Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference sensor manufacturer options - quality?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 05:08 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
^^^ Yep.
I'm sure most of you place some value on your time as well.
For $57 a pop for a genuine Bosch sensor, it is not worth my time, energy, or aggravation to be dicking around with something else that *might* work.
Lots of consumers out there think they should get caviar at tuna fish prices.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

This FAE issue should be a sticky.

FAE & all our parts suppliers should be aware tnat a certain percentage of product is incorrectly manufactured.

Lots of consumers are trying to these cars alive at limited budgets; otherwise, many more would be in the dumpster. We all understand the concept of price markups, and often the very same part can be had for a significant reduction. There are also times when aftermarket works just fine or is even an upgrade.

They are simple magnetic pickups. Through official channels, they are $200 EACH up here. The ones tempest411 is referring to aren’t even the ‘proper’ ones for our car; they are for a BMW. Whoever buys them is therefore trying to “get caviar at tuna fish prices”.

I’m curious if you’d purchase the real ones. from Porsche, rather than the ‘incorrect’ BMW application at significant reduction?

Old 05-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

This FAE issue should be a sticky.

FAE & all our parts suppliers should be aware tnat a certain percentage of product is incorrectly manufactured.

Lots of consumers are trying to keep these cars alive at limited budgets; otherwise, many more would be in the dumpster. We all understand the concept of price markups, and often the very same part can be had for a significant reduction. There are also times when aftermarket works just fine or is even an upgrade.

They are simple magnetic pickups. Through official channels, they are $200 EACH up here. The ones tempest411 is referring to aren’t even the ‘proper’ ones for our car; they are for a BMW. Whoever buys them is therefore trying to “get caviar at tuna fish prices”.

I’m curious if you’d purchase the real ones, from Porsche, rather than the ‘incorrect’ BMW application at significant reduction?

Old 05-13-2018, 10:14 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
...Lots of consumers are trying to keep these cars alive at limited budgets...
...and herein lies the problem. It always amazes me where folk get the idea that Porsche ownership is cheap and aftermarket companies like FAE, URO, etc will always produce inferior parts to cater to those folk. There is always a good reason why a copy is cheaper than the original part.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:12 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

When did I suggest the BMW ones? Though, as long as they were Bosch they are a viable alternative. You can always re-terminate the ends to match the lengths.

There's a difference between being cheap and looking for the best value. When quality is sacrificed, that's being cheap.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Can anyone confirm how long the factory Bosch sensors are and how much longer the BMW Bosch sensors that work are?
Old 05-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that there are Bosch sensors available (from Bosch) that are the exact same as the Bosch ones that Porsche sells. I paid around $300 for a "Porsche" sensor a while back (maybe 07).

I was getting an intermittent stall out and no start situation that kept coming back to the reference sensor. Roger Tyson at 928s R Us sells lots of parts, both factory and 'supplier'. The sensor in the 944 is the same as one in the 928. It was ~$75. Genuine Bosch. Exact same size as the one that came out of the car.

I fully understand that this is not a cheap car to own. But paying 4x the price for a Bosch sensor, just so it can come in a box marked "Porsche" is not something I'm willing to do.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:57 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that there are Bosch sensors available (from Bosch) that are the exact same as the Bosch ones that Porsche sells....
Only ones I’ve ever heard of on any forums are genuine Porsche (Bosch) which are the correct length or genuine BMW (Bosch) which work but they are longer so you need to loop the excess cable. I also have a genuine Jaguar (Bosch) part number in my notes from a while ago that someone said also worked and was the correct length, idk though, Jag# DBC2144.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:32 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by MAGK944
...and herein lies the problem. It always amazes me where folk get the idea that Porsche ownership is cheap
Wow... this hints at elitism! Is the suggestion that this hobby is only for the rich?

If that were the case, I doubt there would be many still around today--esp the 944 series.

I'd argue that car ownership in general isn't cheap, and old-car ownership less so. Some of our parts are cheaper than that of a brand new Honda; it's all relative. In any case, I agree that there's a difference between value and just plain skimping.

I originally purchased the FAE as a choice between proper length (of cable) vs BMW length; the original Porsche spec being out of my budget. Low and behold, the FAE is the same length as the BMW-spec Bosch. Funny, the suppliers don't mention this, just as they don't mention the percentage of getting a bad FAE sensor.

Part of the problem is reputable niche market suppliers offering these things up without any warnings, giving the impression that they are good enough. You'd think the big name suppliers in our field would be aware or test the parts before offering them. What's even worse is when I mentioned this issue to one supplier, I was told it's "hogwash"; clearly there is an ignorance or "know-it-all" issue among suppliers.

And let's face it, anyone who buys from a non-Porsche dealer is looking to save some money. Should we just consider these owners an "amazement"? Unworthy of Porsche ownership?

I doubt Porsche would survive on serving the top 1% alone....
Old 05-14-2018, 04:31 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Looking for the best quality first, then the best price on that best quality part has always worked well for me, be it my ratty, old '88 Jeep Cherokee or '85 Ford F250, or Audi, BMW, and Mercedes in my family. All the vehicles I have are old, but they all need to be as reliable as possible. Getting stuck somewhere is never ok because I saved a few bucks on a part. Every non-Motorcraft TFI module I've tested comes up bad, right out of the box!

I bet every 944 owner on this bbd can afford to insure their car gets the best quality parts where it matters. It's just a choice to actually do it.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

What complicates matters is the inability to discern quality. After all, FAE sure looks impressive http://www.fae.es/en/introduction

And it’s not always a guarantee that OEM is good; a search on water pumps reveals many dissatisfied with the Laso, even though it’s double the cost of many preferred units. Heck, sometimes aftermarket is an improvement, though that’s usually indicated by the cost. I’m thinking TT bearings for one
Old 05-14-2018, 02:05 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

I agree. Fortunately one of the nice things about old cars is that ground has likely been covered by many before us. When I first started researching these cars four years ago I quickly figured out that the safest bet for speed/reference sensors was Bosch. If in the end those give me fits, I think you could easily fit a industrial-grade component from someone like Honeywell, GE, etc. Or some contemporary part from some other car? The sky's the limit...
Old 05-15-2018, 12:35 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that there are Bosch sensors available (from Bosch) that are the exact same as the Bosch ones that Porsche sells.
I don't think you're wrong Joe.

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Only ones I’ve ever heard of on any forums are genuine Porsche (Bosch) which are the correct length or genuine BMW (Bosch) which work but they are longer so you need to loop the excess cable. I also have a genuine Jaguar (Bosch) part number in my notes from a while ago that someone said also worked and was the correct length, idk though, Jag# DBC2144.
I swear I have no affiliation with Zim's, but they're a convenient example for this exercise.
There are (at least) 3 different genuine Bosch Sensors. Zim's has all three.
OE version with 'proper' 15" wire - $140.
The version in Dan's pic above and the same ones I buy, with 17" wire - $57.
The BMW version with 24" wire - $87

As wire/cable goes, an extra couple of inches is nothing. I can deal with that, to get a near-perfect genuine Bosch sensor at a good value.

I fully understand that this is not a cheap car to own. But paying 4x the price for a Bosch sensor, just so it can come in a box marked "Porsche" is not something I'm willing to do.
My thoughts exactly.
I buy enough genuine Porsche parts because there isn't another quality option for them.
In ~30 years of owning German cars, buying Bosch replacement parts hasn't failed me once. (knock on wood)
Old 05-15-2018, 02:35 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Interesting thread, thanks guys! Currently Rock Auto offers 3 options:

Bosch 261210028 (listed as a Camshaft sensor for BMW's) at $25.79 (!!)
AIRTEX/WELLS 5S1875 listed at $61.79
Standard Motor Products PC88 at $120.79
Both of the last two require a TPS adapter to complete the install per rock auto.
As I maintain 2 944s, I'm thinking the Bosch 028 unit is a no brainer to have on hand at $26!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:29 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Now... if only we could find similar ‘good value’ for engine mounts........ geez. Seems to be no good option for those yet

Quick Reply: Reference sensor manufacturer options - quality?