Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Question ** HELP **

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:57 PM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 951 Question ** HELP **

Hi all. I have a problem with my 89 951 S. A while back, my car started idling very roughly. Normally, I would just blip the throttle until the bouncing revs straightened themselves out, but this time, the engine sputtered and stalled and wouldn't restart. I didn't smell any gas, so I ruled out flooding as a problem. The car had it's plugs and wires and cap/rotor changed last year, so I couldn't understand it. After about 20 minutes of cranking, the car started up and I was heading home on the highway when it began heaving and buckling under acceleration. I quickly put it in neutral, and the revs/engine evened themselves out. But as soon as I gave it any kind of gas, the car buckled and felt like it was going to stall any second. After driving on the freeway for about 2 miles ON FRICTION POINT ALONE (can you believe it?), the engine roared back to life and I sped home asap and parked it in the garage. I started it yesterday, and it idled fine. What could have caused my trouble? Bad gas? No air? A faulty sensor? Anybody have any ideas here that could point me in the right direction? Thank you all very much in advance.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:06 PM
lswanie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its idleing roughly it could be a disconnected vacum hose but i dont think that would cause the other problems u described
Old 08-20-2003, 03:08 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

It sounds like a sensor to me.. probably one of the flywheel ones, but the TPS (throttle position sensor) is a frequent problem too. I don't think the TPS could cause a no-start, but the flywheel ones sure could. If/when you replace the flywheel ones, make sure NOT to lose any spacers that are in place, they are CRITICAL. You won't need to set the gap if you don't loosen the bracket.

I'm no expert, but I have BTDT a few times.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:38 AM
meng
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a number of different things but your sypmtoms were exactly the same as mine qhen my dme was dying- got a new one and problem cleared up.

Quick Reply: 951 Question ** HELP **