Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharging the 944... questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014 | 09:28 AM
crooster
Rennlist Member

I have seen Darren's car in person and the quality of the work is awesome. I can't wait to see how it pulls up the back straight at Mosport. It should get out of 5B better than my car but I should eventually pull him back in once the K27/8 spools up.
Old 12-13-2014 | 11:49 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by willrobinson
Yes I was thinking of doing that, and conveniently an S2 engine came up on ebay for cheap because its from an accident damaged car and the engine mount lugs are partially broken off the block, it also needs a rebuild. NA would keep life simpler and more reliable, not to mention no lag and thump of boost which is not ideal in RWD despite the balance of the 944.
I had searched, but havent been able to find a decent thread of sombodys conversion process. if it was possible I agree it would be a simpler option.
The thing about supercharging is the higher roof than an S2?
I was looking at a second hand wolf 3D ECM that seems to offer extensive tuning opportunities and might make the whole thing more managable.
The negativity toward supercharging I find hard to swallow when in theory if a 951 can make good power, why not a supercharged motor of the same build quality? I feel I would prefer the instant response of the charger for what I want, and am interested in it as a challenging project.
Its a unicorn project around here, everyone would love one however few have the skill to make it happen successfully. Darren did beautiful work, but he is the exception.

The s2 is a better base for an SC, but the torque alone may be enough for you. I'd try to get a motor that isn't broken though, rebuilding + fixing that broken tab won't be cheap. Your better off paying more for a motor that doesn't need that.
Old 12-13-2014 | 12:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

S2 is superior to the 968 as far as driving-around torque goes.
But either of them should benefit nicely from the blower.
Old 12-13-2014 | 07:25 PM
willrobinson
Instructor

Yea, I think most people approach it as a very cheap way to get to boost the NA, and for sure DarrenD has succeeded this far in doing it cheap and I look forward to reading any updates. particularly the success with putting the throttle body after the charger.
I intend to do the build like any other, I fully expect to build or pick up a built gearbox and other necessary upgrades, but first I would like to get the setup together and get it to run to see if I can have similar success. I work with engines every day working for Caterpillar albeit diesel engines so im not daunted by the project.
As for the economics of the project, things are a little different here in Aus. I picked my NA up for $4k needing minor mechanical work, the chassis and body are in excellent condition with no rust whatsoever, somthing I love having moved from the UK. I have seldom seen a 951 for under $20k here so there is a large margin in here to play with, but as with most motorsport projects, they rarely are done for sensible economic reasons.
I would love to hear from anyone running the Wolf 3D ECM to see how it has been for them, does it really work well with all the OEM sensors? etc
How are others considering managing their tuning? Can it be as simple as a Tune and some larger injectors and MAF or could a MAP sensor be used with the stock DME with some clever wizardry?
Its a pity I have had no sucess contacting Joshua at Rogue, would love to speak with him, maybe get that new DME he builds etc, has he completely abandoned the tuning business?
Old 12-13-2014 | 07:59 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Thanks for the kudos guys. I'm blushing.

Sadly it's winter here so my car is put away. No updates until the spring. The car will not be able to keep up with a turbo on a long straight, I have no delusions about that. The car does both Autocross and track duty and having owned turbo cars before, I wanted the immediate power delivery of a supercharger. I also wanted to challenge myself to build a supercharged car and my 944 was the perfect candidate. The car now makes fantastic low end torque. I have lots more work to do before tracking the car in the spring, I will be sure to post dyno numbers if/when I get them.

If anybody is curious. I am running the excellent Rogue Tuning DME and MAF conversion with the DME tuner for real-time on the fly adjustability. The Rogue DME logger is also a great tool for keeping track of whats happening. I am running brand new Bosch 951 Injectors, an MSD HVCII coil and use an old netbook. I can't imagine tuning the car any other way. The Rogue setup takes all the guesswork out of tuning.

Joshua at Rogue has not abandoned the tuning biz, he's just scaled things back. Keep trying, it's well worth it if supercharging is your chosen path.
Old 12-14-2014 | 02:31 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by willrobinson
Yea, I think most people approach it as a very cheap way to get to boost the NA, and for sure DarrenD has succeeded this far in doing it cheap and I look forward to reading any updates. particularly the success with putting the throttle body after the charger.
I intend to do the build like any other, I fully expect to build or pick up a built gearbox and other necessary upgrades, but first I would like to get the setup together and get it to run to see if I can have similar success. I work with engines every day working for Caterpillar albeit diesel engines so im not daunted by the project.
As for the economics of the project, things are a little different here in Aus. I picked my NA up for $4k needing minor mechanical work, the chassis and body are in excellent condition with no rust whatsoever, somthing I love having moved from the UK. I have seldom seen a 951 for under $20k here so there is a large margin in here to play with, but as with most motorsport projects, they rarely are done for sensible economic reasons.
I would love to hear from anyone running the Wolf 3D ECM to see how it has been for them, does it really work well with all the OEM sensors? etc
How are others considering managing their tuning? Can it be as simple as a Tune and some larger injectors and MAF or could a MAP sensor be used with the stock DME with some clever wizardry?
Its a pity I have had no sucess contacting Joshua at Rogue, would love to speak with him, maybe get that new DME he builds etc, has he completely abandoned the tuning business?
Josh is smart as hell and always busy. Email him and he should get back to you. I'm pretty sure the DME hes making is keeping him quite busy. Give it some time.
Old 12-14-2014 | 11:34 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Darren, did your car keep AC?
If so...how much money/beer would you want, to reproduce your entire setup?
Old 12-14-2014 | 01:10 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Darren, did your car keep AC?
If so...how much money/beer would you want, to reproduce your entire setup?
I did not keep the A/C. It had been removed 14 years prior to me getting the car. Being in Canada it's not a big deal. A large part of what made it so easy to fit the blower was the fact that I utilized the Lindsey racing A/C delete bracket as a base for the mount.

As far as recreating the kit. I've been asked that question already by a few people including my brother and my answer is, I'm not interested. The car needed to be pretty heavily modified to simplify the install. Manual headlights, W/W fluid bottle delete, Turbo rad, notching the body for the Intercooler, FG turbo nose and many, many other mods. It wouldn't be realistic to try and build a setup for a different car. My car has over 200,000 miles, if not more. It was a great candidate for a blower setup. My brothers car has 65,000 miles, I wouldn't even consider hacking up his car to do a blower setup.

Also, if something fails on my car, it's no big deal, I can rack it up to R&D and go make a newer better part. I used to build and sell parts for Hondas back in the day and although I enjoyed it, it's just not worth it. My standards would be far too high, and my time too precious, to make an affordable, sellable kit. My advice is to use the few 944's that have been supercharged as a template and design/build your own setup. That way you know exactly what your up against if something isn't working.

I am happy to help, through advice, anybody willing to tackle something like this. I also, once again, have to give Joshua at Rogue Tuning huge credit for helping me, without him and his products I wouldn't have even started something like this.

I can't wait for the spring to get going on my car again.
Old 12-14-2014 | 07:07 PM
willrobinson
Instructor

I hear what your saying, id expect to end up with something similar, I also plan an elaborate intercooler setup, I feel it would be best to get the most out of the supercharger, somthing low capacity but highly efficient. I would love to have a set up like on WRC cars I used to wok at with a front entry and rear exit out through the bonnet for maximum air flow. Im also reading about water injection too, as summer temps here in oz get very high. From what I have read it seems to work well with the roots type blower.
Thanks for that about Rogue, I will be patient and try to make contact again. I would love the new DME for its advantages. Would it be possible to have the new DME manage the entire setup I wonder? How does the rogue DME logger work? How do you connect it to your DME? Are you using an o2 sensor with some kind of setup?
Also the MSD coil, I take it it is necessary for the forced induction, what are you using to control the coil, MSD 6, CSI? What control benefits does it give you?
Old 12-15-2014 | 07:44 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Read up on the Rogue site about the MSD coil. Joshua does a great job explaining it's merits.

The coil is controlled by the Rogue modified DME.

The new DME will control everything.

I am using an AEM wideband O2.
Old 12-15-2014 | 09:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Darren,

can you describe in juicy detail how the car drives?

and top run videos are even better.
Old 12-15-2014 | 11:45 PM
drive135mph
Instructor

Update: It begins, I scored a Tomos sprint with an a35 2-stroke for free!!! the funny part is that based on my calculation it should save in gas, over the course of the year, almost exactly the cost of the supercharger project lol. My whole ride to work is through the city so this is a great solution for me and other city dwelling 944 owners who don't mind the cold.

I plan to start a build thread when I start gathering parts in earnest but I thought I would throw this up on this thread.

Quick Reply: Supercharging the 944... questions