Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race seats recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014 | 11:18 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Default Race seats recommendations

Looking for input on what model race seats that are pretty much plug and play for my 968. I slapped an OMP ) dont know the model) and another one in and there were issues. The worst was the OMP that I had to actually make adapters to move it closer to the tunnel so it would fit and more door would close. Then there were seat belt isues.

Anyone have a slick set up?

Thanks for you comments.
Old 11-09-2014 | 01:13 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Any real FIA seat is probably not going to be plug and play.

If there is one that is plug and play, it would probably be a Recaro Pole Position, because that is what Porsche has supplied in Clubsport-oriented cars for many years. I don't know if that seat is still available, or if it is still FIA homologated.

Belts are always an issue - they need to be routed correctly to be used with the seat. Their routing may sometimes depend on the seat position as well.

You can see if anyone makes brackets specifically for a 968, that mount the seat along the same axis the stock one mounted. But most brackets are universal, and aren't built specifically for the 968.

So, finding a bracket that not only mounts it in the center AND in a position you like is pretty unlikely. That said, there are surely setups that fit better than others.
Old 11-09-2014 | 03:57 PM
16valver
Racer

I know Corbeau makes some ok (meaning affordable) FIA legal seats that are popular in the euro racing scene. Seat rails/brackets for the 944/968 as well. I believe these are a little lower profile, but don't have personal experience mounting one in one of our cars. Check it out:
http://corbeau.com/fia-seats/forza-sport.html

Rails/Brackets, they have these:
http://corbeau.com/porsche-944-930-7...-brackets.html
and these:
http://corbeau.com/porsche-944-930-h...-brackets.html

Obviously your application is the ultimate decider, but in case you haven't checked them out yet... Cheers!
Old 11-09-2014 | 10:37 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Good start. Thank you

This would only be the learner car for wife/kids, DE and maybe AX so I would not need FIA
Old 11-10-2014 | 09:26 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

I have been happy with my Corbeau A4 seats. I took a bit of a risk picking them up used (barely - the passenger seat had never been out of the box), but got them for a great price and have found them very comfortable for everyday and supportive on track.

Seat and stock seatbelt mounting was right on and simple, with everything nicely aligned. The belt pass-throughs are large and above my shoulders.

I had looked at the current Recaro Pole Position seats, but found the the shoulder strap pass-throughs sat too low in the seat for me. I'm not tall, at 5'-10", but the holes were well below my shoulders.

I do have sliders with the seats, and the seats are supposed to have been "shaved" to sit lower approximately 1". This is a good thing, if true, as I will say with a helmet on my head very nearly touches the roof (it is a sunroof car). For this reason I have decided, at least for now, to not go with a harness/HANS setup, as I feel I need the opportunity to move should the car ever roll.
Attached Images   
Old 11-10-2014 | 12:04 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
I have been happy with my Corbeau A4 seats. I took a bit of a risk picking them up used (barely - the passenger seat had never been out of the box), but got them for a great price and have found them very comfortable for everyday and supportive on track.

Seat and stock seatbelt mounting was right on and simple, with everything nicely aligned. The belt pass-throughs are large and above my shoulders.

I had looked at the current Recaro Pole Position seats, but found the the shoulder strap pass-throughs sat too low in the seat for me. I'm not tall, at 5'-10", but the holes were well below my shoulders.

I do have sliders with the seats, and the seats are supposed to have been "shaved" to sit lower approximately 1". This is a good thing, if true, as I will say with a helmet on my head very nearly touches the roof (it is a sunroof car). For this reason I have decided, at least for now, to not go with a harness/HANS setup, as I feel I need the opportunity to move should the car ever roll.

How would you compare these to sport seats? I can't make up my mind on which to get.
Old 11-10-2014 | 01:26 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jackkthemackk
How would you compare these to sport seats? I can't make up my mind on which to get.
I don't have a lot of experience with the OEM 944 sport seats. This car had the base seats, which is why I went looking for something aftermarket. They were pretty comfortable, but provided no support on track.

I will say in terms of fit and support, the Corbeau's are very similar to sport seats in my '08 Cayman which is a good thing! They are not as comfortable, but aren't far behind and do provide very good support, without being a full race bucket seat.

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 11-10-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-2014 | 01:06 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Gotta say I'm not a fan of the reclinable "race seats" for a car with harnesses/rollbar installed. They're fine if you don't have that other stuff, but if you do, you really ought to have a fixed back seat.

That way there's no chance of the seat breaking and you losing the proper harness support in the event of a crash.

For fixed back seats I really like the Recaro SPG XL. You can mount them directly to the floor using the factory seat holes and the recaro side plates, or you can add a set of the recaro sliders as well.
Old 11-11-2014 | 06:23 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by docwyte
Gotta say I'm not a fan of the reclinable "race seats" for a car with harnesses/rollbar installed. They're fine if you don't have that other stuff, but if you do, you really ought to have a fixed back seat.

That way there's no chance of the seat breaking and you losing the proper harness support in the event of a crash.

For fixed back seats I really like the Recaro SPG XL. You can mount them directly to the floor using the factory seat holes and the recaro side plates, or you can add a set of the recaro sliders as well.
Stock seats are meant to be used with seats 3-point belts. 3-point belts are meant to be used with stock seats.

Harnesses are meant to be used with fixed-back FIA seats. FIA seats are meant to be used with harnesses and a cage and driver equipment.

The "they sorta look like race seats because they have shoulder holes in them but they really aren't because they're two-piece" seats don't do it for me. Since I personally wouldn't use them with harnesses, I would spend more on stock sport seats as the interior was designed with those in mind.

The whole in-between / compromise thing doesn't work IMO.
Old 11-11-2014 | 06:41 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
I don't know if that seat is still available, or if it is still FIA homologated.
This is still one of the best selling Recaro seats andthere are FIA and ABE options. First is homologated for racing, second for road.

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/en...fia/print.html
Old 11-12-2014 | 08:30 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Stock seats are meant to be used with seats 3-point belts. 3-point belts are meant to be used with stock seats.

Harnesses are meant to be used with fixed-back FIA seats. FIA seats are meant to be used with harnesses and a cage and driver equipment.
Again, this is the primary reason I have chosen to remain with the stock 3-point belts. I picked up the seats at a great price, and they are MUCH more supportive than the seats which where in the car.

Quick Reply: Race seats recommendations