Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 oil pressure(or lack of!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 10:27 AM
mick944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 oil pressure(or lack of!)

Was wondering if anyone has experience with this issue.I fired up my 83' 944 last night(it has been inactive for a while) and noticed the oil light did not go out and then my attention went to the oil pressure gauge and it was showing no pressure.I immediately shut it down.The last time I drove it ,it ran great(recent rebuild after time belt jumped some teeth-that is another topic).I then tried again and the light went out and the oil pressure went up to where it had been normally(4 ish on the bar).It appeared to me that the oil pump had lost prime.Is this possible?I drove a little around town and it ran fine.I even fired it up before I went to work today to see if sitting overnight would cause the same scenario but it fired up with good pressure.Was this an isolated glitch or is this the warning for a bad oil pump?
Old 08-21-2003, 10:58 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am assuming a Porsche oil filter. Make sure it is either Mahle, or Porsche. Some name brands don't do a good job of keeping the oil in the filter-since ours are upside down.

I have heard of the pump losing prime, and cracked pick-up tubes causing low oil pressure. I have also heard of the pump needing to be re-sealed to the block. You might want to do an archive search for those topics.

More than likely, the oil pressure relief valve has some build-up on it. A "stuck" relief valve will do this, or cause there to be no pressure for like 15 seconds on initial start. I would start there. Do a search, you will get a bunch of info on this topic. The valve is located in the oil cooler housing below the oil filter. It's an easy fix-
Old 08-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil pressure sender unit could have just died. ( i know mine is bad or the ground wire is bad)
Old 08-21-2003, 04:25 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a low oil pressure issue at start up and suspected a cracked pickup tube. After I dropped the front suspension and the oil pan, I found that a seal was missing at the end of the pickup tube. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ragon+products Once I get a torque wrench cpable of 3 ft. lbs, I will put everything back together and let everyone know if it solved the problem.

Quick Reply: 944 oil pressure(or lack of!)