and thus violating the 'Principle of Diminishing Marginal Productivity/a.k.a.: the Law of Diminishing Returns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns ....
(i also, still can't find a dye that will change my carpets to the right deep shade of black and not flake off).

the road to ruin is paved in good intentions.... in the case of Marcquito's ride, what lies beneath all the glitter, self-aggrandizement, spray painted torque tube and tranny, and 17 pages of useless dribble – is this:

1. he expanded a medium-sized, fairly straightforward dash swap project into something beyond his technical ability, rather than focusing on the task at hand: (which was to reconfigure, repair, and update the wiring harness for the new dash, and install the new dash).

2. pissing in his shorts, and retreating when it got time to put his big boy pants on.

3. not confessing his sins.

it's been 7 and a half years. in the first year or 2, we gave him the benefit of the doubt. but the signs were there not long after he started.... sweep dirt over the accolades if you want; the bottom line is; another owner started a half baked project without a plan, he took a fairly straightforward dash swap, (that should have been treated as a unique part of a greater whole), expended it into a big resto – and destroyed a perfectly good, early '80s PORSCHE....

next, the cavalcade of posters slobbering over a sinking fail-boat was not only pathetic, it was embarrassing.

WHAT? it's a 944 and not a 911.... SO MARCQUITO GETS A PASS??

more like it serves as a fine example of nearly exactly what the op is alluding to.... it's a common situation in the enthusiast car world....

is it rude to call attention to it?

read the thread. he goaded us in, pissed his pants and ran away.

we do stupid stuff. painful as it is to say, to do stuff the proper way, often requires deep pockets or a damn solid plan – and *****. i fell into the trap of wanting to go big the first time, and the result is - i haven't driven my 968 much during the past year.... in the case of my v8, spending a lot on my first swap wasn't the best way to get back on the road.... it was ok to include the nice transmission, but i would have reached the end a lot sooner if i had chosen a 5.3 truck motor for Eric to install (as Xschop so often suggests) – before moving up to the big engine.

read Marcquito's thread and see how it takes years for my criticism to mount.... people who destroy their 944s, exacerbate the bottom feeder/swap meet concept here – which kind of pisses me off. it's good that this kind of stuff isn't often repeated.... but there's plenty of other dumb stuff we do.

if we try to conceal our bad project ideas that ended, well, bad or fail to cite others' – then, we're reduced to a forum of Kool-Aid drinkers.

we should be very careful not to do something that ends up taking our cars off the road for extended periods, or worse.

if you post it here for the good. be prepared for brutal honesty (or even worse: E-****).

situations similar to Marcquito's 944 hurty-feelers are a common topic on RLOT forums....

*f_ck; that's nothing; you should see my JFK assassination and legendary Fema Camp thread/s (GEEBUS)!!

this is where i'm coming from with my harsh criticism and people sweeping the obvious under the rug.

but, it's always fun to be pointing fingers... and saying "there goes the bad guy..."

Last edited by odurandina; 12-02-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
edit;

even the mod who made a cottage industry out of 'hurty-feelers' got nabbed.

that's right Voith; enough with drinking the spiked Kool-Aid and crying over Marcquito's hurty-feelers.... post a car project on a public forum, you post your bikini-clad Slovakian cousins draped over the cars..... or prepare to get it right between the eyes; good stuff is good, garbage is garbage. that goes for your projects, my ****, and everyone elses; (for better or worse, our personal growth, becomes Rennlist's intellectual property for half the world to see);

the 944 is a challenging car to own, drive and improve over a long time period. it's safe to say, we've seen too many 944 guys come and go on this forum, despite loving their cars as much as the rest of us.... i posted a thread a couple of years ago asking for people to contribute their ideas about what cars to choose for daily driving, improving, and full restorations.... and probably more importantly: what cars not to restore.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...e-restore.html

going a bit further with 'ambitious but rubbish' is a good one, because mistakes can put owners (who're already quite deep in) into jeopardy about how soon/or even if they'll drive their cars again.... what often finally stops them from throwing more money into their cars are interventions from wives, girlfriends, or other real world things.

we all have done stupid things to our cars at one time or another. i started a new paint job in my '85 BGN in 1988, only to end up selling a nice car to a friend for too little money – only to see him take off with my gf still in the car never to be seen again.

in 1994, forgot to put oil in my 944S, and blew up a perfectly good engine.

with my 968, with which i was driving 25~30 k miles (all over the country) each year, the mistake i made was in attempting to keep the oem engine going after it reached it's second wave of extremely expensive repairs, and thus violating the 'Principle of Diminishing Marginal Productivity/a.k.a.: the Law of Diminishing Returns. (i also, still can't find a dye that will change my carpets to the right stage of black and not flake off).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

the road to ruin is paved in good intentions.... in the case of Marcquito's ride, what lies beneath all the glitter, self-aggrandizement, spray painted torque tube and tranny, and what amounts to little more than 17 pages of useless dribble.... and watching the reality of a Porsche totally destroyed unfold, is this:

1. he expanded a medium-sized, fairly straightforward dash swap project into something beyond his technical ability, rather than focusing on the task at hand: (which was to reconfigure, repair, and update the wiring harness for the new dash, and install the new dash).

2. pissing in his shorts, and retreating when it got time to put his big boy pants on.

3. not admitting he sucks.

it's been 7 and a half years. in the first year or 2, we gave him the benefit of the doubt. but the signs were there not long after he started.... sweep dirt over the accolades all you want; but, the bottom line is; another owner started a half baked project without a plan, and destroyed a perfectly good, early PORSCHE 944....

yeah!! it says Porsche on the back. does he get a pass just because it's a 944 and not a 911?

he took a fairly straightforward dash swap, (that should have been closed off as a unique part of a greater whole) and expanded it into a partial resto...... it serves as a good example of nearly exactly what the op is alluding to, and a common situation in the enthusiast car world....

we do stupid stuff to our cars.....

i think to do stuff the proper way in the real world, often requires deep pockets. i fell into the trap of wanting to go big the first time, and the result is - i haven't driven my 968 much during the past year.... in the case of my v8, spending $42,000 wasn't the way to get back on the road.... it was a good idea to include the nice transmission, but i would have reached the end a lot sooner if i had chosen a 5.3 truck motor for Eric to install (as Xschop so often suggests) – before moving up to the big engine.

read Marcquito's thread and see how it takes years for my criticism to mount.... people who destroy their 944s, exacerbate the bottom feeder/swap meet concept here – which kind of pisses me off. it's good that this kind of stuff isn't often repeated.... but there's plenty of other dumb stuff we do.

if we try to conceal our bad ideas, or fail to call out others', it's not helpful.

we should be very careful not to do something that ends up taking our cars off the road for extended periods, or worse.

****, you post it here for the good. be prepared for brutal honesty.

situations similar to Marcquito's 944 hurty-feelers are a common topic on RLOT forums....

*f_ck; that's nothing; you should see my JFK assassination and legendary Fema Camp thread/s (GEEBUS)!!

this is where i'm coming from with my harsh criticism and people sweeping the obvious under the rug.

but, it's always fun to be pointing fingers... and saying "there goes the bad guy..."

Scarface (5/8) Movie CLIP - Say Goodnight to the Bad Guy (1983) HD - YouTube

I could understand your ranting if you were the one funding all these failed projects. However you only fund your project that is not finished even though you are all over the place with GMV8-944 posts for the past 6 years and on top of that, you don't have ANY experience on the subject. It all comes from your theory and imagination. In some theological circles, these virtues are considered very valuable however in car technical discussions, value of blurting stupidity is exactly zero.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

I love these cars and I too don't appreciate much when nice projects are killed off. I enjoyed every post from that mazda guy (I think his name is Brian) on mazda forum that attempted to supercharge 944. His project was awesome. I was disappointed when he abandoned it. So what? It was his decision and thats it. The technical knowledge in his thread is amazing and I am grateful he shared it even though he didn't finish.

What Technical knowledge have you shared in your 22000+ posts? My girlfriend could write more useful stuff on car forum than you and she hates car related stuff.

Btw: I like slovakian girls when I go to slovakia from time to time, but here in Slovenia girls are nicer and I can even understand them since they speak in my language.

Stop feeding on others misery and show us how it is done - if you can. (which I somehow doubt)
Old 12-02-2014, 04:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

recall in my last post... I didn't require the new engine go in until this past April.... in that same month, I got sent to Orlando for 3 months, and got a free (real VW Bug) to drive around until August.... then I went home to New England and immediately, sent the car down to get the fresh motor..... in my first 'what I wanna do with my car' thread posted in October 2009, I stated that if my current engine were ever to go bad, rather than replacing it, i'd just change to V8 power....

well, with the stout 3.0 968 engine, it took me just shy of 5 years to get there.... i'm doing what I said i'd do in 2009. never changed the narrative. it was always, 'as soon as this engine goes bad.' .....the bottom end never did. but the rest of it had indeed become silly expensive.... it was time to take care of a bunch more things, so that was it....

no. not planning on wrenching it in myself. not interested...... like how most guys do it in the post-modern word: I work at the silversmith shop doing what I do – and pay the blacksmith to do what he does. been there and done that with the motor swapping 3 engines in my '70s and '80s carbureted v8 cars. no need to go further, and i'll get my fair share of wrenching in keeping up the brakes, suspension, changing the oil, keeping sure there's no fuel or oil leeks, all the filters changed and keeping the body and inside the car tip top. that's plenty.

adding:

btw, the 944 forums aren't really discussion forums anymore. the discussion forums ended a few years ago....

sad to see hardly any project threads or (those types of threads) with long discussions posted anymore.... we used to have general discussions with scores of posts, a wide range of input, and lots of unique and diverse perspectives.

not anymore. a few years ago, this thread would have had 3 dozen confession by now,
and a few dozen more follow up comments and 'remember that guy who...' gossip.

now all it is,

is; 'my car's broke and I can't fix it....' or the never ending junk car swap meet.

Last edited by odurandina; 12-02-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:12 PM
drive135mph
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

od: I think the substance of Voith's post was more that failure is a necessary part of innovating and keeping this hobby alive, and that this forum is a place to share those experiences. Do you genuinely disagree with that? If guys on this forum get their kicks by strapping a leaf blower to the hood of their 968, that's fine because eventually that kind of shenanigan will give way to the vortec blower and alike.

I have spent the last 6 years working with customers on their car projects, of all kinds, as my full time profession. There is ALWAYS a really dark time before the dawn. The moment where some mid life crisis is in 50 plastic bins and look like it's never going to go back together or when a "good idea at the time" paints a highway with cast iron and oil. After that, the owner always walks with a good understanding of their craft, and very often they learn their lessons, sell the wrong parts they've bought, post their mistakes and build a better solution.

This is not the fireworks forum: If folks do it wrong, run out of money, build an an unbalanced rig, or blow a motor sky high, nothing serious comes of it, so why stop them?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

great post... and much appreciated.

yes, I recognize that fact, and have cited some of your points more than a few times over the past 6 years.

also, you know some people aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about.

you should hear me when the surf is less than 10 feet and epic (or the wind's blowing onshore) on a surf trip.

you can only gather so many oysters and chase crabs getting sunburnt before going full Debbie Downer.

Originally Posted by odurandina
people who destroy their 944s, exacerbate the bottom feeder/swap meet concept here – which kind of pisses me off.

not to mention, with this topic already on life-support, (GEEBUS someone posted a general discussion thread)

someone has to play agitator.

Quick Reply: Ambitious, But Rubbish. A Tell Tale Thread