Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raising / relocating shifter (Race car)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Raising / relocating shifter (Race car)

Has anyone done this? Any experiences?

I would like the move the driver position rearward and raise the shifter close to the wheel.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I moved my seat back 2 inches and left the shifter in place.

If you just want to move the shifter up a little bit, I think you could make a "riser bracket" that goes between the shifter mount and the torque tube. Although you might not be able to get more than an inch before the shift rod hits the center tunnel.

To move it rearward, cut a section out of the shift rod and weld it back together, then make new mounting holes in the torque tube.

You could just make a longer handle, but then you're increasing the "throw"... so maybe couple that with a short-shift kit?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Van, I am planing to move more than 2 inches in my Turbo (around 6 inches).

Actually it has been done in my SP2 car (Comat's Riviera blue car). I am sure you know this car and btw, I will join you in the cup next year :-)

Back in the Turbo, I already have a short shift kit and I would like to keep the short throw too. The only option is to raise the shifter system.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyril
Van, I am planing to move more than 2 inches in my Turbo (around 6 inches). Actually it has been done in my SP2 car (Comat's Riviera blue car). I am sure you know this car and btw, I will join you in the cup next year :-) Back in the Turbo, I already have a short shift kit and I would like to keep the short throw too. The only option is to raise the shifter system.
Oh, fantastic! I'm good friends with Bill. I look forward to seeing you on the track!

In the blue car, did they actually move the pedal pivots? Or just make extensions? For 2", I just did extensions.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Van, in my SP2, the shifter is already relocated rearward (you can see the Race Keeper installed in the original shifter location), the steering wheel also with a spacer and the pedals are adjustable.
My plan is to use the same approach in my Turbo but with the shifter higher and closer to wheel.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2014, 10:05 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

are you trying to move the seat back for weight distribution?
or are you very tall?
i am 6'6" and fit perfectly with the seat in the full-back position but the wheel could use an extension ideally. shifter in a good spot though.

for the shifter, howabout making a "dog leg" lever? cut the lever in half, weld in a horizontal section to move the top of the lever to where you want it?
Old 11-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

This is all weight distribution for handling.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

The back and low position has multiple advantages.

here is a good example: http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/09/...er_the_m3_gt2/

As Van mentionned, weight distribution but also security as you are now in the center of roll the cage.

I am 1.75m (5'7'') so, in a 944, I am very close to to the front part of the cage and it is dangerous. Actually, without sliders, with the seat as low as possible, if I move may head, I can also touch with my helmet the left rubber padding of my cage. In the 944, the more you go toward the rear, the more you have clearance with the cage.
Another aspect with a halo seat is the access (in and out).

That is why I am looking to move rearward. As I need to move the shifter, it is an opportunity to raise it closer to the steering wheel.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

For us small people, it's also easier to get out in a hurry when the seat is further back. There is more clearance with the A pillar.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:12 AM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I did this by welding a steel rod to the shift lever and bending it a bit. This moved the shift **** a few inches higher and further back. I have a floor-mounted Tilton pedal box, QR and a 1" spacer on my steering wheel and use my seat 2 or 3 clicks from the back most position of the tracks. This gave me a comfortable distance from the halo of the roll bar. I'm 5'7", more torso than leg.

Quick Reply: Raising / relocating shifter (Race car)